Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the criminal check, What is the point of applying on the net and paying via credit card then having to go down to the police station in person to have id check (which they could not do) because the centrelink card I used for ID did not have a card number on it, it had a customer number on it which I filled in on the online form but the policeman said he needed the card number to verify it. Managed to sort that out.

Then to Parramatta, can't submit the application until the police check comes through, another trip to Parramatta, can't submit application because I have no "proof of English language proficiency"

The girl behind the counter said I need an HSC or equivalent, in English........I had to leave in disgust.

By the way I have lived in Sydney over 40 years and was born in the UK so I know no other language but English.

When I got home I rang up to try and get some sense, and was told there were several private companies that did courses to gain the necessary qualifications, around $300 - $400 each.

Or, if I had a UK or Australian passport that would do?????? WTF..... why would a passport be proof of English language proficiency? I mean, give me a break, it just so happens that I do not have a passport, and have no need for one, and at $250 could do without the expense at this time.
These government departments are really starting to piss me off, every where I go, every thing I want to go they have their hand out, they are even sending me letters threatening me with dire consequences if I drive my car unregistered (for god sake it's not due for renewal till next month)

Anyway just thought I would do a bit of spleen venting.
Was thinking of doing a bit of driving for Uber, but from what I've read in here think I'll give it a miss.

Sydney cab drivers with an HSC in English.........that's a real thigh slapper that one.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Something wrong there mate.

First you don't need to go to the police station to prove id. Everyone does through the Internet and you just need to scan and attach your passport and driver license.

Second you don't need a proof of English proficiency for the DA license. This requirement does not exist.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wtf... they have made it so complicated now... a few years back & you could walk in with rego, insurance & drivers licences - someone would look at your car & that was it.. they made you sit through a 10 min video on some crap & within a few minutes you were getting pings :)

That English rubbish - you should have told the uber cso to get a supervisor & quiz them about why a UK/Aus citizen needs an English proficiency exam ???

·
Registered
470 Posts
[QUOTE="

That English rubbish - you should have told the uber cso to get a supervisor & quiz them about why a UK/Aus citizen needs an English proficiency exam ???[/QUOTE]

He's talking about Department of Transport, not Uber.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Glad I signed up for Uber when I did. Seems like more and more people are having these issues signing up!
Their communication regarding the steps for DAC are terrible. Truly horrible omission of the basic, like the requirement to get a criminal check before DAC is approved. This cost me weeks of waiting, after staff said "oh no worries, you're all good for the dics and forms we need' only to find out later this wasn't the case. And the problem was as much with Hub staff as it was email customer service robots.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Interesting, I was at my local police station on the weekend (reporting a crime, not uber related), and someone came in wanting them to do something about their criminal check... The cops had no idea what they were supposed to do, and TBH, I don't think they were supposed to do anything. I did my criminal check through uber, and they just needed my passport + drivers license + whatever else (standard 100 points of ID).
I guess now they let the driver do that themselves, but should be the same idea. Provide 100 points, pay for the check, and you are good to go...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
"We do have to be a little bit different in our compliance enforcement methods" - in relation to identifying uber vehicles. I imagine part of this is simply booking an uber and then checking the vehicle when it shows up.... I wonder what other "methods" they will use.
Does anyone know what the requirements are here (ie, what authority do they have to stop my vehicle, and hold me there wasting my time? What about paying for the "booking"?. etc..)
PS, yes, I do have my DAC, insurance/etc is all perfectly legit, and my car is immaculate, so I wouldn't (shouldn't) have any issues....

·
Registered
7 Posts
What should I select on type of check: Employment General?? and what should I write in occupation? Uber Driver or current occupation?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I wonder if you are actually applying for a taxi driver authority or DAC for uber ?
The link I got from uber was actually for a taxi authority, so I went and had photo taken at post office, when I want to rms they gave me another form for hire car authority that did not need a photo, thanks to uber I spent a whole afternoon running around for nothing.
By the way the guy at rms said about 4 to 6 weeks processing time.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
By the way the guy at rms said about 4 to 6 weeks processing time.
Same thing they said to me, but when I went to the Parramatta branch of the RMS, I still got the authority in about two weeks. This was for driving a taxi, but I doubt the DAC would be much different.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
hire car authority that did not need a photo
My Hire Car Driver's Authority has my photo. Do the new Authorities not carry a photo?

Does anyone have a Hire Car Driver's Authority that does not have their photo?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts