Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had to deal with hourly in a long time. Last week I worked a bit and I'm having trouble for Saturday's promo.

Question: Are the hourly incentives paid by each hour qualified, cumulatively? Or by the average for the whole day? Let me clarify.

A:You work 4 hours and make 6 trips.
4 x 1.5 = 6 trips. You qualify.

B:You are working hard, you decide to stay out an extra hour but you do not receive any trips for the last hour.
You are left with 5 hours and 6 trips.
5 x 1.5 = 7.5 trips. You do not qualify for the 5 hours because you are missing 1.5 trips.

But do you then qualify for the original 4 hours? You still have enough trips to do so.

They are trying to screw me for having stayed online longer, paying me less for having worked more? Staying online an extra hour invalidated my first 4 hours of work that I had already qualified for. o_O fuber logic.

·
Registered
493 Posts
1.5 trips/hour online.

So with scenario B, you technically aren't paid since you didn't meet 1.5 trips for all hours online. Even the first 4 hours.

It's always good to bang out your trips early and never stay online longer than the 1.5 trip threshold.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i used to love the hourly back then where i would purposely get it every other week, cause i know where the shorties honey was at but now its basically gone. but the fact that they're changing the times almost every week and keep in mind that the hourly starts at as late as 5pm during rush hour in core LA? yea good luck getting shorties. on top of traffic and competition. not worth it to me

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Staying online an extra hour invalidated my first 4 hours of work that I had already qualified for. o_O fuber logic.
That is unfortunately the whole point of the 1.5 rides /hr -- 80% acceptance math. Next time, if this happens, try to make it up by driving a few more hours during hourly incentive and wracking up 2-3 trips in an hour. Uber will not budge on this decision. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a real bummer. Last Saturday was terrible. I did not receive trips. Literally, 5 trips all day. Oh well, thanks!

Next time I'm leaving early.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I hate the hourly as well, but was pleasantly surprised by Uber's payout.

I thought it was cumulative as well, but I think it is by the hour. I received about 3x the time I expected.

The problem is of course, you get almost no pings on hourly.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's cumulative. You need to complete 1.5 trips per hour over the entire guarantee period or whatever portion of the guarantee period you choose to be online.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's cumulative. You need to complete 1.5 trips per hour over the entire guarantee period or whatever portion of the guarantee period you choose to be online.
Yeah, but it seems that they either pay everything based on average trips or nothing.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The Terms and Conditions for hourly have not changed sine April 30, 2016 (https://newsroom.uber.com/us-california/terms-conditions/):

Terms & Conditions
April 30, 2016 Posted by Uber Los Angeles

• Maintain the required trips per hour. Trips per hour (TPH) is calculated by taking your total number of completed trips in a given incentive period divided by the total number of hours that you were online during that same incentive period.
  • Maintain a [80%] acceptance rate over all hours driven. Your acceptance rate is calculated by taking the total number of trip requests that you accepted during the incentive period divided by the total number of trip requests that were sent to you during that same incentive period.
  • Qualification parameters reset at the beginning of each new incentive period.
  • Guaranteed amounts are average hourly gross fares, based on hours online per incentive period, and include the Uber service fee. Booking Fee and tolls are not included in the guaranteed amount.
  • Average hourly gross fares are calculated by taking your total gross fares (including the Uber service fee) in a given incentive period and dividing them by the total number of hours that you were online in that same incentive period.
  • Guarantee available for a limited time only. Terms subject to change.

For you convenience I have highlighted in bold the bullets that answer your question.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Its best when on hourly do be ahead of the game. If you had 6 rides in 4 hours and hypothetically there were 2 hours left in the window, you should consider your next move pretty carefully because you barely made it this far. If the number of pings you get goes up you'll be fine. But if it goes down, even a little bit then you get no guarantee and all you have to show for your time is 6 rides worth of taking college kids around the block.

Another thing that could happen is if you go on a long ride you'll fall behind and there's just not enough time to make it up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
each hourly block is its own thing

for example 7-9 am you need 3 trips 80% acceptance rate 25% completion so you can do 3 trips and cancel 9

it restarts again at 5-11 pm if you work 6 hours and do 8 trips instead of 9 you wont get bonus but youll still be paid for 7-9 am
you have to plan a strategy for the hourly guarantee and its free money

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
"you can do 3 trips and cancel 9"

If there's ever been a legit reason for Uber to prioritize metals over hourlies this is it and if in fact they are doing it for this reason I fully support it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was screwed for last Friday on guarantee. I was online for 12 hrs straight acceptance 100% however only received 10 pings. I emailed support and they replied that my incentive for July 1st will be paid on June 20th. WTF!!? I did let them know that their canned reply had expired.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was screwed for last Friday on guarantee. I was online for 12 hrs straight acceptance 100% however only received 10 pings. I emailed support and they replied that my incentive for July 1st will be paid on June 20th. WTF!!? I did let them know that their canned reply had expired.
Haha. It's beyond ridiculous. The same thing happened to me. Expired canned reply.

·
Banned
4,609 Posts
I haven't had to deal with hourly in a long time. Last week I worked a bit and I'm having trouble for Saturday's promo.

Question: Are the hourly incentives paid by each hour qualified, cumulatively? Or by the average for the whole day? Let me clarify.

A:You work 4 hours and make 6 trips.
4 x 1.5 = 6 trips. You qualify.

B:You are working hard, you decide to stay out an extra hour but you do not receive any trips for the last hour.
You are left with 5 hours and 6 trips.
5 x 1.5 = 7.5 trips. You do not qualify for the 5 hours because you are missing 1.5 trips.

But do you then qualify for the original 4 hours? You still have enough trips to do so.

They are trying to screw me for having stayed online longer, paying me less for having worked more? Staying online an extra hour invalidated my first 4 hours of work that I had already qualified for. o_O fuber logic.
Have a couple friends close by ready to order a shorty pool ride.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
It was actually 13 hrs on Friday starting at 2pm-3am.
I hate to say it but I think you have about a .00001% chance of getting any satisfaction on this one. I'm rooting for you don't get me wrong but this is a tough one.

On Friday I had 5 rides after 2 hours or so. I got pinged #6 to go an hour away so I went from being well ahead of the game to just a little bit. I deadmiled back, got 1 more but it was getting slow and I didn't want to fall behind with all the stories I've been hearing so I just said screw it and went home with 7 rides and just over 4 hours.

But then they didn't pay me the incentive for Friday. Why? Because that morning I'd worked alost 2 hours but well before the incentive period began thus giving me a day total of 9 rides in just over 6 hours. I think I'll win it eventually but for now it's maddening trying to explain it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you fall that far behind in terms of trips per hour, wouldn't it make sense to move outside the core to try and catch some surge rather than continue to pursue a guarantee you have little to no chance of qualifying for?

·
Registered
122 Posts
You definitely have to have a strategy for the hourly. I noticed on a Sat I was getting consistent (every 15min) core pings up until 7/7:30 then they completely disapeared (in core). The question is why. My theory is that maybe at 7:30 a lot of medal holders logged on. So I'm going to try to keep track of when the highest rate for the medal holders is and maybe try to avoid those hours when the pings start to not come in anymore. I think the only way to find out what/when the medal incentives are is by medal holders posting them to this website; that way we can try to stay out of each others way as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts