Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Sad story but true. After following this forum for sometime before signing as a member and viewing all of the complainers most the same day after day bashing Uber and some actually defending Uber's Abusive business practices, it is clear that Denver Drivers are too weak and unwilling to Try for any positive change.....As the Sad Saying goes Uber On....
The few of you who have any self respect... Summon up some courage and STAND up on Monday! Make that your day off, work the other 6. Maybe you won't make a dent, but at least you can face Your self in the mirror with dignity! It's a matter of Principle! At the very least you are a Real independent contractor.
Take the strike opportunity if only to strengthen your own character...
Thank You UBER UBER for supporting drivers!!!

· Premium Member
10 Posts
In the last year alone...

1) Uber and Lyft both increased their commission from 20-25%. They gave themselves a 25% pay raise. The funding source for that was directly out of drivers pockets. It's the highest commission I'm aware of for any product or service in any industry. I've asked Uber, "Drivers are paying 25% more for services from Uber, could you tell me what drivers received in return?" There of course is no answer because drivers got nothing but a Jiff Lube coupon, and a computer automated email telling us how much drivers are valued. Still a buggy app. Still a Help Desk that completely useless. Still no in app tipping. Still app navigation that thinks alleys are streets, can't determine correct side of road, and a "My Location" feature that can put riders 3 blocks away from where they actually are. Still 9 pennies / $5.40 an hour for waiting (after commission deducted) Still a gas card that malfunctions 4/5 attempts. Still a shit Star Rating System. Still overflowing toilets at DIA etc etc.

2) Because of the price wars between the 2, each year for the past 3 years, rates have been reduced. (This is actually the reason for the commission hike.) There was one increase in base fare in Denver of about 15 pennies. Did that have any impact on your life?

3) Both platforms went on a driver acquisition spree which over saturated most markets with far more drivers than ridership can support. My anecdotal count is about 200+ new drivers every WEEK in Denver alone.

For drivers, 2016 was the worst year on record in terms of costs vs revenue. 2017 has no indications of being any better. Another rate reduction would make driving barely survivable, financially.

I'm reading that annual attrition (loss of total drivers), ONLY factoring for drivers with Uber for 12 months or more, is over 40%. Factor for all drivers and that attrition number climbs WAY over 40%. Drivers with the platform for over 12 months are more likely doing ride share as a form of regular income and not to just make $500 for a vacation fund or whatever.

2017 isn't the Year Of The Driver.

I offered the Uber staff a deal. If they would each give up $5,000 of their income, (much less than what these recent policy/pricing/commission changes have cost me.), in return, I would be willing to give them a Badge with a picture of a trophy on it, an email telling them how important they are and a Jiffy Lube coupon.

I haven't had any takers yet.

(They think it's an awesome generous deal for Driver "Partners", but no one at Uber thinks it's much of a deal when offered back to them. And Uber is still completely befuddled as to why so many drivers keep leaving. Geeee Uber. Put on your big boy thinky-think cap. It sure looks obvious from over here.)

· Registered
318 Posts
So this is the first time I will equate the Army with Uber, but it applies on both sides....

So to the OP... you're the FNG, and nobody cares about your previous experience or what your opinions are until you prove yourself.

DTMBoulder, you're a barracks lawyer.

To those mentioned above, and everyone who complains or says the same stuff, I have this to say:
1. If it ain't raining, we ain't training (we go out when it sucks the most... whether we want to or not... if you want to make money).
2. If a soldier ain't complaining; or worse, stops complaining to you; either there's something wrong, or you're the problem (as the leader).

Once uber drivers stop complaining, there is something seriously wrong, and we should all run for the hills (or get off the roads).

· Registered
520 Posts
In the last year alone...

1) Uber and Lyft both increased their commission from 20-25%. They gave themselves a 25% pay raise. The funding source for that was directly out of drivers pockets. It's the highest commission I'm aware of for any product or service in any industry. I've asked Uber, "Drivers are paying 25% more for services from Uber, could you tell me what drivers received in return?" There of course is no answer because drivers got nothing but a Jiff Lube coupon, and a computer automated email telling us how much drivers are valued. Still a buggy app. Still a Help Desk that completely useless. Still no in app tipping. Still app navigation that thinks alleys are streets, can't determine correct side of road, and a "My Location" feature that can put riders 3 blocks away from where they actually are. Still 9 pennies / $5.40 an hour for waiting (after commission deducted) Still a gas card that malfunctions 4/5 attempts. Still a shit Star Rating System. Still overflowing toilets at DIA etc etc.

2) Because of the price wars between the 2, each year for the past 3 years, rates have been reduced. (This is actually the reason for the commission hike.) There was one increase in base fare in Denver of about 15 pennies. Did that have any impact on your life?

3) Both platforms went on a driver acquisition spree which over saturated most markets with far more drivers than ridership can support. My anecdotal count is about 200+ new drivers every WEEK.

For drivers, 2016 was the worst year on record in terms of costs vs revenue. 2017 has no indications. I'm reading that annual attrition (loss of total drivers) ONLY factoring for drivers with Uber for 12 months or more, is over 40%. Factor for all drivers and that attrition number climbs WAY over 40%. Drivers with the platform for over 12 months are more likely doing ride share as a form of regular income and not to just make $500 for a vacation fund or whatever.

2017 isn't the Year Of The Driver. 2017 is The Year To Get &%[email protected]!*ed In The Ass.

I offered the Uber staff a deal. If they would each give up $5,000 of their income, I would be willing to give them a Badge with a picture of a trophy on it, an email telling them how important they are and a Jiffy Lube coupon.

I haven't had any takers yet.
The sick part is that Travis will probably leave his company, which never made a profit, with a couple of billion dollars.

· Premium Member
10 Posts
Unfortunately, Uber's not going to change and become driver-friendly. People have to find a way to make Uber work for them.
Yes. Absolutely. This is the dealt hand. It ain't changing. Drivers either adapt or get out of this game.

I get exhausted listening to drivers talk about "how much they made".

Then I ask them, "Did you deduct 7.65% self-employment tax? Did you factor for time spent cleaning the car, administrative duties, oil changes, depreciation due to extra mileage, etc.? Have you projected your annual mileage increase and estimated how many additional sets of tires and brake pads those extra miles will require and the costs? Did you calculate all of those expenses and deduct them from "how much you think you made?"

Few people have. I haven't found any drivers yet who have calculated the future cost of mileage based asset depreciation. They may exist. I don't know. I just haven't found them.

Depreciation cost for mileage alone on my Honda, (not for age, only for mileage) is $140/month. I need to earn an additional $140/mo just to break even on the depreciation hit I will take when I try to sell or trade in the car. People ignore this cost because it's future based, but it's a very real cost.

Here's a fun one. I keep a can of Febreeze in the car for obvious reasons. Some passengers stink and I don't want that stink contaminating the next ride. At $5-ish per can, 1 can a month, 5x12=$60 just for Febreeze. That's between 5-15 rides per year, just to break even on AIR FRESHNER! Crazy ain't it?

When I report in this forum my hourly earnings of between $6-$23 / hour, I have factored in and already deducted for ALL costs, present and future, except for personal income tax. I even factor for Tolls. Uber is compensating me more than Express Toll charges. Tolls have become a Net+ source of revenue. Small, but something.

($23.87/hr is a new high. My previously reported high was $16.55/hr. Surge does make a difference. It's one silver lining in an otherwise gloomy post.)

I guess my point, or maybe intention is to burst the delusion bubble, or magical thinking that most drivers seem susceptible to when they only think of what they are grossing and brush off or ignore the costs of doing this kind of work.

Costs previously borne by the company have all been displaced onto the labor. It isn't an accident.

When drivers start considering all their expenses and calculate their Net Net instead of their Gross Earnings... give themselves a reality check... yadda yadda, (I don't know how to finish that sentence.)

Yes. Absolutely. This is the dealt hand. It ain't changing. Drivers either adapt or get out of this game.

I get exhausted listening to drivers talk about "how much they made".

Then I ask them, "Did you deduct 7.65% self-employment tax? Did you factor for time spent cleaning the car, administrative duties, oil changes, depreciation due to extra mileage, etc.? Have you projected your annual mileage increase and estimated how many additional sets of tires and brake pads those extra miles will require and the costs? Did you calculate all of those expenses and deduct them from "how much you think you made?"

Few people have. I haven't found any drivers yet who have calculated the future cost of mileage based asset depreciation. They may exist. I don't know. I just haven't found them.

Depreciation cost for mileage alone on my Honda, (not for age, only for mileage) is $140/month. I need to earn an additional $140/mo just to break even on the depreciation hit I will take when I try to sell or trade in the car. People ignore this cost because it's future based, but it's a very real cost.

Here's a fun one. I keep a can of Febreeze in the car for obvious reasons. Some passengers stink and I don't want that stink contaminating the next ride. At $5-ish per can, 1 can a month, 5x12=$60 just for Febreeze. That's between 5-15 rides per year, just to break even on AIR FRESHNER! Crazy ain't it?

When I report in this forum my hourly earnings of between $6-$23 / hour, I have factored in and already deducted for ALL costs, present and future, except for personal income tax.

I even factor for Tolls. Uber is compensating me more than Express Toll charges. Tolls have become a Net+ source of revenue. Small, but something. I track it in case, one day they compensate less than Express Toll. I even factor for my Admin time to verify that Tolls Billed, match Tolls Compensated. Pain in the butt, yes. But that Admin time is a cost. Ya gotta factor that in.

($23.87/hr is a new high. My previously reported high was $16.55/hr. Surge does make a difference. It's one silver lining in an otherwise gloomy post.)

I guess my point, or maybe intention is to burst the delusion bubble, or magical thinking that most drivers seem susceptible to when they only think of what they are grossing and brush off or ignore the costs of doing this kind of work.

Costs previously borne by the company have all been displaced onto the labor. It isn't an accident.

When drivers start considering all their expenses and calculate their Net Net instead of their Gross Earnings... give themselves a reality check... yadda yadda, (I don't know how to finish that sentence. Something will happen I guess. Don't know what.)

· Registered
413 Posts
Man you right.
No any contractor can make profit if he charge less than $45 per/ hour
That's min. cost of operating any business in service industry.
Find a contractor in USA that charge $18 per/hour it would be breaking news at CNN
All this b/s how some drivers make big money are mostly Uber and Lyft amploye on this platform.

No day off Monday!
Monday is STRIKE day. Uber drivers, stand for your self, your dignity and self respect.

· Premium Member
413 Posts
Stanley B, you're so cool, I wish I could be more like you.

Come up with some logical counter arguments...
My counter argument is the earnings statements that I post, unlike 99% of every one else on this forum. The $500 I make an on average Saturday in 10 to 12 hours is more important to me than how much self-employment tax I might have to pay, how much Fabreeze costs, and how much my minivan depreciates. Most Uber earnings can be written off, and I care more about the $25k extra I paid down my mortgage last year because of my Uber earnings. And as you can see from statements I posted, I don't drive for $1 a mile.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
My counter argument is the earnings statements that I post, unlike 99% of every one else on this forum. The $500 I make an on average Saturday in 10 to 12 hours is more important to me than how much self-employment tax I might have to pay, how much Fabreeze costs, and how much my minivan depreciates. Most Uber earnings can be written off, and I care more about the $25k extra I paid down my mortgage last year because of my Uber earnings. And as you can see from statements I posted, I don't drive for $1 a mile.
AGREEDED!!!

Only way you're loosing out on depreciation is if you're driving a new or newish car on UberX . I drive a newer car and my costs for Gas, general maintenance , and depreciation is under 20 cents a mile . Driving at Select/XL rates it's not really an issue , if I was just doing UberX I'd buy a car for $2500 and drive it into the ground over 2 years and sell it busted and broken for a $800 . I've made over $2k in a week in Net Earnings multiple times ... I hate the Uber youtube videos and forum people who come on here and show stats for per mile only (no per minute no surge factor) and then show how much it would cost you to drive a brand new car and how much it will depreciate. Well if you buy a brand new car to do UberX full time you're not that bright to begin with and that's on you

· Registered
362 Posts
UberX cars need to be 2006 or newer, pass both mechanical and cosmetic inspections, etc etc. Your UberX theoretical plan isn't actionable.

How did you calculate your asset depreciation for mileage? We could all learn from your wisdom how it's done.

You wrote that your Earnings can be written off. That sounds interesting. How does someone write off their Earnings? I may like to do that.

You wrote that you only care about the $500 you earned and not that other stuff.

It works like this. You have revenue of $500. Your uncle with a white beard takes away $200. How much do you now have left to proudly pay down your mortgage?

$500?

Or

$300?

Which amount will your mortgage holder apply to your account?

The $500?

Or

The $300

Hint: If you don't deduct that other stuff. You never earned $500. You earned $500 minus (all that other stuff).
Stan the man is not being literal on writing off your earnings.. he means your write offs change your taxable income substantially. This is the way I look at it --The .54 per mile is the trade off for wear on car and for gas - this is by design by the IRS and when you drive and fill up each time you are basically making a tax payment. The wear on the car is the other trade instead of having taxes come out. You are trading equity in your vehicle for tax savings on your income. Most drivers pay little tax on their income after write offs.

· Registered
2,962 Posts
Successful Suing Uber (requested by Maudee) in https://uberpeople.net/threads/has-anyone-successfully-sued-uber-yet.110372/page-2#post-2207909
https://uberpeople.net/threads/has-anyone-successfully-sued-uber-yet.110372/page-2#post-2207909
I've agreed to stop posting external driving-related links that are a violation of the forums terms, but you can easily google:
  • Feb 21, businessinsider, uber-is-being-sued-for-at-least-20-million-in-vat-2017-2
  • Feb 20, itv news 2017-02-20, call-for-whitehall-to-boycott-uber-as-the-company-is-accused-of-tax-avoidance-and-sued-for-unpaid-vat/
  • Feb 16, buzzfeed saraspary, uber-just-made-a-bunch-of-changes-to-try-to-appease-its-drivers
  • Oct 28 2016, cnet news, uber-uk-court-ruling-drivers-employees-not-contractors/
  • Oct 28 2016, bloomberg news, uber-loses-london-lawsuit-over-drivers-rights-law-firm-says
If Uber loses a UK lawsuit then what is the effect in America? What about the reverse?

· Premium Member
413 Posts
Stan the man is not being literal on writing off your earnings.. he means your write offs change your taxable income substantially. This is the way I look at it --The .54 per mile is the trade off for wear on car and for gas - this is by design by the IRS and when you drive and fill up each time you are basically making a tax payment. The wear on the car is the other trade instead of having taxes come out. You are trading equity in your vehicle for tax savings on your income. Most drivers pay little tax on their income after write offs.
I see DTMBoulder's post disappeared, but he was saying $200 out of $500 in earnings goes to the tax man. If there really are any Uber driver's in America in the 40% tax bracket, please post your earning statements.

My point is this. On a night where I make $500, I will usually drive 300 miles. I also live a long way from metro Denver, so those dead miles to my first pickup are deductible, as well as when I have my app on the way home waiting for a pickup. So I really might have 400 deductible miles on the night. At $.54, $216 is the standard mileage expense deduction. Did I have $216 in expenses that night, hell no. Yes, I drove my minivan that I own free and clear into the ground that night. But it's a minivan, so it depreciates just sitting in my garage collecting dust too. Now that type of income is only on my very best nights. And I keep track of every single mile.

· Registered
362 Posts
You have a point on deductions - they don't come straight off your taxes - they reduce your taxable income. So for example if you made 70k and had 40k in deductions (mostly miles) you would be taxed on 30k (70-40) rather than 70 k. Drivers not itemizing are fools!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.