Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m looking at replacing my dodgy dash cam. It’s forward facing, recording traffic only. Does anyone have suggestions for a decent replacement cam? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Ok, thanks for that. The best I can tell , given that I am looking for a forward facing (not internal recording, and no voice recording) is that I can legally install one.?
My understanding of the whole legality issue is you must have an approved camera if you want to protect your livelihood against malicious false complaints in relation to behaviour or driving !!!!!!!
Not having audio or inward facing camera would disallow a driver to defend against deactivation for a malicious or false complaint , that Uber considers serious but unprovable either way?
The problem is no one can inform me where these cameras can be obtained and installed , no one in their right minds would take an Uber car into a taxi base for their technicians to have their car for a couple of hours?
Iam keen to have a fully approved dual camera with voice recording which enables a driver to officially access camera via Transport or police and it has to be considered as evidence against complaint???
Especially important for those who have a BEA , yet despite intensive googling of a models given to me by UBER cannot find a non taxi affiliated installer, anyone know???

·
Registered
197 Posts
My understanding of the whole legality issue is you must have an approved camera if you want to protect your livelihood against malicious false complaints in relation to behaviour or driving !!!!!!!
Not having audio or inward facing camera would disallow a driver to defend against deactivation for a malicious or false complaint , that Uber considers serious but unprovable either way?
The problem is no one can inform me where these cameras can be obtained and installed , no one in their right minds would take an Uber car into a taxi base for their technicians to have their car for a couple of hours?
Iam keen to have a fully approved dual camera with voice recording which enables a driver to officially access camera via Transport or police and it has to be considered as evidence against complaint???
Especially important for those who have a BEA , yet despite intensive googling of a models given to me by UBER cannot find a non taxi affiliated installer, anyone know???
I am also looking. Might be a good business op for some one who isn't anti booked hire ( Uber ola etc )

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
...here we a few "little"problems that can be overcome,at least to protect yourself and your family life,so that is what I do:
when driving,-have not driven uber since upfront price started,-first,I have sign like in the taxi's,one camera recording outside,second recording inside and sign is very prominent ...
...then,when start driving,-have tablet with a 128 GB memory card,-I start a voice recording,and it is going from the moment I log in and finish on the end of my driving "shift" just to have a prove that no manipulation of my duel recording camera was there,-just a back up...
...even if I was not able to use it in court of law,at least my wife would not "kick me out"from home,but imagine if you told at court,if in trouble,that you have a recording,and it is your word against accuser and it is backed up by second device to protect from manipulation...
...would not drive without it...

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
I am also looking. Might be a good business op for some one who isn't anti booked hire ( Uber ola etc )
Bling drivers in Melb have been complaing that Ola, when the app is on are filming you , inside the car , and record what is happening
Can't really rember the details check their forum it's there somewhere, Ola will be the key word

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Blackvue 950 4K wi fi and cloud 2 channel, approx $850 , would provide excellent proof of accidents and interior , to guard against any false complaint, footage could be uploaded to Uber every day , peace of mind for those who do the correct thing , but alas the Transport Dept only allow ancient grainy cameras that no one knows who installs , the fine is $375 for using a state of the art 4K resolution camera , something very odd about this state of affairs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
A lot of drivers use cameras..
Why do a lot of drivers use cameras?

Blackvue 950 4K wi fi and cloud 2 channel, approx $850 , would provide excellent proof of accidents and interior , to guard against any false complaint, footage could be uploaded to Uber every day , peace of mind for those who do the correct thing , but alas the Transport Dept only allow ancient grainy cameras that no one knows who installs , the fine is $375 for using a state of the art 4K resolution camera , something very odd about this state of affairs.
Its legislation that dictates what can be used. It would be interesting if an assault took place and video footage was captured showing proof of assault. Would the courts say the evidence is unable to be viewed? Then if it was a major terrorist crime I bet there would be no rules if the footage was legal or illegal.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Why do a lot of drivers use cameras?

Its legislation that dictates what can be used. It would be interesting if an assault took place and video footage was captured showing proof of assault. Would the courts say the evidence is unable to be viewed? Then if it was a major terrorist crime I bet there would be no rules if the footage was legal or illegal.
The technology is there for ride share drivers to film every single second of their online activity
Why ?
To prove your innocence against malicious and/ or false complaint , and the lying criminally minded scammers / malcontents , taxi license owners ( lots of them from Melbourne and Sydney who delight in having an opportunity to rate Uber drivers .

I own a 4 year old immaculate as new Holden, it is as clean as possible inside and out , yet I received two days ago a car quality report on app , the second only ever in over 2500 trips, I know who it was, she gave me the witch stare as I pulled in at John Flynn Hospital , we talked pleasantly enough , but behold last trip of day and five minutes after dropping her off , the report shows on app .... cleanliness, and the car quality hint!

The car had been washed , car windows wound down at every opportunity between trips , to dispel riders body odour in back seats , most riders , comment on the nice car, but this person , possibly a taxi driver or taxi drivers partner, or a taxi plate owner , or just a nasty pasty , decided to lie!!!

That is why cameras should be 24 hr body cameras , that evil person could have reported any lie she could muster, and what then?..
That report is gleaming in yellow at me every time I check ratings until next Monday ... and it is 1oo per cent a malicious and false report.

Power, Corruption and Lies, Republic , applies to us all without proof of the truth via camera .

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bling drivers in Melb have been complaing that Ola, when the app is on are filming you , inside the car , and record what is happening
Can't really rember the details check their forum it's there somewhere, Ola will be the key word
You would notice a heavily increased data rate if this were true.

Looking at around 3mb for 1 min of video transfer, that's 2.1GB on a 12 hour shift, I call bullshit and most likely another Taxi driver spreading false information.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The technology is there for ride share drivers to film every single second of their online activity
Why ?
To prove your innocence against malicious and/ or false complaint , and the lying criminally minded scammers / malcontents , taxi license owners ( lots of them from Melbourne and Sydney who delight in having an opportunity to rate Uber drivers .

I own a 4 year old immaculate as new Holden, it is as clean as possible inside and out , yet I received two days ago a car quality report on app , the second only ever in over 2500 trips, I know who it was, she gave me the witch stare as I pulled in at John Flynn Hospital , we talked pleasantly enough , but behold last trip of day and five minutes after dropping her off , the report shows on app .... cleanliness, and the car quality hint!

The car had been washed , car windows wound down at every opportunity between trips , to dispel riders body odour in back seats , most riders , comment on the nice car, but this person , possibly a taxi driver or taxi drivers partner, or a taxi plate owner , or just a nasty pasty , decided to lie!!!

That is why cameras should be 24 hr body cameras , that evil person could have reported any lie she could muster, and what then?..
That report is gleaming in yellow at me every time I check ratings until next Monday ... and it is 1oo per cent a malicious and false report.

Power, Corruption and Lies, Republic , applies to us all without proof of the truth via camera .
why did uber fight the decision to put cameras in cars to prevent what you have said?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
why did uber fight the decision to put cameras in cars to prevent what you have said?
How many passengers on a Friday , Saturday night would have to be banned from app , for disrespect, racism, bullying , verbal innuendo , verbal abuse , verbal threats , if an Uber driver could relay to the world how they are treated by albeit a minority of riders ?
As a person who many years ago whilst relocating to a new city , drove Taxis on the night shift , if you can survive that with your dignity of sorts intact , and do it again week after week , you learn something, some people will act like animals if they know they are not accountable .
No person in 2018 should have to kow tow to fellow humans who have no respect .
Cameras ensure accountability , that is why every honest rideshare driver should use them .

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
How many passengers on a Friday , Saturday night would have to be banned from app , for disrespect, racism, bullying , verbal innuendo , verbal abuse , verbal threats , if an Uber driver could relay to the world how they are treated by albeit a minority of riders ?
As a person who many years ago whilst relocating to a new city , drove Taxis on the night shift , if you can survive that with your dignity of sorts intact , and do it again week after week , you learn something, some people will act like animals if they know they are not accountable .
Cameras ensure accountability , that is why every honest rideshare driver should use them .
I don' want to be a spoil sport or anything , but I don't think the law allows , inwards cameras ,, was discussed at length , when BHSL Jan 15th 2018 was introduced .
From memory something about privacy of pax ,
But that's my memory of it , and even I can't rely on that:(

·
Registered
523 Posts
Drivers can have legal cameras. Taxi cameras are hard wired so if like the cab stolen from Sunshine Coast and driven to Toowoomba then it can be followed by police. I believe cameras can be installed but at a hefty cost. It comes down to safety and security vs $$$$. That was the argument from uber that it was too expensive for drivers to install yet in the hour of need of need video footage the need for a camera would be priceless

I don' want to be a spoil sport or anything , but I don't think the law allows , inwards cameras ,, was discussed at length , when BHSL Jan 15th 2018 was introduced .
From memory something about privacy of pax ,
But that's my memory of it , and even I can't rely on that:(
Correct. But an expensive legal commercial authorised installed camera is expensive. $$$$ vs your safety and wellbeing?

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Drivers can have legal cameras. Taxi cameras are hard wired so if like the cab stolen from Sunshine Coast and driven to Toowoomba then it can be followed by police. I believe cameras can be installed but at a hefty cost. It comes down to safety and security vs $$$$. That was the argument from uber that it was too expensive for drivers to install yet in the hour of need of need video footage the need for a camera would be priceless

Correct. But an expensive legal commercial authorised installed camera is expensive. $$$$ vs your safety and wellbeing?
Yeh tiger can' be bothered going back but camera was something like $ 900 and fitting on top of that , as the TMR had to inspect , and had to be fitted by a proffessional, " backyard " fittings were not allowed;)

Memories coming back ,I thought at the time I'll just use my second phone should things get out of hand !
That as far as I know is not illegal depending on the situation !

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
...nothing happens,after one month recordings are deleted,so for so good...I'm more scared of what a sexual or any other accusation would do to my life than any court on the land...
...as I wrote in earlier post,when start driving start audio recording,goes without turning it off till I finish driving for a day,second device records video and audio,all kept for a month,and no one will ever see it unless in court...
...as they say:"there is no smog without the fire"and I'm not the one who will try to explain my innocence...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts