Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So DAC met with lyft in SF to discuss things they feel are at issue with the driver experience but what a shock that Lyft decides to use them to improve the very thing that will put them out of income, their self driving car initiative. Wow

The highlight of the DAC's visit to Lyft's San Francisco headquarters was a candid, 90-minute discussion about the challenges and opportunities that will come with self-driving vehicles. The DAC received a comprehensive overview of Lyft's vision and goals for self-driving, including saving lives and reducing congestion and emissions. The DAC shared their honest perspectives and concerns about self-driving vehicles, specifically asking questions about expected deployment timelines, what self-driving means for Lyft drivers, and opportunities for earnings on the platform as self-driving grows.

Anyone else think this is wrong use of DACs time there?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
you will never see these self driving cars on the road in your lifetime. my opinion, they will come out and fail. there are some experts saying they will be on the road in 2025. and then we can watch them fail. then wait another 20 years for them to come back out.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
yes they are bragging. 1 vehicle drove 600 miles in 1.5 years with out a crash. wow that is progress. 600 miles i did more that in just 1 day before.
will see how they come out. until they have a adaptive program that lets them think human they will fail. lets put a situation.
self car is cut off a crash will happen. will it crash into the car that cut it off or swerve hit the kids in the street to limit the impact damages? this will be in court after just 1 crash and it will take years for it to be resolved. these cars do not know to drive slower on ice snow. slow deep water ahead. i know there being tested but its very far away to be on the roads in service. even those simple auto breaking systems are failing right now. cars come in and apply the brakes hard for no reason. the car thinks its getting into a crash but its not but its applying the brakes so damn hard its likely to get rear ended. now for air planes and drones they can have auto driving just plug it into the gps and sensors. it will get it close.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
lets face it its all about taking all the money away from us. they can put 100% of it into thee pockets. idk why they were talking about having a meeting likes this is going to benefit us or the pax how?

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The meeting did help push a new feature to give drivers typical reasons why a driver would cancel a ride and have that cancelation not count toward your acceptance rate. You can choose from things like: passenger was a minor, child with no car seat, alcohol container, too many passengers and involved in an accident. They just need to add intoxicated passenger and I'm happy. Though I would much rather it be a box cuz there are tons of other good reasons why we cancelled the ride. Like unable to stop at pickup location or passenger wanted to eat in the car or passenger had too much stuff with them. But suppose this is a start.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
you will never see these self driving cars on the road in your lifetime. my opinion, they will come out and fail. there are some experts saying they will be on the road in 2025. and then we can watch them fail. then wait another 20 years for them to come back out.
They're out there now, and they're carrying paying passengers. Check out the Pittsburgh Uber SDS testing.

As soon as Uber shut it down temporarily because of the killing of the woman in AZ, Pittsburgh surges exploded for the first time since the program started. That shows you the future of rideshare. Let the ants drive during the day, deploy SDC's at night and collect the surge, without paying a cent to drivers.

Here in Miami, Uber SDC's are delivering Domino's pizza. Fortunately, these SDCs are limited to the Brickell area -- a Millennial ghetto. If they run over a few Brickellistas, that would qualify for community service credits.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
darn child seat. i had 1 today. car seat? no he dont need 1 they pick him up all the time with out 1. ok then ***** cancel the ride so you can request somebody that will take you. glad lyft is trying to get things better for us.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're out there now, and they're carrying paying passengers. Check out the Pittsburgh Uber SDS testing.

As soon as Uber shut it down temporarily because of the killing of the woman in AZ, Pittsburgh surges exploded for the first time since the program started. That shows you the future of rideshare. Let the ants drive during the day, deploy SDC's at night and collect the surge, without paying a cent to drivers.

Here in Miami, Uber SDC's are delivering Domino's pizza. Fortunately, these SDCs are limited to the Brickell area -- a Millennial ghetto. If they run over a few Brickellistas, that would qualify for community service credits.
They are delivering pizza? So these ass clowns have to come out of their building to grab it? Sweet

·
Registered
7 Posts
How will they buy liability insurance for the car's AI solving a trolley problem programmatically? Corporate software deciding who to kill is going to be the primary problem sincse no matter who is at fault responsibility for the outcome will be on the software owner. I'd say everything depends on whether the insurers will be willing to take the risk at all. Before or after the first case of driverless car killing someone.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
Here is the Real problem I see with SDC's. LUBER hasn't been able to make money when WE cover the cost of cars and Maintenance. How the hell are they gonna make money when they have to maintain a fleet of SDC's? Just a thought!
Is that a serious question?

Obviously, if they don't have to pay the driver or ever offer another bonus, that money right there pays for maintenance. Also, the lower cost of not having to deal with driver complaints ever again adds to the savings. Plus, if pax can't complain about drivers anymore, there goes half of the free rides they give out, more money back in the bank.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that a serious question?

Obviously, if they don't have to pay the driver or ever offer another bonus, that money right there pays for maintenance. Also, the lower cost of not having to deal with driver complaints ever again adds to the savings. Plus, if pax can't complain about drivers anymore, there goes half of the free rides they give out, more money back in the bank.
Also they have tons and tons of vc money to buy these cars.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The meeting did help push a new feature to give drivers typical reasons why a driver would cancel a ride and have that cancelation not count toward your acceptance rate. You can choose from things like: passenger was a minor, child with no car seat, alcohol container, too many passengers and involved in an accident. They just need to add intoxicated passenger and I'm happy. Though I would much rather it be a box cuz there are tons of other good reasons why we cancelled the ride. Like unable to stop at pickup location or passenger wanted to eat in the car or passenger had too much stuff with them. But suppose this is a start.
What's the timeframe for implementing the cancellation changes? Do you get the cancel fee? Cancel fee should apply if they're a minor.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Uber also involved in a new project of vertical take off and landing of a taxi type aircraft. They had a seminar at the Getty Center in April or May to discuss with metro and military authorities the advantages and new project. It was my understanding that eventually, the only humans on board will be the passengers.
Uber and Lyft are getting billions invested for this type of research , while the drivers are working for peanuts. ????

·
Registered
456 Posts
My take is that the Uber / Lyft want autonomous cars for the following reasons:
  • Uber/Lyft can take 100% of the pax's fees. They're thinking of the millions extra they will make.
  • Cars do not voice opposing/critical views to forums.
  • Cars do not call/email support.
  • A fleet of autonomous cars are 'cool' to claim as your own. Kinda like chest thumping within the tech community.
  • etc.

However, Uber / Lyft will wish they never thought of autonomous cars for the following reasons:
  • Cost of R&D - billions of dollars.
  • Cost of lawsuits for accidents / hitting peds / moving as a pax enters/exits - billions.
  • Lack of customer service and friendliness. A majority of my pax enjoy conversing along a ride - priceless.
and the biggest reason:
  • They have to purchase their own gum and water for pax to take for free ;)

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
They can reswap rides all they want without worrying about "taking" a ride away from a driver.

Eventually they wont bother to tell the pax the license plate # or color of the car until it arrives.

Perhaps they will be able to upsell a lower ETA. "Your car will arrive in 8 minutes. We will keep looking for a closer car and if one becomes available you can be picked up sooner for only $1 more."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts