Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
You ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait till this summer. One ping Wednesday. Four ping friday. The number of drivers is increasing monumentally every single week.

There are those looking for that mythical Uber cash they've heard so much about. There are unemployed newcomers who borrow a relative's car at a loss. There are hobbyist drivers who don't care what they make and think Uber is charming. There are the mathematically inept who don't know it costs money to operate a car. There is a bottomless well of talent. Uber could pay drivers in beatings, and there'd still be a lineup at 312 Adelaide.

Soon there will be more Ubers on the road than normal cars. Actually, if you don't count parked cars, this is probably already the case in Toronto at night.

It's time to give up hope. It only goes down from here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You ain't seen nothin' yet. Wait till this summer. One ping Wednesday. Four ping friday. The number of drivers is increasing monumentally every single week.

There are those looking for that mythical Uber cash they've heard so much about. There are unemployed newcomers who borrow a relative's car at a loss. There are hobbyist drivers who don't care what they make and think Uber is charming. There are the mathematically inept who don't know it costs money to operate a car. There is a bottomless well of talent. Uber could pay drivers in beatings, and there'd still be a lineup at 312 Adelaide.

Soon there will be more Ubers on the road than normal cars. Actually, if you don't count parked cars, this is probably already the case in Toronto at night.

I hope this was half kidding .... :(

Are summers that bad? It's got to pick up by end of March. City life was dead after Christmas....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ridiculously slow today.
And there is no convenient reason this time. No holiday, no weird time of year. This is the new norm. But Uber wants more drivers. They will spend hundreds for every new driver like its water.

I predict surge will go extinct by August 2017. Maybe 1.2x at 2am on Saturday night with some kind of storm. If you're lucky..

·
Registered
156 Posts

Where is Karem with his positive hope?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I hope this was half kidding .... :(

Are summers that bad? It's got to pick up by end of March. City life was dead after Christmas....
City life is alive and well now. That isn't the problem.

Once university is out for summer in April, once people go on summer vacations, once the weather is beautiful and people start walking and biking more, Uber will fall to the wayside. Survive till September, and maybe there's a few more months of juice left in this gig.

·
Registered
25 Posts

What I don't understand is why people are showing any surprise for the lack of pings. Uber allows it, encourages it, and hopes anyone who owns a car will drive for Uber. Of course noone will make enough to make it worthwhile. Why do you think taxi's numbers are regulated? Travis says it's because "the big Taxi cartels" influence government to keep it that way, but the basic math says you can't allow too many cars to operate, or noone makes enough to pay for expenses, and take any money home. Uber is deregulation hidden under a cool app. Deregulation of the ride-for-hire industry has failed historically, and I don't expect Uber will change this fact. So, this is very much a temporary gig for me, Hoping I can get a job sitting on my ass, that doesn't mile out my vehicle. And minimum wage will still be better than this bs.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Was at the Green Light Hub's building in Scarborough on Monday and there were people sitting on the floor waiting for it to open at 8am...then when I walked by it again around 4:30 there were so many people in the hall...gonna get even worse people...and as a side note, I drive a lot for my full time job and I see a lot of ubers out there, I haven't seen one car in at least a month with the correct placing of the sticker...did they get rid of the instructions to save $$$ on the cost of ink or is it that everyone is borderline ******ed?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Was at the Green Light Hub's building in Scarborough on Monday and there were people sitting on the floor waiting for it to open at 8am...then when I walked by it again around 4:30 there were so many people in the hall...gonna get even worse people...
Ha! Seriously? Sounds like Costco during tire season. That is definitely worrying. I've only been to the Uber office in Toronto one time on a Saturday morning, and there were two other drivers there. Maybe I got lucky.

did they get rid of the instructions to save $$$ on the cost of ink or is it that everyone is borderline ******ed?
I'm going to go with option B

·
Registered
688 Posts
People are using Uber less because the service is worse than taxis now. I had several riders complaining about cancellations to try to get higher surge price, not allowing their dogs, bad smell and overall dirty cars that sound like they are falling apart.

I had a ride in a select car and the suspension sounded like it was completely gone banging on each bump in the road o_O

1 - 20 of 32 Posts