Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two times today I take people to the airport and leave with no pax. This is after at least 5 or six circles to both terminals. Wtf is happening. Yes, I'm checking flight times etc. I wait as long as I can and move when yellow coats appear. There are so many drivers there. Do you guys bother. Several times I get a drop off followed by a pickup, but today and once last week no dice. What's your strategy besides going into the terminal and parking. I don't want to pay $4 and I don't want to get deactivated for being caught. Btw those yellow coats are asses

·
Registered
4 Posts
two times today I take people to the airport and leave with no pax. This is after at least 5 or six circles to both terminals. Wtf is happening. Yes, I'm checking flight times etc. I wait as long as I can and move when yellow coats appear. There are so many drivers there. Do you guys bother. Several times I get a drop off followed by a pickup, but today and once last week no dice. What's your strategy besides going into the terminal and parking. I don't want to pay $4 and I don't want to get deactivated for being caught. Btw those yellow coats are asses
Yes, I agree with you. Attempting to get a ping at DIA, at least for me has proven to be a complete waste of time. I take a minimum of one pax to DIA per week and I have tried several different strategies to get an outbound ping after the drop-off. A couple of weeks ago I parked in short term parking and waited in the terminal for about a half hour. Then, I moved on to the cell phone lot connected to the convenience store/restaurant for about a half hour, no luck. After that I moved onto the Pikes Peak lot for an hour and half with no luck. Finally, I circled the terminal 2 times and decided to call it quits. Just like you, I checked incoming flight times and sure enough, there were plenty of flights coming in around that time frame. My new rule is that I will drop my pax off, circle the terminal once and if nothings biting, I leave. The day I get a pax after dropping off at DIA will be miraculous.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just annoying. There must be several out there cheating the system and making it unfair for the rest of the drivers. There needs to be a better system because driving back with no pax sucks. Don't get me wrong, I have definitely recieved pings but it seems from about 9:00a.m to 2:00 p.m the airport has way too many drivers waiting around.. Maybe I'll just leave during those hours,but it sucks. Is everyone hijacking passengers by doing the park and get pinged strategy? I've read post here of people grabbing passengers and walking then to their cars that are parked in short term. My passengers have told me that they think this is creepy and don't approve. I refuse to bring myself to that level. I don't want to give uber any reasons to deactivate me. I also heard that some drivers pay off the yellow coats to look the other way.. I had a run in with one of them the other day as I was waiting for a pax. I stopped for 15 sec got out of the car and he told me to keep moving. I told him that I'm picking up and he says you are hustling and I need to take it somewhere else.. Really? I'm hustling. Uber pays you a pax pick up and drop off fee for the airport.in the meantime he's calling DPD and I inform him that while he's harassing me a car has been stopped behind him the entire time.. I had to go all the way around and waste my gas.. It's just annoying

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's just annoying. There must be several out there cheating the system and making it unfair for the rest of the drivers. There needs to be a better system because driving back with no pax sucks. Don't get me wrong, I have definitely recieved pings but it seems from about 9:00a.m to 2:00 p.m the airport has way too many drivers waiting around.. Maybe I'll just leave during those hours,but it sucks. Is everyone hijacking passengers by doing the park and get pinged strategy? I've read post here of people grabbing passengers and walking then to their cars that are parked in short term. My passengers have told me that they think this is creepy and don't approve. I refuse to bring myself to that level. I don't want to give uber any reasons to deactivate me. I also heard that some drivers pay off the yellow coats to look the other way.. I had a run in with one of them the other day as I was waiting for a pax. I stopped for 15 sec got out of the car and he told me to keep moving. I told him that I'm picking up and he says you are hustling and I need to take it somewhere else.. Really? I'm hustling. Uber pays you a pax pick up and drop off fee for the airport.in the meantime he's calling DPD and I inform him that while he's harassing me a car has been stopped behind him the entire time.. I had to go all the way around and waste my gas.. It's just annoying
I share your opinion that this problem is annoying, and I understand that venting is helpful to most, including myself. However, I can't give a definite answer as to why it is this way because there is really a lack of solid evidence. I understand things don't typically change by exercising complacency, but I don't have the energy or care to dig in deep on this issue. I view driving for Uber as an experiment. Everyday I drive at different times and different routes in order to see what works the best. Uber's current business model makes it hard for us to work as a team, thus we are all essentially competing with each other. This means we must experiment in order to get one step ahead of the next guy and to facilitate income growth. On a side note, I believe R44KDEN mentioned in a previous thread that DIA and Uber may implement a first in first out system for DIA. This would be a smart and fair move for drivers, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. On another side note, I'm trying to not get too attached to DIA trips because in the relativity near future the light rail will be extended to the airport. Thus, leading to less Uber rides to and from DIA. That's just my two cents. Feel free to pm me if you feel like getting it out again or collaborating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree and align with the comments above. Tried all the 'tips and tricks' to limited or no avail at DIA for return pax. As a team player, though, I will share with you to not discount the cell phone lot. I've actually gotten MORE pings in the lot (vs terminal circuits and parking) from pax who prefer not to wait for the Car Rental Agency Bus or the Long Term Shuttle. Short trips, yes. But it keeps your ride count up and time at DIA more 'valuable'. Just my $.02 to share in the groove and keep your income coming in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree and align with the comments above. Tried all the 'tips and tricks' to limited or no avail at DIA for return pax. As a team player, though, I will share with you to not discount the cell phone lot. I've actually gotten MORE pings in the lot (vs terminal circuits and parking) from pax who prefer not to wait for the Car Rental Agency Bus or the Long Term Shuttle. Short trips, yes. But it keeps your ride count up and time at DIA more 'valuable'. Just my $.02 to share in the groove and keep your income coming in.
Thank you! Any advice given to me has value! I also admire the team player mentality you possess. Good luck to you and to all on this Friday night!

·
Registered
423 Posts
DIA can be very very frustrating. Some days I've waited 90+ mins for a return ride. At least 3 times I've driven back to Denver empty - completely pissed off with the state of the Uber-sphere. But then, luck changes and I've had 3 UberSelect rides in a row (for some strange reason, Tuesdays is the best day for UberSelect trips). Towards the end of driving X/Select, all I did was DIA runs. I agree with driverco, I'd much rather focus on utilization of my car and spend time waiting than driving the car into the ground.

I've only ever had 2 pings from the cell phone lot. On the 4th July weekend, I've been pinged at Tower Rd (Sunday night). When I transitioned to Black, I've been pinged 7 miles away. Black requests cast a wider net and I've seen requests as far as 30 mins out.

I think DIA is worth persisting with. Some may not like the strategy, but parking the car in the casual lot and waiting has worked the best for me. As far as I'm concerned were independent contractors and its up to us to work out the best possible way to maximize our revenue. I do know from experience, that you will always get a ping around 7.30am if you are up on departures (I always go to the West side).

Black is a different beast altogether. The pick up process is idiotic. You accept the ping as normal. You then have to call the pax and ask for flight arrival details (actual flight no) and pax last name. You then have to go to the office in the commercial holding lot where 2 humorless officials ask for all these details (you have to actually park the car, get out, go into the office), they then give you a form (3 copies, which they keep one) and you drive to Level 5, give the second copy to the attendant, who then lets you in and you wait at the limo queue. This whole stupid ordeal could take you 7-8 mins. Or more.

A lot of my Black pick ups, the pax tells me they are at Level 6 or Level 4. Maybe half tell me they are on 5, and when I tell them its quicker for me to collect them on 4 or 6, they always comply. I've never had a pax complain or tell me it was creepy that I met them on 4 and helped them with their bags. And yes, it does help that the fare ex DIA to anywhere is probably in the order of $95+

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DIA can be very very frustrating. Some days I've waited 90+ mins for a return ride. At least 3 times I've driven back to Denver empty - completely pissed off with the state of the Uber-sphere. But then, luck changes and I've had 3 UberSelect rides in a row (for some strange reason, Tuesdays is the best day for UberSelect trips). Towards the end of driving X/Select, all I did was DIA runs. I agree with driverco, I'd much rather focus on utilization of my car and spend time waiting than driving the car into the ground.

I've only ever had 2 pings from the cell phone lot. On the 4th July weekend, I've been pinged at Tower Rd (Sunday night). When I transitioned to Black, I've been pinged 7 miles away. Black requests cast a wider net and I've seen requests as far as 30 mins out.

I think DIA is worth persisting with. Some may not like the strategy, but parking the car in the casual lot and waiting has worked the best for me. As far as I'm concerned were independent contractors and its up to us to work out the best possible way to maximize our revenue. I do know from experience, that you will always get a ping around 7.30am if you are up on departures (I always go to the West side).

Black is a different beast altogether. The pick up process is idiotic. You accept the ping as normal. You then have to call the pax and ask for flight arrival details (actual flight no) and pax last name. You then have to go to the office in the commercial holding lot where 2 humorless officials ask for all these details (you have to actually park the car, get out, go into the office), they then give you a form (3 copies, which they keep one) and you drive to Level 5, give the second copy to the attendant, who then lets you in and you wait at the limo queue. This whole stupid ordeal could take you 7-8 mins. Or more.

A lot of my Black pick ups, the pax tells me they are at Level 6 or Level 4. Maybe half tell me they are on 5, and when I tell them its quicker for me to collect them on 4 or 6, they always comply. I've never had a pax complain or tell me it was creepy that I met them on 4 and helped them with their bags. And yes, it does help that the fare ex DIA to anywhere is probably in the order of $95+
I appreciate your advice and will definitely be trying this out. I'm envious of your black fares!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well .. I tried the park and ping.. It worked and worked quick on the west side level 4. I just had my pax meet me at my door. Question though, how do you identify your rider? I asked two people before I got the right guy. He didn't seem too worried about me parking , said he's seen it at other airports. The 4.00 was worth it I guess. Just worried this will effect ratings. Does it? Do you just tell pax this is the way they want to do it or do you even discuss the issue?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well .. I tried the park and ping.. It worked and worked quick on the west side level 4. I just had my pax meet me at my door. Question though, how do you identify your rider? I asked two people before I got the right guy. He didn't seem too worried about me parking , said he's seen it at other airports. The 4.00 was worth it I guess. Just worried this will effect ratings. Does it? Do you just tell pax this is the way they want to do it or do you even discuss the issue?
I dont even discuss the issue and it hasnt affected my ratings. You might say something like "the airport is getting so busy now, that this way is much easier for riders". Or make up an excuse that you just dropped someone off at Level 4 and needed to go inside for a few mins. Just gloss over it. Remember, the rider just wants to be in a good clean car in a short time and on his way safely to his destination. Period.

And a big hat tip to our resident expert KevRyde who convinced me that the whole park and wait concept was worth it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I dont even discuss the issue and it hasnt affected my ratings. You might say something like "the airport is getting so busy now, that this way is much easier for riders". Or make up an excuse that you just dropped someone off at Level 4 and needed to go inside for a few mins. Just gloss over it. Remember, the rider just wants to be in a good clean car in a short time and on his way safely to his destination. Period.

And a big hat tip to our resident expert KevRyde who convinced me that the whole park and wait concept was worth it.[/QUOTE
how do you identify the rider?

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
And a big hat tip to our resident expert KevRyde who convinced me that the whole park and wait concept was worth it.
Ugh I got called out today on Terminal East level 5 by the young (22ish?) blond landside services guy who for the second time - the first time was maybe a couple of months ago - approached me and asked if I needed transportation or if I was waiting for a friend or loved one. I of course lied and said I was waiting for my boss to which he replied something to the effect that he's seen me here at my "spot" multiple times. I then lied some more and said yeah I'm here several times a month. It doesn't help that I have very distinct physical traits that make it difficult for me to blend in, so hopefully Mr. "young and alert" will get promoted soon. After hearing the canned "report any suspicious behavior" announcements over the PA and letting my paranoia get to me, I decided I better move my base of operations to the Terminal West side (and right after paying another $3 to park on the West side, I get a Lyft ping from a rider on the Terminal East side).

For the past month or so I've been experimenting some with driving to DIA empty when, for example, I've ended up in Aurora near the northern end of 225. Then this morning, I started my typical downtown serpentine loop to hit all the major hotels with the hopes of snagging an airport ride, but after over an hour and only two short rides, I decided after the second ride to hightail it to DIA. It took me just over 20 minutes - it's easier to speed when you don't have a judgy rider in your back seat - but it took me close to an hour after I got there to snag a ride (it was the third Lyft request, the first two Lyft requests didn't pan out).

I've said before that luck is a major component of this gig, but to read what a few others have posted here, some of you seem to have no problem snagging rides *to* the airport (almost as if you discovered a way to cherry pick). What's your secret? I've certainly shared plenty of my own secrets. Please spill.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh I got called out today on Terminal East level 5 by the young (22ish?) blond landside services guy who for the second time - the first time was maybe a couple of months ago - approached me and asked if I needed transportation or if I was waiting for a friend or loved one. I of course lied and said I was waiting for my boss to which he replied something to the effect that he's seen me here at my "spot" multiple times. I then lied some more and said yeah I'm here several times a month. It doesn't help that I have very distinct physical traits that make it difficult for me to blend in, so hopefully Mr. "young and alert" will get promoted soon. After hearing the canned "report any suspicious behavior" announcements over the PA and letting my paranoia get to me, I decided I better move my base of operations to the Terminal West side (and right after paying another $3 to park on the West side, I get a Lyft ping from a rider on the Terminal East side).

For the past month or so I've been experimenting some with driving to DIA empty when, for example, I've ended up in Aurora near the northern end of 225. Then this morning, I started my typical downtown serpentine loop to hit all the major hotels with the hopes of snagging an airport ride, but after over an hour and only two short rides, I decided after the second ride to hightail it to DIA. It took me just over 20 minutes - it's easier to speed when you don't have a judgy rider in your back seat - but it took me close to an hour after I got there to snag a ride (it was the third Lyft request, the first two Lyft requests didn't pan out).

I've said before that luck is a major component of this gig, but to read what a few others have posted here, some of you seem to have no problem snagging rides *to* the airport (almost as if you discovered a way to cherry pick). What's your secret? I've certainly shared plenty of my own secrets. Please spill.
Don't discount the affluent areas(burbs) in the mornings. Most of my airport runs have come from residential as o know the hotels are heavily occupied by other drivers. However, while in my "sweet spot" this morning I noticed several other drivers on the pax app in the area. In guessing they are catching on. Friday mornings and Thursday afternoons have lots of airport runs from business parks as business travelers are finishing up and getting home. I like to skirt these areas in addition to the residential districts to the west of Denver that have longer trips anyway. Also, most of them let me take e-470 which adds a touch of miles to the fare. Tell them it's much quicker and much more pleasant ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So security is catching on then. I'm sure someone monitors this forum as well. Would hate to see them get more proactive in their efforts..just can't win with these folks. One of them physically hit my car to tell me to get going. It pissed me off so bad.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I'm sure someone monitors this forum as well.
I wouldn't take it that far. I think in my case it's simply a matter of one particular young and alert landside services guy who happens to be paying attention combined with the fact that I'm 6'5", have a shaved head and goatee (I get "Walter White" a lot), and I wear funky glasses, gauge earrings and compression knee socks...oh wow now that I think about it, maybe he was actually hitting on me! :)

As far as the driver shenanigans on levels 4 and 6, even when drivers hide their trade dress card, Lyft glowstache, etc., it's not all that difficult to spot which vehicles are rideshare drivers. Beyond that visual obviousness, the next logical step would be for the security folks to use the rider app to monitor the terminal sides for an overabundance of available cars.

Screenshot_2015-10-08-13-48-56-1.png

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I just posted this to another thread that I thought would also be relevant here...
I guess you could say I bowled a "303" yesterday - in less than 6 hours I picked up three rides to DIA from downtown and got 3 rides back either right away or with only one loop (so no parking fees in order to snag a pick up!). I don't think I've ever had a day where my ratio of trip(paid) miles to total miles was as high as 75%. I got one of my Uber riders to download Lyft on the ride to DIA, so I got the $10 referral fee because he took Lyft home from the airport in his hometown. I also got a $10 tip from another Uber rider I picked up at DIA - I think it's been several months since gotten a tip from an Uber rider I've picked up or dropped off at DIA.

One handy nugget that I recently picked up from driverco that I have now implemented is to cancel requests when I'm in town/downtown and I know the locations are not hotel specific or approximate and therefore not very likely to be airport rides, so thanks man!

View attachment 15462

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts