Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had over ten interviews the last few weeks and no job offers. I used to be an Uber driver and still have a 4.7 rating. Not the worst, but not the greatest either. I know my way around the area and I know where one place is here where the demand is high for an Uber driver. I'm a member of a community website and they are complaining about the lack of drivers in the area.

I know there's at least two other Uber drivers in the area from the community page. But they are only on the road if people call them in advance.

I don't have a new enough car but I'm wondering if an Uber Lease Program would be worth it. I know it can be expensive, but I would be pulling eight hour days. I need work and if I could get someone from the area down to Sacramento for a first trip in the morning ($40) I think it could be worth it during the day.

Does anyone know what the rates are in Sacramento right now for a driver and how to access the lease program? I was trying to access it but I can't seem to figure out the way to browse the marketplace.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Best of luck to you. Everybody always screaming "GET A REAL JOB" doesn't understand how difficult the job application process has become - especially if you haven't had to look for a job in years.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Good luck on your interview.

I sent out over 200 resumes in a 3 month span in late 2015 when I received my lay-off notice, and received only 3 interviews. When "talent acquisition" reps call me, they also ask for a minimum salary requirement. I tell them my current salary and can back it up with my latest pay advice and W2, and they say the dreaded, "ooooh, that's a bit out of reach." :(

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
I've had over ten interviews the last few weeks and no job offers. I used to be an Uber driver and still have a 4.7 rating. Not the worst, but not the greatest either. I know my way around the area and I know where one place is here where the demand is high for an Uber driver. I'm a member of a community website and they are complaining about the lack of drivers in the area.

I know there's at least two other Uber drivers in the area from the community page. But they are only on the road if people call them in advance.

I don't have a new enough car but I'm wondering if an Uber Lease Program would be worth it. I know it can be expensive, but I would be pulling eight hour days. I need work and if I could get someone from the area down to Sacramento for a first trip in the morning ($40) I think it could be worth it during the day.

Does anyone know what the rates are in Sacramento right now for a driver and how to access the lease program? I was trying to access it but I can't seem to figure out the way to browse the marketplace.
the lease is a veritable treadmill once on, and once on, hard to get off, you'll be working 70 hours per week just to get by. What about just leasing a Taxi?

·
Banned
8,571 Posts
Where are you interviewing and what past jobs have you had? It may be better to work in sf and commute if you haven't already applied there.

If you really need to make money, by all means drive but don't do the lease and don't quit applying + interviewing for positions.

I was kinda lost for awhile so I ended up at a job (after taking a month long break from my previous work) that paid well, flexible hours...thinking that I would go back to school (still may) but it didn't pay as good as my previous work because it's still retail (but way above minimum in sf which isn't too shabby).

What I'm trying to say is that another job that may not pay as much would still help you come out ahead and probably looks better on the resume then Uber. You can still look for a job and if you have to, fib a little as to why you have that position on your resume or be frank-- you didn't want to sit around twiddling your thumb and is the type of person who wants to be busy and productive so while waiting for the job sector (you really want to be in) to open up with more positions, you took on this job to stay sharp... and feed yourself of course

Worked for me (also helps to throw your resume up on LinkedIn and indeed since recruiters will reach out that way) because I am going back to my actual field (finance) after vaca.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a degree but I'm planning on going back to school in the Fall to study film. Can't really afford long commutes and the longest I'm willing to do is an hour. Don't mind driving but Sac to SF isn't really an option for me.

From the interviews that I've had, telling the employer about college actually seems to be a better option than saying no about school. The employer who called me yesterday for an interview this morning actually gave me more details about the job than an employer who I didn't tell about college.

Will do thanks. My problem is that I already have an account but I can't access ANYTHING because Uber Support says I need to update the insurance info on my account. Can't really do that unless I have a car. Or maybe that means I need rideshare insurance documents posted on my account.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you need a job and want to drive people for pay I would check with local cab company not Uber they will let you use their car provide maintenance on their car and you would make more $$ then having to pay Uber's drastic lease deal with Taxi you still drive when you want make 2 or 3x what Uber pays plus you actually get tips more often than not......Uber really isn't known for being a sustainable income producer......an actual Taxi company is we are not just part timers looking to make a little money or meet people

Im a 13 year veteran of the transportation industry and Uber and their leasing deal are a complete joke

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"...going back to school in the Fall to study film"

It's like a festival of bad ideas.
What? It's my dream to go into filming. Sure not the greatest job but it's a passion of mine.

If you need a job and want to drive people for pay I would check with local cab company not Uber they will let you use their car provide maintenance on their car and you would make more $$ then having to pay Uber's drastic lease deal with Taxi you still drive when you want make 2 or 3x what Uber pays plus you actually get tips more often than not......Uber really isn't known for being a sustainable income producer......an actual Taxi company is we are not just part timers looking to make a little money or meet people

Im a 13 year veteran of the transportation industry and Uber and their leasing deal are a complete joke
Just checked with the local cab company here. They want to talk to me on Monday! I also got called for a second interview for a full time job with benefits after a year.

·
Banned
8,571 Posts
What? It's my dream to go into filming. Sure not the greatest job but it's a passion of mine.

Just checked with the local cab company here. They want to talk to me on Monday! I also got called for a second interview for a full time job with benefits after a year.
Good luck with the cab company

Don't go for the second interview (benefits after a year?!)

Have you tried apple?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good luck with the cab company

Don't go for the second interview (benefits after a year?!)

Have you tried apple?
Thanks. I did a tad bit of research on both companies and don't really like what I see. I do have an interview for a company at our local mall today and working there should be rather entertaining considering they do flash mob songs every now and then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.