Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder if we should, collectively, start demanding tips, due to rates being so low. I see more pax tipping. But, I took 4 drunk obnoxious guys, today. And was only paid $4, for 20 minute ride. If they tipped, I would have felt so much better.

So, the question is, should we start educating people about the tipping?

I have seen people from other cities, actually demanding the tip. Is this a right thing to do? opinions.

(i think i am trolling again)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You cannot demand a tip. A tip by definition is a gift freely given.

You can however demand a service charge. A $5.00 cash show up fee negotiated before you leave to get the pax would be a good start to compensating you for driving to them. Or maybe 7 minutes estimated drive to get to them, That will be $7.00 up front.

Do not know how long you will last till deactivation but worth a try.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You cannot demand a tip. A tip by definition is a gift freely given.

You can however demand a service charge. A $5.00 cash show up fee negotiated before you leave to get the pax would be a good start to compensating you for driving to them. Or maybe 7 minutes estimated drive to get to them, That will be $7.00 up front.

Do not know how long you will last till deactivation but worth a try.
yeh, deactivation is a problem.

well, i guess if a tip is gift. then should i stop tipping pizza delivery? or a waitress? it is gift after all. Uber drivers do provide relatively cheap, reliable service for people who do not drive. I think we provide more service than any pizza delivery guy. I have financial responsibility for the person within my vehicle. What responsibility pizza guy has? and yet, he gets tipped, and I don't. well not as much as I would like it to be.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
yeh, deactivation is a problem.

well, i guess if a tip is gift. then should i stop tipping pizza delivery? or a waitress? it is gift after all.
Sure it is, never forget that it is anything other than a gift. No one is ever obligated to tip. there are certain social norms around it but it is by no means a requirement.

Do you know where the custom to tip food servers and barbers came from? Those are the people that could kill you with poison or a slit to the neck if you were not a good tipping customer. Poison maybe not so relevant these days but hawking a lougie in my weekly pizza is still a possibility so i will keep tipping that guy.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'd like to see someone try it and report back on how long until deactivation.

Just drive surges only. Prolong the deactivation for another 4-5 months from the bad ratings thanks to surges :)

Turn Bluetooth on, I wrote Uber about my little issue with not being able to start a ride, they said it might be due to bluetooth. Both times I've just collected cash upfront. Better for me!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I waited tables while going to college. Try demanding a tip anywhere in any job and you will not have that job long.

Uber drivers doing anything collectively is not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Uber drivers do provide relatively cheap, reliable service for people who do not drive. I think we provide more service than any pizza delivery guy. I have financial responsibility for the person within my vehicle. What responsibility pizza guy has? and yet, he gets tipped, and I don't. well not as much as I would like it to be.
This is a debate as old as transportation. I come from Limo driving where tips were always plentiful and consistent and in some case already included in the bill. I devoted all my attention to one customer for the entire evening making sure they had a nice evening. There are lots of things I did to insure that. I did it for everyone regardless if I thought they were going to tip or not, that was just taking pride in my job. Sometimes I got rewarded for that with a tip and sometimes I did not. But that's the way the ball bounces.

Charter Bus drivers would put similar effort into their charter trips and sometimes even more effort than that of a limo driver and would get zero tips most of the time. Not fair at all. Yet there are still an abundance of bus drivers willing to do the job.

Just as with no possibility of tips there are people lining up to driver for Uber.

It will all come out with the wash as I just saw a post today PA UBer just as bad as PA cabs now. Quality will always find a level in the market. If you are not being paid what you are worth stop doing the job. Just is if everyone stopped tipping waitresses tomorrow and they got $2.25 an hour they would soon quit or work for a restaurant that paid a living wage. Of course if they were a bad waitress they could not get hired anywhere and would have to take what they could get. Uber is that "take what you can get bottom of the barrel wages for low standard workers". I am not saying that as an insult that is what they have designed it to be while trying to put a flashy image on it. That;s the new economy. Not quality but a facade of quality.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Sure it is, never forget that it is anything other than a gift. No one is ever obligated to tip. there are certain social norms around it but it is by no means a requirement.

Do you know where the custom to tip food servers and barbers came from? Those are the people that could kill you with poison or a slit to the neck if you were not a good tipping customer. Poison maybe not so relevant these days but hawking a lougie in my weekly pizza is still a possibility so i will keep tipping that guy.
That's the problem with uber. With pizza the driver will remember you (we DO know who tips well or not) and the kindest thing the driver will do is make yours his last stop. With uber other than a bad rating we can't hurt the pax. We may be able to remember them but even if we don't pick them up another driver will.

Always be nice to those who handle your food. And if you're not, never go back.

BTW we pretty much know not to leave our DNA behind on your pizza now.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
That's the problem with uber. With pizza the driver will remember you (we DO know who tips well or not) and the kindest thing the driver will do is make yours his last stop. With uber other than a bad rating we can't hurt the pax. We may be able to remember them but even if we don't pick them up another driver will.

LMAO!

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

Ground Dulcolax (bisacodyl) causes projectile vomiting, and has very little taste.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it is silly for uber to be open about how cheap a ride with Uber is and then insist that a tip is not necessary. That just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think it is silly for uber to be open about how cheap a ride with Uber is and then insist that a tip is not necessary. That just doesn't add up.
extreme, unrestricted capitalism at its best. next step is feudalism. no money exchange, working for food and shelter. Uber Distopia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts