Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I had noticed yesterday that there were more boosts and for "slightly higher" amounts in downtown Sac {because of the NCAA and also Saint Patrick's day} than is typical. Now let me preface this by saying, I freaking hate boosts in the first place, as it brings out the ants worse than anything, and just KILLS any potential surges :(
Still, at first I was thinking... Well maybe it wont be so bad, for once I can just log on and take nearly every request, as at least I will be getting paid, 1.5-2.0 no matter what.

But then I noticed the boost area is tightly confined to just the "tiny area" of downtown Sac ! Like a million ants in a freaking thimble ! So what good would it do if I was sitting in the boost zone, if I could not get a ride, due to ridiculous oversaturation ???

So now I'm thinking about heading FAR away from downtown Sac, to an area with zero boosts, but hopefully, BIG, FAT surges, due to lack of drivers... because they are all milling around downtown ???

Anyway, I will report how it all went tomorrow.

But here's the other stupid thing. I see a flag over Davis which says, "High demand" Wait, what ? Isn't that what a surge is for ??? I honestly don't give a $#!+ if everybody in Davis wants a ride ! If I'm not getting paid 2 or 3 X's for it, screw it !
So apparently, Uber makes "fake surges" when their is not a high demand, just because they want to gouge the customer...... But then, they will actually just come right out and tell you that an area is in "High demand" but not pay you a boost or surge prices for it ?

Ef' you Uber :(

Okay. I'm done.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't blame you for ranting. All of your points are super valid. Additionally, I would also be bitter with the UberX rates in your area. 75 cents a mile and 12 cents a minute. That is beyond ridiculous!
Rught ?
And then they have the nerve to send me computer generated notes saying, we have noticed you haven't been accepting rides.... wait ! oh my God ! thanks for informing me of this ! I had no idea !

I so wish I could actually respond to those to an actual human being... I would immediately send one right back that said I have noticed that I am being sent a bunch of b******* non-profitable runs.
Please start sending me some requests that are worth my time so I don't have to spend my day cherry picking !

·
Registered
179 Posts
Okay, so I had noticed yesterday that there were more boosts and for "slightly higher" amounts in downtown Sac {because of the NCAA and also Saint Patrick's day} than is typical. Now let me preface this by saying, I freaking hate boosts in the first place, as it brings out the ants worse than anything, and just KILLS any potential surges :(
Still, at first I was thinking... Well maybe it wont be so bad, for once I can just log on and take nearly every request, as at least I will be getting paid, 1.5-2.0 no matter what.

But then I noticed the boost area is tightly confined to just the "tiny area" of downtown Sac ! Like a million ants in a freaking thimble ! So what good would it do if I was sitting in the boost zone, if I could not get a ride, due to ridiculous oversaturation ???

So now I'm thinking about heading FAR away from downtown Sac, to an area with zero boosts, but hopefully, BIG, FAT surges, due to lack of drivers... because they are all milling around downtown ???

Anyway, I will report how it all went tomorrow.

But here's the other stupid thing. I see a flag over Davis which says, "High demand" Wait, what ? Isn't that what a surge is for ??? I honestly don't give a $#!+ if everybody in Davis wants a ride ! If I'm not getting paid 2 or 3 X's for it, screw it !
So apparently, Uber makes "fake surges" when their is not a high demand, just because they want to gouge the customer...... But then, they will actually just come right out and tell you that an area is in "High demand" but not pay you a boost or surge prices for it ?

Ef' you Uber :(

Okay. I'm done.
I'm certain most of the other uber drivers feel your pain.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I never saw the high demand flag. Maybe that's new?

Surge fares is one of many Uber follies that pit customers and drivers against one another. Surges turn ridesharing into a giant game of Cancel The Chump. Drivers ignore or cancel non-surge rides and pax cancel surge pings if demand falls off. If Uber would raise rates and set lower but fixed surge times, most of the silly games would end. You'd know that from 5 to 7 and 10 pm to 2 am you were going to pay more, it's still cheaper than a cab. The extra money compensates drivers for the extra time during rush hour. Add a fixed event fee for sports venues, events and conventions. Yeah, I'd have to fight traffic at a Miami Dolphins game, but I know I'd get a bonus kicker for that. Right now I might get a surge fare and I might not, so there's no incentive to hang out at the stadium.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never saw the high demand flag. Maybe that's new?

Surge fares is one of many Uber follies that pit customers and drivers against one another. Surges turn ridesharing into a giant game of Cancel The Chump. Drivers ignore or cancel non-surge rides and pax cancel surge pings if demand falls off. If Uber would raise rates and set lower but fixed surge times, most of the silly games would end. You'd know that from 5 to 7 and 10 pm to 2 am you were going to pay more, it's still cheaper than a cab. The extra money compensates drivers for the extra time during rush hour. Add a fixed event fee for sports venues, events and conventions. Yeah, I'd have to fight traffic at a Miami Dolphins game, but I know I'd get a bonus kicker for that. Right now I might get a surge fare and I might not, so there's no incentive to hang out at the stadium.
That doesn't sound too bad but here's another option.....
Do away with Boost and surges altogether but raise the rate substantially so that all rides were worth your time.
Then they could still use the surge map to show you where there was a higher demand.
Then the incentive would be you would be much likelier to get a fast pickup not to mention if it's from a game or an event there's a better chance it will be a longer ride.....
In any case no matter how they were to structure driver's payments it needs to work out to an average of about $17 an hour so that after all expenses arcade you could still clear $10 an hour or minimum wage.
I'm talking about Sacramento of course. Obviously if you live somewhere like San Francisco or other higher cost of living areas the minimum should be 20 to $22 an hour so that you could clear 12 or 13 an hour

Okay some new bull s*** to add....

So they started advertising this big boost downtown Sacramento yesterday and right up until a couple hours ago that was the only area that showed any boost whatsoever. That was fine Drag all the ants to one little pothole so I can more easily avoid them by going the opposite direction.
But now in the last couple hours at the last moment they throw in a boost for the whole entire Sacramento area all the way to Roseville and Folsom three quarters as much boost :( so now the ants don't have as much as said it just a right downtown Sac
I swear this company never stops finding new ways to screw over the drivers and the customers. :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
it needs to work out to an average of about $17 an hour
I would argue that, to be profitable, it would need to average out closer to $25 an hour. Operating the car is one component, risk is another. You need to be compensated for the risks you face as a driver, which are not insignificant.

Yes, I agree with higher fares all the time. If there wasn't a bonus for rush hour, there's no incentive to fight traffic. I could see drivers knocking off at rush hour. There has to be some kind of incentive to work busy times and places. It's better if pax know in advance it's going to cost more. There's less grumbling about a surge fare.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would argue that, to be profitable, it would need to average out closer to $25 an hour. Operating the car is one component, risk is another. You need to be compensated for the risks you face as a driver, which are not insignificant.

Yes, I agree with higher fares all the time. If there wasn't a bonus for rush hour, there's no incentive to fight traffic. I could see drivers knocking off at rush hour. There has to be some kind of incentive to work busy times and places. It's better if pax know in advance it's going to cost more. There's less grumbling about a surge fare.
Okay I hear you on the higher rates during rush hours and the same thing surrounding games and events I suppose.
But it would need to be the same all the time and not getting jacked around at every turn. I swear Uber does this to keep everybody stupid, drivers and pax.
Anything they can do to keep from being patterned:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts