Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions/issues.

I drive overnights. Half the time I only know vaguely what a passenger is up to (the vast majority of the time--looking at their phones). Audio would probably suffice for most claims. But do any night owls have special handling of this?

Do cams constantly blink or have a light on to indicate it's operational?

What about forward view? Do cams have dual recording? (I was in a fender bender not too long ago, kind of surprised no one asked if i had a dashcam)

In my most extreme rider situation, I kicked someone out and they grabbed my ID from the dashboard and threw it on the ground. I'm thinking a dashcam could be fairly easily grabbed (even from someone in the back seat) and thrown/crushed. Do some cams send video to the cloud or something?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
SatMan is our resident camHero. And he's exhausted. I know first hand how tedious a search and scroll for information can be
maybe one of the elder statesmen--will act all statesman like. Nonetheless, you been around long enough to know the board determined all declared choice and something about IR

Juke box hero--got stars in his eyes...…

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
A few questions/issues.

I drive overnights. Half the time I only know vaguely what a passenger is up to (the vast majority of the time--looking at their phones). Audio would probably suffice for most claims. But do any night owls have special handling of this?

What about forward view? Do cams have dual recording? (I was in a fender bender not too long ago, kind of surprised no one asked if i had a dashcam)

In my most extreme rider situation, I kicked someone out and they grabbed my ID from the dashboard and threw it on the ground. I'm thinking a dashcam could be fairly easily grabbed (even from someone in the back seat) and thrown/crushed. Do some cams send video to the cloud or something? You cam buy one that uploads to cloud But if someone tries to grab mine I just break their wrist or elbow with a couple of nice grabs and pressure. Or if that's not possible, grab an ear...And by God don't let go!
A few questions/issues.

In my most extreme rider situation, I kicked someone out and they grabbed my ID from the dashboard and threw it on the ground. I'm thinking a dashcam could be fairly easily grabbed (even from someone in the back seat) and thrown/crushed. Do some cams send video to the cloud or something?
You can always put a piece of electrical tape over the blinking light.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Damn. I gotta try that again one day.

Since we gonna round the barn again. A question I can't get a straight answer about, myself, in 2+ years:

To sign or not to sign?

Some think you just let that sucker record and have disclaimers and signs galore.

Some think you act nonchalant and act like it ain't there.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Corrrected. And humbled. And my damn questions stands. tell you what I'll test myself, SIGNS everywhere--inside out, et. cet...….
And same trial period stealth. AD, I'll use Hey SATMAN in the title:)

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Damn. I gotta try that again one day.

Since we gonna round the barn again. A question I can't get a straight answer about, myself, in 2+ years:

To sign or not to sign?

Some think you just let that sucker record and have disclaimers and signs galore.

Some think you act nonchalant and act like it ain't there.

What do you think?
I don't say a word.

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
when the parties are all in Illinois, this conversation may be recorded with or without your consent.
  • Posted on May 27, 2016

The preceding answer is correct. Put a video camera openly and notoriously in your passenger compartment. No sign. They will assume you are recording both. And behavior will improve. Video recording of events in your own vehicle is perfectly lawful. Of course make sure your referral organization permits it.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when the parties are all in Illinois, this conversation may be recorded with or without your consent.
  • Posted on May 27, 2016

The preceding answer is correct. Put a video camera openly and notoriously in your passenger compartment. No sign. They will assume you are recording both. And behavior will improve. Video recording of events in your own vehicle is perfectly lawful. Of course make sure your referral organization permits it.
Passenger compartment? (Umm, back seat). Are you kidding? Anyone who has a reason to NOT be cammed could (a) put something over it (b) remove it perhaps "by accident" upon exit.

·
Premium Member
13,239 Posts
Whether you need signs or permission has been decided by the 7th circuit court of appeals, and the SCOTUS has declined to hear the matter.

The litmus test is whether the passenger has a reasonable expectation of privacy. It's your car, driven in public on public roads. So, no.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
A few questions/issues.

Seems lots of people like the Vantrue 2 pro - That's what I have and use for the past year - I USED to have the Falcon 360 -- it does the job but its not as good of a picture as a Vanture 2 - not as small. -So I gave the falcon away to a fellow Uber driver long ago

Whatever you decided never forget this "Don't let anything distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts