Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

tonight I completed several Uber Eats orders on one of the orders it was contact-free delivery (as usual), I placed the bag down in front of their door step and sent the customer a message letting them know. As I walked away the customer opened his door took the order and said “Right” and Slammed his door.

I am uncertain as to what he wanted me to do?
give him a call? Obviously I can’t knock on the door unless it’s in their notes and it wasn’t.

on another occurrence last week, I did the same thing the put order at their door and left them a message, the customer came out, and as I went to drive off she started yelling and screaming at me for putting the order “on the ground where animals can eat it......” she was very confrontational and it was really hard to deal with.

I’ve completed over 1,400 deliveries and these are the only two that I consider to be unpleasant experiences, is it better to call every single customer when I arrive? I always call customers if I can’t find their address if it’s a unit or something. Uber has never told me to call customers when I arrive.

has anyone else had customers slam doors also?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Hi,

tonight I completed several Uber Eats orders on one of the orders it was contact-free delivery (as usual), I placed the bag down in front of their door step and sent the customer a message letting them know. As I walked away the customer opened his door took the order and said "Right" and Slammed his door.

give him a call? Obviously I can't knock on the door unless it's in their notes and it wasn't.

on another occurrence last week, I did the same thing the put order at their door and left them a message, the customer came out, and as I went to drive off she started yelling and screaming at me for putting the order "on the ground where animals can eat it......" she was very confrontational and it was really hard to deal with.

I've completed over 1,400 deliveries and these are the only two that I consider to be unpleasant experiences, is it better to call every single customer when I arrive? I always call customers if I can't find their address if it's a unit or something. Uber has never told me to call customers when I arrive.

Of course. It will continue to happen no matter how far you bend over backwards. I had a set of instructions once that were the opposite of what they chose in the App. They chose "Meet at door". Then in the instructions, "Leave at door", "Don't ring bell or knock". My plan was to stand in the front yard and jump up and down while waving my arms around, but he actually opened the door. Just remember, no matter what you do, someone is going to complain. Sometimes its just for a free meal, sometimes its just because they're psychotic, and sometimes its because they are a moron. Don't ever take it personally. Drop off your order and move on to the next. Be very selfish and you will feel better.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Of course. It will continue to happen no matter how far you bend over backwards. I had a set of instructions once that were the opposite of what they chose in the App. They chose "Meet at door". Then in the instructions, "Leave at door", "Don't ring bell or knock". My plan was to stand in the front yard and jump up and down while waving my arms around, but he actually opened the door. Just remember, no matter what you do, someone is going to complain. Sometimes its just for a free meal, sometimes its just because they're psychotic, and sometimes its because they are a moron. Don't ever take it personally. Drop off your order and move on to the next. Be very selfish and you will feel better.
I am very new to this whole Uber Eats thing, 61 trips so far. I have only had a couple "iffy's" and even those two, the customer's were still very nice to me. One of them, the vendor didn't put the drinks in the sack after they told me they had. Of course with all this COVID stuff going on. Once the bag is sealed, I WILL not open it. So, as far as I am concerned, I am just the middle man. I pick up and I drop off and I am as pleasant as I can possibly be through the whole transaction. In the situation above, I just offered to the customer that I would run down to the nearest convenience store and pick them up some drinks. Oddly, they gave me an additional $10 tip, once I returned with the drinks.. I was shocked, because I felt like I had tanked the entire order. So, my advice is simply this. Be as nice and sincere as you possibly can. Remember, us drivers are really the ones taking the risks here, we are the ones doing others a favor. It is not our fault that they either have no car, have little kids at home, handicapped or whatever. We use our personal cars, our gas, our time, we drive to strange locations where we are unfamiliar. Remember, there are more kind and nice people in the world than there are jerks. So, shake off the bad moments and move on with a smile on your face.

Cheers!

Chris

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I am very new to this whole Uber Eats thing, 61 trips so far. I have only had a couple "iffy's" and even those two, the customer's were still very nice to me. One of them, the vendor didn't put the drinks in the sack after they told me they had. Of course with all this COVID stuff going on. Once the bag is sealed, I WILL not open it. So, as far as I am concerned, I am just the middle man. I pick up and I drop off and I am as pleasant as I can possibly be through the whole transaction. In the situation above, I just offered to the customer that I would run down to the nearest convenience store and pick them up some drinks. Oddly, they gave me an additional $10 tip, once I returned with the drinks.. I was shocked, because I felt like I had tanked the entire order. So, my advice is simply this. Be as nice and sincere as you possibly can. Remember, us drivers are really the ones taking the risks here, we are the ones doing others a favor. It is not our fault that they either have no car, have little kids at home, handicapped or whatever. We use our personal cars, our gas, our time, we drive to strange locations where we are unfamiliar. Remember, there are more kind and nice people in the world than there are jerks. So, shake off the bad moments and move on with a smile on your face.

Cheers!

Chris
I had a similar situation to yours, and it ended the same way. There ARE good people out there for sure! Restaurants screwing up the order will continue to happen, and drivers will be the ones to take the blame the majority of the time. I'm approaching 2,800 deliveries with Eats, and there are some doozies I could tell you about; anyone here could I'm sure, we've all had them. After I accepted the fact that sometimes people will complain no matter what you do, I was able to just move on from it. I still go above and beyond, as I simply try to do what I would want someone to do for me if it were my order. When a difficult situation arises, I just let it roll off my back and I move on to the next. It is what it is.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply I appreciate that. that's true can't please everyone, I know what you mean with yours, sometimes I think they leave old notes/mixed messages on the order.

I had a similar situation to yours, and it ended the same way. There ARE good people out there for sure! Restaurants screwing up the order will continue to happen, and drivers will be the ones to take the blame the majority of the time. I'm approaching 2,800 deliveries with Eats, and there are some doozies I could tell you about; anyone here could I'm sure, we've all had them. After I accepted the fact that sometimes people will complain no matter what you do, I was able to just move on from it. I still go above and beyond, as I simply try to do what I would want someone to do for me if it were my order. When a difficult situation arises, I just let it roll off my back and I move on to the next. It is what it is.
Wow that's so many deliveries! Yes there are, I've had many nice customers also.

Cheers!

Chris
Thanks for your comment, good thing not to open the bag. Those tips come in handy 👍

·
Premium Member
2,980 Posts
Hi,

tonight I completed several Uber Eats orders on one of the orders it was contact-free delivery (as usual), I placed the bag down in front of their door step and sent the customer a message letting them know. As I walked away the customer opened his door took the order and said "Right" and Slammed his door.

give him a call? Obviously I can't knock on the door unless it's in their notes and it wasn't.

on another occurrence last week, I did the same thing the put order at their door and left them a message, the customer came out, and as I went to drive off she started yelling and screaming at me for putting the order "on the ground where animals can eat it......" she was very confrontational and it was really hard to deal with.

I've completed over 1,400 deliveries and these are the only two that I consider to be unpleasant experiences, is it better to call every single customer when I arrive? I always call customers if I can't find their address if it's a unit or something. Uber has never told me to call customers when I arrive.

1AB329DF-A666-42CF-B7FA-F6E969C6C03D.jpeg

this sums it up. This person didn't even tip, even though they took the time to inform me that they would complain to Uber if I wasn't a good little 'slave'. Now anytime I am in his area, I just stop my car, ring their doorbell and continue my daily tasks.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Thank you Hellzbelz, I was hoping that I handled my tricky trip correctly. :)

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
1400 deliveries? 2 unpleasant experiences? That is a .1% error rate.

You are doing perfect. Don't go changin' anything.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I have never heard of this rule. Where is it written?
I haven't either. Only one time has a customer specifically stated that in the notes and the customer said that their baby was sleeping. I thought it was okay to knock also and most of the time I am pulling out of the driveway by the time they get to the door. They usually wave and smile at me. *shrug*

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
It’s better for the community if you allow all customers to vent all their anger and frustration to you.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I haven't either. Only one time has a customer specifically stated that in the notes and the customer said that their baby was sleeping. I thought it was okay to knock also and most of the time I am pulling out of the driveway by the time they get to the door. They usually wave and smile at me. *shrug*
I text that I have arrived unless they provide other instructions in the app, period. No knocks or bell ringing unless they request it. If it's an address that is difficult to find, I use an air horn as an echo-locator.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Hi,

Keep in mind that "leave at door" is the default option unless the customer decides to add a specific note. It is a good idea to knock or ring the doorbell if there are no instruction advising otherwise.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
If at any point they consciously went into their app settings and setup contactless delivery, there’s not one thing to tell them but git good. I get their behavior is disturbing but they’re the idiot and it’s not like Uber designed a good interface yet so that’s on some engineer. Don’t feel bad at all forget about it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts

Cheers!

Chris
I take it you only do Eats?

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
1400 deliveries? 2 unpleasant experiences? That is a .1% error rate

You are doing perfect. Don't go changin' anything.
Exactly. No reason to change anything.

With Covid, people have been conditioned to think that .1% is a significantly high number and reason to be concerned, panicked enough to want to rethink one's methods, change everything, and turn the world upside down.

More people need perspective.

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
Whether it's delivery or passengers, most bad behavior gets ignored. If they annoy me enough I 1-star them. I never argue with them about their bad behavior. Reasoning is pointless. That solves nothing.

I had one ride early on that, if it happened today, I'd stop the car and kick them out. That's about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts