Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started Ubering Jan 7th, 2016. Just need some advice regarding Protocol ..

1) Once I get to the destination even if it's not exactly known but I am as close to the "pin" as possible -- Is that when I start the Five minute count down? I read some people hitting "arrive" but I don't have that option on my app. I've been hitting 'start ride' before they've arrived and only had one person mention it.

2) Alot of folks today get in and they haven't inputted any destination. They tell me to go ahead and drive them some place but I tell them to input a destination before we move. See I am assuming ,unfortunately, that I won't get paid if I do not input a destination. Is that so?

3) Some folks get in and say we have multiple destinations and expect me to start driving like a dang taxi. I tell em I need a destination "to get paid" before we move. Now I say that but I don't know it as fact - Is that so?

I saw a pop up on my app that mentioned 'side trips' or something like that but never saw it again. Anyone got any information on side trips or multiple -stop trips?

Otherwise I made $154.00 one day part time and other days it's hit or miss or plain slow, but I'm not complaining cause I like driving around being my own boss making part time cash.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions or advice - Uber on haha

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So really I need step by step guidance on the five minute wait or when to start the trip and is it good protocol to tell passengers I won't get paid if they do not input their destination ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
1) For Uber I only swipe to start trip when I see the pax. For Lyft I click arrive when I get there. In both cases I take a mental note of the time on my phone upon my arrival. At the 3 minute mark I send a text. At 5 minutes I make a phone call. If they haven't responded and I see that 6 minutes has passed, I move on and cancel the trip. I do this because I once waited what I thought was 5 minutes and didn't get my cancel fee because it was not technically 5 minutes yet.

2) If they say go ahead and drive, you can drive. They don't need to tell you the destination if they can tell you where to turn. You will get paid the same.

3) Same as 2.

4) Trips are paid by time and mileage. No options for side trips.

hope this helps...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I did not know that - So I don't need to set a destination if they can tell me where to go or I can input myself in case I don't know where to go. So if trips are paid by time and mileage then the longer we go the more dough and I never have to input a destination so I can take multiple passengers to various locations and then end the trip with the last passenger at any time without a "inputted" destination ....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've found "pins" to be terribly inaccurate. I saw that another driver on the forum texts the passenger using a pretyped draft saying, this is your Uber driver. I'm on my way to XXX Street Be there in XX minutes. If the address is wrong, they can text you back.

Do NOT start the trip before the passenger is in the car. If for any reason, you need to cancel --- You can't because you already started the trip. If the passenger finds out, they're furious and your rating goes in the toilet.

Don't insist on an exact destination. You will get paid from the time you hit start trip until you hit trip ended. The rider can give you directions, stop at the drugstore, pick up a friend, whatever. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool. That helps solidify if for me then. I appreciate your input. What good advice regarding when a pax wants you to wait at a destination. I've been telling them that I have to end the trip and they need to re submit an Uber request and it should choose me since I am so close but I can see now if the destination is not inputted then I can just wait? Also, if the destination is inputted I can still wait without ending the trip and make a round trip if they are willing to pay for it? I don't know just hungry for information

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ok cool. That helps solidify if for me then. I appreciate your input. What good advice regarding when a pax wants you to wait at a destination. I've been telling them that I have to end the trip and they need to re submit an Uber request and it should choose me since I am so close but I can see now if the destination is not inputted then I can just wait? Also, if the destination is inputted I can still wait without ending the trip and make a round trip if they are willing to pay for it? I don't know just hungry for information
Yes, you can just wait....at 21 cents a minute it really racks up fast. Yes, you do not need to end the trip. You can go in circles for all it matters....as long as the trip is on the time and mileage will keep accumulating.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
21cents times 5 minutes = $1.05 for five minutes , 1.05 times 20 minutes = $4.20 - I guess it's a personal call cause it don't pay so good to wait around for two chicks shopping in a mall - if there was tips involved then maybe but I'll keep on moving me thinks unless I do it for a non-monetary reason which isn't highly likely

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hypothetical here -- ---- ok I pick up a pax with a destination - I arrive at the destination - do not close off the ride and continue on to timbuktoo - I guess this is illegal so I won't be doing that but can it be done?

·
Registered
592 Posts
21cents times 5 minutes = $1.05 for five minutes , 1.05 times 20 minutes = $4.20 - I guess it's a personal call cause it don't pay so good to wait around for two chicks shopping in a mall - if there was tips involved then maybe but I'll keep on moving me thinks unless I do it for a non-monetary reason which isn't highly likely
I was joking about the "racks up fast"

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hypothetical here -- ---- ok I pick up a pax with a destination - I arrive at the destination - do not close off the ride and continue on to timbuktoo - I guess this is illegal so I won't be doing that but can it be done?
Yes...though the pax gets a notification that the ride has ended. An alert Pax would notice that the ride has not stopped.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also I am nUBee so bear with me --- When I get alerted to a pick up request and I don't respond - what effect does that have? Also and more importantly perhaps, I accept a pick up request and do not go-- does that count as negative?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If you don't accept a request, it effects your acceptance rate. If your acceptance rate is below average, uber might fuss at you.

After accepting a request, you can cancel or you can go to them and do the ride. You can cancel any time up until you start the trip. Pax cannot rate you on canceled trips.

If you cancel too many trips, uber might fuss at you.

Don't start the ride till they are all in the car.

DO NOT EVER allow more pax than you have seat belts for. If you drive both x & xl and get an x request that has more than 4pax, so the trip & when you end use the inapp 'problem with ride' feature to have the trip adjusted from x to xl.

If you only drive x, DO NOT EVER take more than 4 pax no matter what. Just have them cancel or wait 5 minutes and cancel to get your measly cancelation fee.

Use your alarm clock timer feature & once you arrive at a pin, start a 5 minute timer & cancel when it goes off.

I often text when I arrive at the pin - a simple 'Hi, this is your uber driver. I'm here at the pin at xyz address. I've got my hazards on so you can find me easily'

When you pick up/drop off - pull over to a safe location to wait. Don't stop in the middle of the street & block traffic all over. If your pax requests pickup in some crowded pick up location - text them and ask them for a landmark that they will be near. I often ask 'what business are you in front of' at dense shopping areas.

Unless it is dead slow, don't wait more than about 5 minutes while your pax runs some errand.

Multiple stops are fine - if we are picking up folks, I have them text their friend with an ETA & (if necessary) details to make pickup easier & quick.

I like for each stop to be entered into the app - thouch if it's really busy, you might want to only input the final destination in case of stacked pings. Me, I don't care, I accept the stacked request & drive to the next stop & generally the second request will cancel. I also don't care if they input the destination or if I do - either is fine for me. I'm not crazy about them giving directions with no destination put in - usually I say something like, you can direct me, but let me just put in the destination so I can get stacked requests (if they've never heard of that feature, I explain as we drive). Generally folks are agreeable when I give them a reason like that. I'll still follow their directions - but this way I've got them on my navigation in case they get distracted (cause they do)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you don't accept a request, it effects your acceptance rate. If your acceptance rate is below average, uber might fuss at you.

After accepting a request, you can cancel or you can go to them and do the ride. You can cancel any time up until you start the trip. Pax cannot rate you on canceled trips.

DO NOT EVER allow more pax than you have seat belts for. If you drive both x & xl and get an x request that has more than 4pax, so the trip & when you end use the inapp 'problem with ride' feature to have the trip adjusted from x to xl.

If you only drive x, DO NOT EVER take more than 4 pax no matter what. Just have them cancel or wait 5 minutes and cancel to get your measly cancelation fee.

Use your alarm clock timer feature & once you arrive at a pin, start a 5 minute timer & cancel when it goes off.

I often text when I arrive at the pin - a simple 'Hi, this is your uber driver. I'm here at the pin at xyz address. I've got my hazards on so you can find me easily'

When you pick up/drop off - pull over to a safe location to wait. Don't stop in the middle of the street & block traffic all over. If your pax requests pickup in some crowded pick up location - text them and ask them for a landmark that they will be near. I often ask 'what business are you in front of' at dense shopping areas.

Unless it is dead slow, don't wait more than about 5 minutes while your pax runs some errand.

Multiple stops are fine - if we are picking up folks, I have them text their friend with an ETA & (if necessary) details to make pickup easier & quick.

I like for each stop to be entered into the app - thouch if it's really busy, you might want to only input the final destination in case of stacked pings. Me, I don't care, I accept the stacked request & drive to the next stop & generally the second request will cancel. I also don't care if they input the destination or if I do - either is fine for me. I'm not crazy about them giving directions with no destination put in - usually I say something like, you can direct me, but let me just put in the destination so I can get stacked requests (if they've never heard of that feature, I explain as we drive). Generally folks are agreeable when I give them a reason like that. I'll still follow their directions - but this way I've got them on my navigation in case they get distracted (cause they do)
The hazards lights practice is pure genius.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The hazards lights practice is pure genius.
Well, it doesn't help much at a crowded bar when there are a zillion ubers waiting with their hazards on.

In those situations I turn on my glowstash & tell people to look for the pink mustache light on my dashboard. Which starts a conversation about lyft & gives me an easy way to hand out my lyft referral cards; "you've never taken lyft? Well here, if you use this promo code, you'll get $5 off of each of your first 10 rides. Yeah, that sure is a great deal"

Helps me wrack up those $10 referral bonuses

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

For pickup in DT daytime or bar hours the streets have no empty parking space to pull into. Where do you legally pick up your pax in such cases?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For pickup in DT daytime or bar hours the streets have no empty parking space to pull into. Where do you legally pick up your pax in such cases?
No clue, our downtown streets have parking on the streets. Or you can easily pull into an empty alley/side street nearby.

In Raleigh, NC, it can be hard to find a parking spot & the traffic is horrid. I prefer Durham because there is no traffic (other than uber/lyft drivers and taxis), plenty of street parking & empty side streets. Some of the downtown bars even have parking lots.

Yet people still stop in the middle of the street and block the road

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If all the parking spaces on the side of the road are filled, streets are congested, including the side streets (traffic everywhere-- if the driver stops, she is blocking traffic), where should the drive PU the rider?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts