Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take a trip in the 5am hour to the airport. Just to see how earnings would pan out now that the new surge is roughly a month old.

Even at a $10 surge...probably never again.

Man, how times have changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I still get the surge multiplier for some reason lol
Yes !That's how it used to be..I guess I was in the surge zone but got a ride out of the deep red and only got the Mario cart price..its nuts!

20 payout to ord is a NO GO.
You are right especially at 5am but I had rides were it said 2,75$ and ended up being a ×2 surged ord ride

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Personally I’ve been surprised by one of the ride that I done with Uber by curiosity as well with an $5 or $7 surge for the burbs I get $18 at the end so I just wonder now how they calculated the surges.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get rematched, or take a ride back?
No rematch. I never get rematches on early morning airport runs. And even if I did it's not worth the risk of getting a trip to some far away area when you have to be in the loop before 8am.

Are you still driving for Uber? $22 in 30 min is just great. What's the complain?
In the past I've net up to and even over $100 on just two early morning airport runs. I have proof too

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Yes !That's how it used to be..I guess I was in the surge zone but got a ride out of the deep red and only got the Mario cart price..its nuts!

You are right especially at 5am but I had rides were it said 2,75$ and ended up being a ×2 surged ord ride
I wouldn't bank on things that ENDED UP BEING. That's bullshit
Here lies the problem - we don't know whether we are being paid the multiplier or the dollar amount for these trips. Back when the multiplier existed, when the ping had 3x, you knew that the payout was triple the normal rate.

The problem is that the surge payout is not applied consistently. It is anybody's guess whether that $8 "surge" to ORD is a $26 trip or a $54 trip.

I work as a contractor in accounting and in IT as my day jobs. I would never agree to an assignment if I was told that I would be paid either $40 per hour or $80 per hour depending on the mood the manager was in.

This is what Uber is doing under the new surge. Stop accepting these trips until you know for sure how much you are getting paid.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lol so what are the conditions under which one will get the surge dollar versus the multiplier

Transparency much? Lol
It's the multiplier when you pick up a ride from the deep red ..not Mario cart the ride like it happened to me this morning.Its also a combination of what to expect at a certain hour of the morning..4am is always gonna be a multiplier versus 4:15am when usually it dies down and you get the empty Mario cart ..but I've learned this morning that the ride has to originate in the deep red not the edges .Ex : Upper Wacker was 5 ,75$ while Stereeterville was around 2 ,20..The ride was from Streeterville but got the Mario price of 5,75 on the pin .Its crazy and confusing..I'll stick with Lyft even if it's a hard fishing game with them

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
Here lies the problem - we don't know whether we are being paid the multiplier or the dollar amount for these trips. Back when the multiplier existed, when the ping had 3x, you knew that the payout was triple the normal rate.

The problem is that the surge payout is not applied consistently. It is anybody's guess whether that $8 "surge" to ORD is a $26 trip or a $54 trip.

I work as a contractor in accounting and in IT as my day jobs. I would never agree to an assignment if I was told that I would be paid either $40 per hour or $80 per hour depending on the mood the manager was in.

This is what Uber is doing under the new surge. Stop accepting these trips until you know for sure how much you are getting paid.
1. More specifically, we don't know what the surge multiplier is.. I've had trips.ive been reamed on and I've had trips where Dara whipped out a plate of his own feces to eat. Sometimes you get the equivalent of a 1.3x surge while the pax pay 3x and sometimes you get a short trip where the pax pays 2x but because Uber is offering a $16 bonus, that short trip becomes 4x.

I've said this once but I'll say it again... The goal is to find out the circumstances that Uber will adjust the "surge" payout.

We need to stop holding to the idea that we are owed 75/80 percent of the rider's fare. That's long gone. You want that?Then long haul, because that's how Uber gets 40% of the fare. They calculate an amount using the most inefficient route possible. The only caveat is that it doesn't always work with surge. If the pax paid 3x and your dollar bonus amount was 2.50, it won't adjust to 3x the amount you got paid but maybe 1.8 if you're lucky.

2. You're suggesting that people stop driving surge and do base rate only. We'll never know the true surge amount because there is too many variables.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's the multiplier when you pick up a ride from the deep red ..not Mario cart the ride like it happened to me this morning.Its also a combination of what to expect at a certain hour of the morning..4am is always gonna be a multiplier versus 4:15am when usually it dies down and you get the empty Mario cart ..but I've learned this morning that the ride has to originate in the deep red not the edges .Ex : Upper Wacker was 5 ,75$ while Stereeterville was around 2 ,20..The ride was from Streeterville but got the Mario price of 5,75 on the pin .Its crazy and confusing..I'll stick with Lyft even if it's a hard fishing game with them
I am not sure this is the case either. I had a pick up last weekend at Guaranteed rate Field. It was $2 surge in the Uber pick up lot where all the rides where originating. I was trying to get back out to the burbs and they were going to towns over so I decided to take the ride and call It a night despite the small surge. I thought there would be a chance I would get the multiplier instead of the flat rate. 35 miles out to the suburbs and I got only the flat rate of $2

1 - 20 of 29 Posts