Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I returned a leased Uber exchange car in 2019 and received a letter from a debt collector « RPM »alleging a 3000.00$ balance owed.
I never missed a single payment.
Any similar cases in the community ?
Any advice appreciated in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts
Did you return the vehicle PRIOR TO THE EXPIRY of the lease agreement which you signed, and I assume you read ?

Many CLOSED END leases have a clause that says, simply, if you return the unit before the balance of payments are made, you are responsible for paying the remainder in a lump sum.

For example, if you want to get out of a 36 months lease at month 30, you would still need to pay the remaining 6 months in full.

Not al leases are like this, but the majority, particularily those from captive automotive and other secondary credit finance companies are. This probably is why they are coming after you now.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you return the vehicle PRIOR TO THE EXPIRY of the lease agreement which you signed, and I assume you read ?

Many leases have a clause that says, simply, if you return the unit before the balance of payments are made, you are responsible for paying the remainder in a lump sum.

For example, if you want to get out of a 36 months lease at month 30, you would still need to pay the remaining 6 months in full.

Not al leases are like this, but the majority, particularily those from captive automotive and other secondary credit finance companies are. This probably why they are coming after you now.
Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
Whatever the case, don't know the law in all jurisdictions but a good place to start is never acknowledge the debt and ask for proof. Something like "I do not believe I owe this creditor any money, please send me proof of the debt". should suffice. DO NOT say anything else. Two reasons, there is a statute of limitations for collecting a debt (as short as 3 years). If you acknowledge and agree to a payment plan you could have reset the clock for statute of limitations. Also, there is a good chance that they do not have evidence of the debt in which case they would not be able to get a judgement against you if you fight it.

·
Premium Member
24,565 Posts
Hi everyone,
I returned a leased Uber exchange car in 2019 and received a letter from a debt collector « RPM »alleging a 3000.00$ balance owed.
I never missed a single payment.
Any similar cases in the community ?
Any advice appreciated in advance.
I'm dealing with them now.

Long story short I think when Fair took over Xchange they didn't credit payments that I made. They want $1400.

Go through your bank statements and send them a record of your payments. If you did it via debit card look for this:

Water Rectangle Asphalt Line Font

Do a search for your payment amount in your bank statements since it won't say "Fair".

I'm doing that along with having a lawyer tell them to go **** themselves.

·
26,211 Posts
Do you still have a copy of the lease agreement? Read it and see if it states conditions for early return. Further, if you have any advertisements or e-Mails that tell you that you can return the car at any time without penalty, these days, the courts will let you use that to get out of it. There was a time when only the signed agreement mattered, and, indeed, it still carries the most weight, but, you can use advertisements against them.

If the lease is silent on early returns, odds are that you can get out of it. The leasing company will try to rely on the statement that you agree to pay X dollars monthly for a term of __________months for a total payment of Y dollars.

I'm dealing with them now. Long story short I think when Fair took over Xchange they didn't credit payments that I made. They want $1400. Go through your bank statements and send them a record of your payments. If you did it via debit card look for this: Do a search for your payment amount in your bank statements since it won't say "Fair". I'm doing that along with having a lawyer tell them to go **** themselves.

That clarifies it: another shady Uber affiliate doing business in the typical dishonest Uber fashion . While anyone with half an ounce of brains will figure out what they are up to and tell them where to go and how to get there, you will have more than a few dumb ants who will pay something if not most or all of it. It is typical Uber money grubbing. Those stock holders must be paid if the Directors want to keep collecting those fees, so they must find money anywhere that they can.

It is not dissimilar to these companies that buy debt on which the statute has run. They might pay one dollar for the right to the debt. If they buy one hundred of these accounts for one hundred dollars and one account that owes two hundred pays up, already they have doubled their money. They figure on getting something out of someone. If even they get just a little out of a few people, usually they can make back their money plus a few dollars more. They buy one hundred accounts for one hundred dollars. Ten people who owe amounts from fifty to five thousand dollars pay fifty dollars each then stop paying. At least they made a four hundred per-cent profit all for the cost of a few nastygrams. These days, you need not even pay postage to send nastygrams. All that you pay is the ISP charges and the employee's time, which is probably close to minimum wage. It is likely that you can outsource it for even less.

I do apologise for being redundant. I typed "shady" Uber affiliate and "dishonest" Uber fashion.

·
Premium Member
24,565 Posts
Do you still have a copy of the lease agreement? Read it and see if it states conditions for early return. Further, if you have any advertisements or e-Mails that tell you that you can return the car at any time without penalty, these days, the courts will let you use that to get out of it. There was a time when only the signed agreement mattered, and, indeed, it still carries the most weight, but, you can use advertisements against them.

If the lease is silent on early returns, odds are that you can get out of it. The leasing company will try to rely on the statement that you agree to pay X dollars monthly for a term of __________months for a total payment of Y dollars.
It's because Uber found a company even more incompetent than they are, which takes some doing.

Xchange Lease was unlimited mileage and you could return it anytime for no penalty with (I believe) 2 weeks notice.

They didn't credit payments that I made. Pure and simple. Not surprising that they did this with others.

Fair also ****ed up my return of the lease. I wanted to buy the car I was leasing. I had a certain window to buy it after the lease ended. They sent the paperwork to the wrong address. By the time I received it the window had closed.

·
26,211 Posts
It's because Uber found a company even more incompetent than they are, which takes some doing.

............or even more malicious, which also takes some doing. Do keep in mind your signature line.

Lease was unlimited mileage and you could return it anytime for no penalty with (I believe) 2 weeks notice.
If this is the case, the odds are that the most for which Original Poster could be on the hook is two weeks. To be sure, they could try to cite his failure to render the Two Weeks' Notice rendered the agreement null and void, but, unless they enumerated their rights under such conditions, the most for which they can get him is two weeks rent.

They didn't credit payments that I made. Pure and simple. Not surprising that they did this with others.
As many people do not keep receipts, they have no proof that the paid. D.C. did this with parking tickets many years past. They were nailing cab drivers with twenty year old parking tickets that they had paid, as you could not renew either a hack licence or cab registration if you had unpaid parking tickets. This is why I always paid by cheque or later credit card or even on line. They tried to nail me with a bunch of allegedly unpaid parking tickets. I went back to the Hack Office and tossed the cancelled cheques onto the counte. and told the lady "I sent the cheques, you cashed them. What did you do with the money? ..............give it to the Mayor (Barry) so that he could buy crack?" The people in the office did not like the last remark, but, they had to give me my hack licence.

D.C. has no statute on unpaid tickets. Many years past, the City Council was going to pass one, but Nathanson, the most moronic of morons until Grosso, got up and said "So what you are telling scofflaws is if they can get away without paying for seven years, they get off scot free?"

No, Rocket Scientist, if you can not get your money within seven years, you do not deserve to get it. Nathanson was the most moronic [donkey]wipe to serve on the City Council until Grosso. I did not think that you could get dumber than Nathanson, but GOODNESS was I ever mistaken. Grosso: there is an utterly moronic moron who wallows in the most abjectly moronic of moronicities that I have yet to see.

Still, I always have kept receipts. I have had landlords try to nail me for alleged "back rent", but as soon as I produced receipts, there was no "back rent". "It must have been a clerical error." No, it must have been that you got popped trying to squeeze a few dollars more out of what you thought was some stoned hippie college student (or recent graduate).

Fair also ****ed up
I do seem to recall your mentioning that your Exchange Lease was transferred to Fair and that they messed up something and what abject moronic morons they were who were wallowing in abjectly moronic moronicity.

·
Premium Member
24,565 Posts
Added to the mental list of reasons to tell people to NEVER ever sign up for this.
Actually in all fairness (no pun intended) the Xchange Lease Program wasn't bad.

My car was easy to pay for and I could walk away at any time with 2 weeks notice.

I drove the **** out of it. I got it with around 32,000 miles on it and 3 years later gave it back with 175,000 miles on it. Not all Uber miles but my 2010 Accord Coupe only has 55,000 miles on it, including driving it from D.C. ro Phoenix this summer, because of using Uber's car.

I'm one of the reasons they lost $9000/vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Actually in all fairness (no pun intended) the Xchange Lease Program wasn't bad.

My car was easy to pay for and I could walk away at any time with 2 weeks notice.

I drove the **** out of it. I got it with around 32,000 miles on it and 3 years later gave it back with 175,000 miles on it. Not all Uber miles but my 2010 Accord Coupe only has 55,000 miles on it, including driving it from D.C. ro Phoenix this summer, because of using Uber's car.

I'm one of the reasons they lost $9000/vehicle.
It’s predatory lending.

You paid far more than what the car was worth, and didn’t even get to keep it.

And they made even more money when they sold it to some shmuck after you returned it.

·
Premium Member
24,565 Posts
............or even more malicious, which also takes some doing. Do keep in mind your signature line.

If this is the case, the odds are that the most for which Original Poster could be on the hook is two weeks. To be sure, they could try to cite his failure to render the Two Weeks' Notice rendered the agreement null and void, but, unless they enumerated their rights under such conditions, the most for which they can get him is two weeks rent.

As many people do not keep receipts, they have no proof that the paid. D.C. did this with parking tickets many years past. They were nailing cab drivers with twenty year old parking tickets that they had paid, as you could not renew either a hack licence or cab registration if you had unpaid parking tickets. This is why I always paid by cheque or later credit card or even on line. They tried to nail me with a bunch of allegedly unpaid parking tickets. I went back to the Hack Office and tossed the cancelled cheques onto the counte. and told the lady "I sent the cheques, you cashed them. What did you do with the money? ..............give it to the Mayor (Barry) so that he could buy crack?" The people in the office did not like the last remark, but, they had to give me my hack licence.

D.C. has no statute on unpaid tickets. Many years past, the City Council was going to pass one, but Nathanson, the most moronic of morons until Grosso, got up and said "So what you are telling scofflaws is if they can get away without paying for seven years, they get off scot free?"

No, Rocket Scientist, if you can not get your money within seven years, you do not deserve to get it. Nathanson was the most moronic [donkey]wipe to serve on the City Council until Grosso. I did not think that you could get dumber than Nathanson, but GOODNESS was I ever mistaken. Grosso: there is an utterly moronic moron who wallows in the most abjectly moronic of moronicities that I have yet to see.

Still, I always have kept receipts. I have had landlords try to nail me for alleged "back rent", but as soon as I produced receipts, there was no "back rent". "It must have been a clerical error." No, it must have been that you got popped trying to squeeze a few dollars more out of what you thought was some stoned hippie college student (or recent graduate).

I do seem to recall your mentioning that your Exchange Lease was transferred to Fair and that they messed up something and what abject moronic morons they were who were wallowing in abjectly moronic moronicity.
While I usually attribute my tagline to Uber's actions, I think Fair was just run by morons.

"Let's start a company to take over a division of a bigger company that is losing $9000/vehicle. What could possibly go wrong?"

Reactions: Lissetti

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts

That clarifies it: another shady Uber affiliate doing business in the typical dishonest Uber fashion . While anyone with half an ounce of brains will figure out what they are up to and tell them where to go and how to get there, you will have more than a few dumb ants who will pay something if not most or all of it. It is typical Uber money grubbing. Those stock holders must be paid if the Directors want to keep collecting those fees, so they must find money anywhere that they can.

It is not dissimilar to these companies that buy debt on which the statute has run. They might pay one dollar for the right to the debt. If they buy one hundred of these accounts for one hundred dollars and one account that owes two hundred pays up, already they have doubled their money. They figure on getting something out of someone. If even they get just a little out of a few people, usually they can make back their money plus a few dollars more. They buy one hundred accounts for one hundred dollars. Ten people who owe amounts from fifty to five thousand dollars pay fifty dollars each then stop paying. At least they made a four hundred per-cent profit all for the cost of a few nastygrams. These days, you need not even pay postage to send nastygrams. All that you pay is the ISP charges and the employee's time, which is probably close to minimum wage. It is likely that you can outsource it for even less.

I do apologise for being redundant. I typed "shady" Uber affiliate and "dishonest" Uber fashion.
And when the Junk Debt Buyer (JDB) thinks they have "collected" all they think they can from those accounts they sell them to another JDB and it starts all over again. IMS, RPM is a JDB.

·
Premium Member
24,565 Posts
It’s predatory lending.

You paid far more than what the car was worth, and didn’t even get to keep it.

And they made even more money when they sold it to some shmuck after you returned it.
My credit at the time was meh so it helped me get a nicer car that doubled as a work tool. Aside from Fair ****ing up the lease return I have no issues with Xchange Lease Program.

It went to auction so pretty sure they lost on it there too.

• Haha
Reactions: Uberyouber

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
My credit at the time was meh so it helped me get a nicer car that doubled as a work tool. Aside from Fair ****ing up the lease return I have no issues with Xchange Lease Program.

It went to auction so pretty sure rhey lost on it there too.
They didn’t lose a dime off your car.

Again, over the course of your lease you paid them far more than the car was worth. I guarantee it. And then you gave them the car back - after they earned a lot of money off your lease payments.

Then, after they earned all that money off you from a car you didn’t get to keep, they sold the car and made more money. Even if it sold at auction for just $50.00,they made an additional $50.00 off that car on top of what they earned from you.

I see why your credit was meh: you think you’re the one that made out good on that deal.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Find out if the debt was purchased.

If so, then the original contract will be difficult to enforce.

If you ever get frustrated enough to fork over money, never pay more than $0.25-$0.30/dollar to settle and require a release of all past, present, and future claims against you whether known or unknown at time of settlement.

Get the signed agreement before you send any money. Before. There is no other acceptable time frame.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
And when the Junk Debt Buyer (JDB) thinks they have "collected" all they think they can from those accounts they sell them to another JDB and it starts all over again. IMS, RPM is a JDB.
Exactly.

I have a debt of $368 for a Sears Card in 1986 that I get calls on every 6 months or so. The last letter I got was about 10 years ago and they offered a “settlement” of less than $100.

The predatory collectors are evil.

Always remember the collector has no incentive to clear you name in all the databases after they have your money. If you ever settle, get a release in advance.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts