Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just joined this forum so I can alert you all of a SCAM that will Cash Out your earnings. Last night, I received a ride request from "Designated Uber Ride". Don't accept the ride, just ignore it. Or accepted it and cancel it. You will get a cancellation point on your profile but you can probably get it removed. When the ride is accepted, a text will come in and instruct you that the ride is a generated Uber ride, please press the phone icon on the Uber Drive app. Everything looked and sounded official. I called and the person identified himself as Uber Support, knew my name, my rating, my status. He proceeded to let me know due to my 4.97 rating I qualified for a $150 bonus. There were several verification texts and phone calls. Anyway, to make a long story short, I fell into the scam. He was able to get my debit card number and my night's earnings. When I said I wanted to cancel he said OK, let me start that process and asked for my birth date. I pushed back and said, why do you need that? You already have my debit card #, exp date, and CVS number. I called Uber immediately and they were very helpful. Most importantly, Uber replaced my money that was scammed from me.

Point is: Be careful. Don't fall into this scam! Notifiy Uber when you received one of these rides

UberSFNative
Part Time Driver since: 7/2017
Rating: 4.97
Rides: over 3300

·
Registered
687 Posts
I had this call last week. I didn’t get that far because the scam sense was tingling, but he did know all my profile info. I would have never given Uber support my credit card number though. that’s not just an Uber scam, you would have fallen for ANY scam that asks you that. Never pay upfront for CASH PRIZES! How old are you? Boomers tend to fall for Nigerian scams all the time

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
All,

I just joined this forum so I can alert you all of a SCAM that will Cash Out your earnings. Last night, I received a ride request from "Designated Uber Ride". Don't accept the ride, just ignore it. Or accepted it and cancel it. You will get a cancellation point on your profile but you can probably get it removed. When the ride is accepted, a text will come in and instruct you that the ride is a generated Uber ride, please press the phone icon on the Uber Drive app. Everything looked and sounded official. I called and the person identified himself as Uber Support, knew my name, my rating, my status. He proceeded to let me know due to my 4.97 rating I qualified for a $150 bonus. There were several verification texts and phone calls. Anyway, to make a long story short, I fell into the scam. He was able to get my debit card number and my night's earnings. When I said I wanted to cancel he said OK, let me start that process and asked for my birth date. I pushed back and said, why do you need that? You already have my debit card #, exp date, and CVS number. I called Uber immediately and they were very helpful. Most importantly, Uber replaced my money that was scammed from me.

Point is: Be careful. Don't fall into this scam! Notifiy Uber when you received one of these rides

UberSFNative
Thanks for the warning, cuz. However, searching and reading through the forums first, you would have found hundreds of prior posts regarding this and similar scams. Nothing personal, just always amazed in this day and age that people will still immediately release sensitive information without taking a minute to think it might be a scam. All the information he told you is right in the profile that the pax can see. I am glad Uber was able to help you out, many times they won't. But please - first, read through the forums, especially the one for area, and find out other good things to know. And the same thing before you post something to save all the drivers - chances are it's been posted and we know about it already. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
All,

UberSFNative
Welcome to the forums. News flash, these scams have been around 10 years.
At this point, I think people deserve to get scammed if they fall for it.

·
12,329 Posts
Of course they have all of your info . . . well all of the same information a passenger gets when they order you. The scammers are actually ordering you under a fake account therefore they have all of your information. However they used to text you with a different phone number for you to call. A different number than what's link to the fake account, within the app. So the fact you able to connect to them through the app is a little different

·
Premium Member
7,025 Posts
These warnings about scams are pointless. No matter how many times these things are posted, there's a new victim coming forward every week to explain how they gave away personal financial information to somebody claiming to be Uber support over the phone.

There's a new sucker born every minute.

·
Premium Member
16,382 Posts
old scam must work enough that it keeps occurring. Ding dong users; one born every minute......

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Nothing personal, just always amazed in this day and age that people will still immediately release sensitive information without taking a minute to think it might be a scam.
Yep.
My credit card bank called me earlier today with a promotion.
Robot asked me to enter my zipcode.
Nope.
Made agent jump through hoops.
Gave them zero information.
Activated cash-back promotion.

·
24,951 Posts
If you're feeling playful, drive to wherever the pickup is supposed to happen and collect the no-show
PLAYFUL? I do that as a matter of principle.

If I see that call, it is

HERRO! HER-RO-O!?! HERRO?!?! Then I do some phony foreign accent and troll the dickens out of the scammer while the clock counts down to zero and I get my shuffle.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts