Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have to call it a night and enjoy the fireworks. Waiting for AAA at the moment. I'm on 2.2 boost too... Ohh well...

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
AAA roadside tests suck. Get a real mechanic to check it out.

I had a work van with a dead battery the AAA guy said it just needed charging..Really? I just drove 50 miles and turned it off for one hour... now it won't crank but the battery is good? NO! the battery is junk. I insisted they put in a new one, worked great for the next year it was assigned to me.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
If a car won't crank over... the battery is dead at the moment. If the battery is over 4 years old, replace it.

The alternator may not be charging the battery, that could be why it is dead at the moment.

you need a real mechanic to diagnose properly....

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I agree with L. Auber X. My truck battery was kind of half way and my buddy came over and we put it on the tester and it said the battery is good. But unlike me, he's smart. He said no its the battery. We put the battery on his car and it started. He still said it's the battery. So I got a new battery and the problem was solved

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Alternators are pretty easy to test. Hook a volt meter up when the car is on and see what it's pushing out. A healthy alternator should be pushing out about 14 volts.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
AAA showed me and it's only pushing about 8 volts.
with the jump starter still connected? or with just your dead battery exciting the alternator??

Alternators need 12 volts across the "field" terminal to charge. otherwise you get nada.

You need a good, charged battery in the car being tested to properly test an alternator... AAA sucks.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
AAA showed me and it's only pushing about 8 volts.
It's probably the alternator if it's only pushing out 8 volts, but I wouldn't get it replaced just yet. You want to test the alternator when the battery is charged to get an accurate reading. If it's still giving you 8 volts when the battery is charged, your alternator is shot.

How old is your battery? When was it last replaced?

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
It's probably the alternator if it's only pushing out 8 volts, but I wouldn't get it replaced just yet. You want to test the alternator when the battery is charged to get an accurate reading. If it's still giving you 8 volts when the battery is charged, your alternator is shot.

How old is your battery? When was it last replaced?
If the alternator is good and the battery is dead what does it show then?

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
If the alternator is good and the battery is dead what does it show then?
if the battery is junk, with less than 9 volts or so the alternator will not charge, so it will show battery voltage. what was the battery voltage before the alternator test??? it would not start the car so I'm guessing it was 8 volts!!

check the battery voltage first. 12.7 volts is a fully charged battery. 11.8 volts is junk. in between are stages of good.

if you don't have 12 volts to excite the alternator it will not charge, so you just read the voltage of the bad battery (8 volts) if the car will stay running. most modern cars need 10 volts to run.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
if the battery is junk, with less than 9 volts or so the alternator will not charge, so it will show battery voltage. what was the battery voltage before the alternator test??? it would not start the car so I'm guessing it was 8 volts!!

check the battery voltage first. 12.7 volts is a fully charged battery. 11.8 volts is junk. in between are stages of good.

if you don't have 12 volts to excite the alternator it will not charge, so you just read the voltage of the bad battery (8 volts) if the car will stay running. most modern cars need 10 volts to run.
To add to that, here's a good chart showing battery life with regards to voltage.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Battery is only 1.5 years old. It'll be checked out at the shop tomorrow.
Battery should be good at only 1.5 years old, but still best to have the shop check it out. They'll attempt to charge the battery or will hook a working one up to your car. Very easy to diagnose. An alternator should run you about $200 plus about an hour or so of labor. They're pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Battery should be good at only 1.5 years old, but still best to have the shop check it out. They'll attempt to charge the battery or will hook a working one up to your car. Very easy to diagnose. An alternator should run you about $200 plus about an hour or so of labor. They're pretty easy to do.
So im looking at around $300 I suppose. Damn it.. I'm going to Vegas in 2 weeks.. Lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts