Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice in recent weeks I've shown up and had the rider tell me verbally they can't leave now but go ahead and charge them. I went into the app and selected rider requested cancel and both times I didn't get paid. Both times I also hadn't swiped to begin the trip. Is there a way to ensure you're paid for those?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ask the rider to cancel. I had a rider give me his phone to show him how to cancel last weekend. Even though I have never canceled as a rider, and never seen the iPhone rider app, it took about 15 seconds.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hit them with a no show fee. I always did this with no problems. I did find it dumb when they'd wait for you to arrive to tell you to cancel or say oops I accidentally called and it wouldn't let me cancel.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
My advice is to start the trip and then go in and change to destination to somewhere about 50 miles away and once you reach that destination then go in and change it to somewhere that you would like to go. When you end the trip give them 2 stars because it's the right thing to do!

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
Seriously though, ask them to cancel. If they refuse, you have to wait for 5 minutes from the time you arrived before you cancel as no show. So if they won't cancel, drive around the block and wait out the 5 before you cancel. If it's 2AM and the surge is on, either give it up, cancel immediately and just get another fare because it's not worth waiting out the 5 minutes and losing the big surge or wait it out. If you start the trip and jus go a few blocks to get paid, you run the risk of having the fare contested and/or getting a 1 star.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I tell them they get charged more if the driver cancels and they need to do it on their app. I'm trying to avoid raising my cancellation percentage. If I have to cancel and increase my percentage I will wait five minutes to make sure I get paid.

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
I tell them they get charged more if the driver cancels and they need to do it on their app. I'm trying to avoid raising my cancellation percentage. If I have to cancel and increase my percentage I will wait five minutes to make sure I get paid.
Not a bad idea, I always forget that we have to make crap up to get them to do what we want!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
How about, "I can't get another ride until you cancel (cause your app says you are on a trip)." If they don't cancel, that explains you waiting for 5 minutes to get the no show.

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
How about, "I can't get another ride until you cancel (cause your app says you are on a trip)." If they don't cancel, that explains you waiting for 5 minutes to get the no show.
While that's a great idea, the problem is twofold. First I find that people in that situation are in a hurry and dismissive, they tend to say just cancel and hang up. Second, they would have to actually care about you. I've had 3 people in 6000 trips actually care. They came out, said they were sorry but needed to cancel and gave me a few bucks. The other 200 or so we're not at all concerned about me losing money.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
While that's a great idea, the problem is twofold. First I find that people in that situation are in a hurry and dismissive, they tend to say just cancel and hang up. Second, they would have to actually care about you. I've had 3 people in 6000 trips actually care. They came out, said they were sorry but needed to cancel and gave me a few bucks. The other 200 or so we're not at all concerned about me losing money.
I've never had anyone verbally cancel (500 trips) so no clue what would work. Was just suggesting a response that explains WHY they need to cancel and why you sit and wait 5 mins. Either way, you get a cancellation fee.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Twice in recent weeks I've shown up and had the rider tell me verbally they can't leave now but go ahead and charge them. I went into the app and selected rider requested cancel and both times I didn't get paid. Both times I also hadn't swiped to begin the trip. Is there a way to ensure you're paid for those?
tell them to cancel. Also ask for a tip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts