Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Currently attending county drug court as a sentence deferred program

8K views 89 replies 37 participants last post by  uberxcalgary 
#1 ·
This is a pre-trial program in which you have certain objectives to complete, once the objectives are completed, the charges are dropped and the case dismissed.

There are 2 components to the program: the 1st component involves an assigned counselor which monitors your progress through the program and is like a case manager. However, to satisfy the state the county also assigns a corrections officer (otherwise known as a probation officer) to your case EVEN though you're not technically on probation. There are different requirements, fees, and stipulations and sometimes the officer gets confused about what she ought to do on a case by case basis.

My problem only started when, last Friday, the officer assigned to my case called and asked if I had a regular driver's license or a state ID. I told her I had a regular driver's license. She then asked me for a number of someone at Uber she can get a hold of. I informed that that I rarely talk to anyone at Uber except support if I have issues with my account, and that there are also users who tweet their requests to the Uber twitter account. Meanwhile, I'm thinking why does she need this? "Well," she says "get me a number for someone I can contact there because they need to know about this." Of course, a million thoughts were filling my head but for the time I wanted to assure her I would cooperate with whatever she might be suggesting just so as not to upset her. After she gave me until Thursday to get her the number, I decided to look into her request because, honestly, I'm serving no sentence, had no conviction, and upon completing this optional program, my record stays as is and the charges will be dropped.

My first question to anyone who might know the answer is, regardless of whether or not she has the right to do this, if she contacts Uber saying, for example, that I'm on probation or some kind of court ordered program, could that affect my job with Uber in any way?

And my second question (which is more legal based) is, can she make me do this, period, considering I'm not on any actual probation and just completing a pre-trial program? The way she asked about my license at first when she called made me believe that she believes I'm on probation, although I'm not certain of that, just speculating.

So, for the TL;DR version: I'm on a pre-trial program, not probation. The officer (who normally does probation cases) assigned to me asked to call Uber and notify them of my legal issues. Assuming I'm an idiot and she does have the right tell Uber I'm on a drug court program (despite the fact I have no convictions, and my charges will be dropped at the end), is my job with Uber at risk?

HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a pre-trial program in which you have certain objectives to complete, once the objectives are completed, the charges are dropped and the case dismissed.

There are 2 components to the program: the 1st component involves an assigned counselor which monitors your progress through the program and is like a case manager. However, to satisfy the state the county also assigns a corrections officer (otherwise known as a probation officer) to your case EVEN though you're not technically on probation. There are different requirements, fees, and stipulations and sometimes the officer gets confused about what she ought to do on a case by case basis.

My problem only started when, last Friday, the officer assigned to my case called and asked if I had a regular driver's license or a state ID. I told her I had a regular driver's license. She then asked me for a number of someone at Uber she can get a hold of. I informed that that I rarely talk to anyone at Uber except support if I have issues with my account, and that there are also users who tweet their requests to the Uber twitter account. Meanwhile, I'm thinking why does she need this? "Well," she says "get me a number for someone I can contact there because they need to know about this." Of course, a million thoughts were filling my head but for the time I wanted to assure her I would cooperate with whatever she might be suggesting just so as not to upset her. After she gave me until Thursday to get her the number, I decided to look into her request because, honestly, I'm serving no sentence, had no conviction, and upon completing this optional program, my record stays as is and the charges will be dropped.

My first question to anyone who might know the answer is, regardless of whether or not she has the right to do this, if she contacts Uber saying, for example, that I'm on probation or some kind of court ordered program, could that affect my job with Uber in any way?

And my second question (which is more legal based) is, can she make me do this, period, considering I'm not on any actual probation and just completing a pre-trial program? The way she asked about my license at first when she called made me believe that she believes I'm on probation, although I'm not certain of that, just speculating.

So, for the TL;DR version: I'm on a pre-trial program, not probation. The officer (who normally does probation cases) assigned to me asked to call Uber and notify them of my legal issues. Assuming I'm an idiot and she does have the right tell Uber I'm on a drug court program (despite the fact I have no convictions, and my charges will be dropped at the end), is my job with Uber at risk?

HELP!
Yes your job would be at risk, however...

Her getting a hold of someone that listens to her will most likely not happen.

Here is a number to Uber. Give it to her and tell her good luck

‭(800) 593-7069‬

#9 ·

HELP!
1.) we are not Lawyers
2.) any of us who are Lawyers do not know specific laws of your state.
3.) any Lawyers here who are approved for practice in your state and happen to be current in Criminal Code in your Jurisdiction do not work pro bono.
4)any Layers in your jurisdiction current on Criminal Code AND working pro bono
Will need you to sign a waiver of liability before being briefed on your specific case.
5.) even meeting all of the afore mentioned parameters and working a staff of paralegals overtime, we do not have sufficient forewarning to research your case and discover possible legal precedent within the parameters of your time frame.
So
Either a.) you are screwed.
Or
B.) you are asking the wrong people.
So in conclusion
It is not possible to give you legal council on Uber Forum.
Now
What you could do( although i neither advise in favor nor against)
Is give them the number to your closest Uber Greeenlight Hub.

P.s.- try to pass your urine & hair drug screens.

I don't know what her intentions are but she is potentially jeopardizing your gig with uber. Talk to a lawyer immediately.
Then she could violate him for not fulfiling the conditions of his non parole parole. By eliminating his job, then finding him in violation for not having a job.
Florida is a " Corporate Prison" state isnt it ?

Welcome to the Twilight Zone of the catch 22 catch 22.
The Hungry Legal " System" Beast must be fed.
Someone has stamped Hors D' oeurvres
On your case file.

#6 ·
Kind of stupid on their part. A probation officer wants you to have a job. Sometimes they can violate you if you don't have one and aren't looking for one. Why the hell would she do something that could cause you to lose a job?

In theory the PO is supposed to be helping you stay out of jail and this doesn't sound like a good one. I had one once and he went out of his way to avoid causing me any problems or embarrassment in the free world.

#10 ·
Kind of stupid on their part. A probation officer wants you to have a job. Sometimes they can violate you if you don't have one and aren't looking for one. Why the hell would she do something that could cause you to lose a job?

In theory the PO is supposed to be helping you stay out of jail and this doesn't sound like a good one. I had one once and he went out of his way to avoid causing me any problems or embarrassment in the free world.[/QUOTE
Sorry to burst your bubble and I hope you do the best in life . Pre trial is done by the state/county/city to save money. Probation is mandated by the court . If you still think your charges will be dropped then you should go to trial and not take the deal. The whole idea of pre trial/probation is you admit your mistake and you are afforded a second chance so you can learn from it.
For this very reason, If I want my family/friends to take a rideshare, I rather have them take lyft(they are shady for money) than uber. Lyft will never allow you on their platform.

#17 ·
This would be the only argument that there is. You are running your own business and that's that. Tell her you file taxes as a business owner not a employee. I would absolutely go to his or her supervisor and explain your case. A lawyer could give some free advice possibly?

If your forced, give them the number to Uber. Hopefully without calling from your phone and without your Uber password it causes a complete run around and the PO gives up. Good luck, it's a shame this happens.

#23 ·
Oh damnit, I didn't mean to trip it this early into my posts on the forum. Is there any way I can reset this thing?

If everything you say is true, having a couple of pills that you have a prescription for (even know it's old) would never actually be taken to court especially if you demand a jury trial. Sounds like your public defender was just moving you down the line.
I wish that were true. But I had a paid attorney, and I even shopped around for other attornies. If I take it to trial, all they have to do is prove those pills were in my possession (easy, considering they were in my pocket), and that I didn't have a current prescription for them, which I didn't. Since I hadn't gotten a prescription in over 2 years, it's a felony drug possession. Any prescription over 6 months old is fair game. They don't mess around with this sort of thing in Florida.

#16 ·
First, you don't have a job with Uber. You have a contract with Uber. You need to educate your court appointed officer or ask her to sign up with Uber with your referral code if she is interested to find out what Uber stands for like the rest of us.
2nd, If it's legal issue, she needs to contact Uber legal dept. or corporate legal council. Ask her to send her contact request to Uber PR Dept or corporate HQ or [building manager] to prove you're still thinking as strait as you can be.

First, you don't have a job with Uber. You have a contract with Uber. You need to educate your court appointed officer or ask her to sign up with Uber with your referral code if she is interested to find out what Uber stands for like the rest of us.
2nd, If it's legal issue, she needs to contact Uber legal dept. or corporate legal council. Ask her to send her contact request to Uber PR Dept or corporate HQ or [building manager] to prove you're still thinking as strait as you can be.
Lastly, give her your number and tell her when to call. Make sure you answer like, This is Uber partner ( or This is Uber Driver)so and so, how can I help you.

#58 ·

Lastly, give her your number and tell her when to call. Make sure you answer like, This is Uber partner ( or This is Uber Driver)so and so, how can I help you.
You do NOT want to get smart, surly or sassy with a probation officer.
They are in charge, they are usually nice people but they can quickly ruin your day.

First off most PO's are simply verifying employment and in so doing they respect your right to privacy, they have no other reason to call, they are not there to rat you out. While it is possible that Uber may find out what this is about, it's just as possible they won't be any the wiser... And just in case, why haven't you asked the PO the reason for the phone number request?

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks to all of you for your advice, I am confident that I understand enough now to make an informed decision. I understand you're not lawyers or legal professionals (obviously) but I was just trying to ask other Uber people in the community to see what you would ultimately do in my position.

It still blows my mind how many catch-22s you get setup for in any such program. They want you to have a job but then go out of their way to make you and your employer uncomfortable enough to risk you losing yours. I guess if you're not working as a dishwasher for minimum wage at some hole in the wall with your boss having full knowledge of your legal history, they feel as though anything else would be too good for you.

It's a shame this happens to people all the time, and while I'm not completely innocent, I imagine there are a ton of people who had their lives ruined because a friend or acquaintance dropped their weed stash in the crack of the passenger seat.

Or you could be like me, just a guy who had a 2 year old prescription for klonopin sitting in his medicine cabinet that he didn't need anymore. That is, until your mother who was riddled with cancer for 10 years passes away and you find that half your prescribed daily dose from before helped ease the grief a little. You know it's addictive, and you decide to only use it for a week and not see the doctor for a refill. Two days later while visiting your dad, you get in an argument with him because he doesn't see how forcing an old woman with cancer to board a plane for an 8 hour trip she neither had the strength nor the will to undertake, against the advice of both hospice and her oncologist, might have ultimately accelerated her death. Next thing you know, your dad pins you up against a wall and you push him out of the way to escape. The next day you visit him again to take the high road with an apology, and shortly after entering the house the police arrive and you're in cuffs for domestic battery. They search your pockets and find your daily 2 pill dose of klonopin. I say nothing, and of course the battery charge gets dropped even quicker than my remorseful father could ask for it to be dropped himself. Meanwhile, you're left with a felony drug charge for a medicine you used to take but stopped going to the doctor for because you didn't need it anymore. I had no prior record of any kind.

I was advised by my attorney that because the prescription is more than 6 months old, it would be inadvisable to take it to trial, and was left with either accepting probation with adjudication withheld (with the option to seal and expunge), or, a 12 month drug court program with daily urine drops, mandated 4 times a week 12-step program attendance and mandated 3 times a week group attendance. I've been in the program for 3 months, passed all the urine tests and kept up with the objectives. That's when the officer called asking me for "Uber's number" because "they need to know about this."

-Glitch

#20 ·
Thanks to all of you for your advice, I am confident that I understand enough now to make an informed decision. I understand you're not lawyers or legal professionals (obviously) but I was just trying to ask other Uber people in the community to see what you would ultimately do in my position.

It still blows my mind how many catch-22s you get setup for in any such program. They want you to have a job but then go out of their way to make you and your employer uncomfortable enough to risk you losing yours. I guess if you're not working as a dishwasher for minimum wage at some hole in the wall with your boss having full knowledge of your legal history, they feel as though anything else would be too good for you.

It's a shame this happens to people all the time, and while I'm not completely innocent, I imagine there are a ton of people who had their lives ruined because a friend or acquaintance dropped their weed stash in the crack of the passenger seat.

Or you could be like me, just a guy who had a 2 year old prescription for klonopin sitting in his medicine cabinet that he didn't need anymore. That is, until your mother who was riddled with cancer for 10 years passes away and you find that half your prescribed daily dose from before helped ease the grief a little. You know it's addictive, and you decide to only use it for a week and not see the doctor for a refill. Two days later while visiting your dad, you get in an argument with him because he doesn't see how forcing an old woman with cancer to board a plane for an 8 hour trip she neither had the strength nor the will to undertake, against the advice of both hospice and her oncologist, might have ultimately accelerated her death. Next thing you know, your dad pins you up against a wall and you push him out of the way to escape. The next day you visit him again to take the high road with an apology, and shortly after entering the house the police arrive and you're in cuffs for domestic battery. Of course, the charge gets dropped, but meanwhile you're left with a felony drug charge for a medicine you used to take but stopped going to the doctor for because you didn't need it anymore.

I was advised by my attorney that because the prescription is more than 6 months old, it would be inadvisable to take it to trial, and was left with either accepting probation with adjudication withheld (with the option to seal and expunge), or, a 12 month drug court program with daily urine drops, mandated 4 times a week 12-step program attendance and mandated 3 times a week group attendance. I've been in the program for 3 months, passed all the urine tests and kept up with the objectives. That's when the officer called asking me for "Uber's number" because "they need to know about this."

-Glitch
This sounds like a plea bargain, which is a Guilty Plea. They'll tell you it's a lesser charge, and it is, but once you're found guilty, anyone with a right and valid interest in it, like an employer or business "partner" (like Uber/Lyft) will also have the right to know the original charge.

You're most likely done with rideshare and many other career possibilities (that you may or may not be interested in or otherwise qualified for, I don't know) if you do this.

It will probably keep you out of jail and/or substantially lower your fines, though.

#26 ·
If the pills were in the Bottle from the pharmacy with the proper legal label on them containing the defendants proper name and Current legal address of residence.

2 pills in the pockets of elderly people out dancing at a club have gotten retirees arrested for heart medication under the same guidelines.
I have SEEN it happen !

Carrying 2 pills in your pants pocket may be easier but it is ILLEGAL IN AMERIKA even if it is prescribed medication !

And
If you ever throw pills away.
Peel the Label off !

Lest some zealous junior assisstant D.A. attempt to prosecute YOU because some Junkie rifling through your trash was arrested with a pill bottle with Your name on it !
He will try to charge you with Distribution of schedule Narcotics and try to slap a Felony Dope Dealer conviction on you to Fatten his Convictions file to further his Political Career.

FLORIDA IS THE INCARCERATION CENTER OF THE UNITED STATES !

Worse than Texas.

Any state with Privatized Corporate For Profit Prisons
Signs a Contract assuring the Prison Operater a steady set number of inmates REGARDLESS of the crime rate statistics !

Its a Rackett.
Your childrens SOULS ARE SOLD TO FINANCE GOVERNMENT DEBT OBLIGATION !

#33 ·
this was a thread in 2011 but I think it still applies (to you) [link redacted due to new member posting restrictions]
I don't know whether I find this comforting or disconcerting, but it was very informative. None of the attorneys I consulted informed me of the option for jury instruction, but I understand now why they advised me not to take it to trial. However, as I understand it, and I really stressed this when I was presented with the options, the drug court program I elected to take is a plea bargain with the stipulation that once the program is completed, my record would be truly expunged and no future employer would be able to see the charge. I was told several times that it was my best option, and an even better one than taking probation with adjudication withheld, which would basically allow the judge to withhold a conviction until after completing the probation, at which point I would not be convicted of any crime and be eligible to have my record sealed. The way I understand it, by electing the drug court option, I wouldn't even have to get my records sealed because it would basically not exist for all intents and purposes (although I'm sure that in the future if I ever find myself in a situation where I'm facing charges my options would be more limited than someone who hasn't been in the system at all, and I am okay with that because I plan on crossing every T and dotting every I from now on).

I'd be devastated to find out that despite my due diligence, seeking counsel and getting reassurances that my record would be clean, I would find this coming back to haunt me in a future career move. I don't plan on running for office, but I think it would be highly unfair that I would never be able to work a decent job again because of something so petty.

#39 ·
You must have Thinking People of Action who believe in Rights ON the jury for that to happen.

They will all be weeded out by the Prosecution.
Pleas will be offered and made to sound enticing.
Trials will be postponed until the desired jury is in place to create the desired verdict.

Prosecutors are all about " the Score"
Keeping Score is all that matters.

There are few individuals who possess less conscious than a Prosecutor for the State.

A " Good" prosecutor is a " special" type of Sociopath.

Sure they deal with the human garbage of society also.
The baby rapers and mother murderers.

It is what they do to normal people to generate revenue . There is where corruption begins on a systemic scale.

#49 ·

HELP!
Tell her to pound salt. Say you have never called uber and you are not even sure if they have a phone number you can call. Tell her you looked online and couldn't find anything...let her look for it.

#50 ·
Sorry to burst your bubble and I hope you do the best in life . Pre trial is done by the state/county/city to save money. Probation is mandated by the court . If you still think your charges will be dropped then you should go to trial and not take the deal. The whole idea of pre trial/probation is you admit your mistake and you are afforded a second chance so you can learn from it.
For this very reason, If I want my family/friends to take a rideshare, I rather have them take lyft(they are shady for money) than uber. Lyft will never allow you on their platform.
I will not explain how I am certain this is not true. Once you have the charges dropped, Lyft is happy to have you.

#51 ·
I'm pretty sure you are in a pre-trial diversion. What your lawyers and the court are telling you is correct. Follow the steps and it is as if it never happened. The police will have a record of contact, but nothing else (may take some time, though). Just make sure that your lawyer gets all the ancillary stuff like mug shot and website info removed.
Ironically, I believe the initial DV arrest will still be public record. :mad:

#52 ·
I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this OP!! That ****ing SUCKS big time.

I feel like I've heard of this kind of thing happening so many times, meanwhile major drug traffickers and serial rapists like HW are floating above the laws, footloose and fancy free....

Your situation is just one example of what is so very wrong with this country.

Good luck with everything, I hope it's all taken care of and there's a positive ending.

#53 ·
Judging by your photo, id be willing to wager youve drank alcohol at some point in your life.

Thats as much of a mind altering drug as anything else available on the black market. Just because you can legally buy it at the grocery store doesnt change its chemical composition or its affects on your brain.

Chances are, OP got busted for some weed. Its a shame that a plant that requires little to no processing to be consumed safely is considered a schedule 1 drug yet Meth is a schedule 2 drug and Alcohol is available at your corner market.

Weve created an expensive war on drugs that has failed and a prison system that is over populated that real criminals are being released to make room.
There is consuming, then there is consuming wisely. There is no sympathy to be found from me. The op knew the risks and decided to take a chance. Hopefully, they learned their lesson.

#54 ·
it doesn't matter how wisely you consume a drug, you are still consuming a drug. To believe that any other drug is somehow more dangerous than your drug is down right pathetically hypocritical, especially since we know how dangerous alcohol is. The only ones righteous enough to say anything of these situations are those that are 100% straight edge, including alcohol and nicotine.

Now that the OP has elaborated more on his situation, it turns out he was prescribed a drug, didn't need the remainder of it but forgot to dispose it. It was discovered somehow and it was 6 months expired. That's the crime he is being charged with; having a prescription drug past it's expiration date.

That's the one of the purest bull crap that is brought to us by the war on drugs.

And idiots like you perpetrate it as if it's somehow saving the country... as we continue down the path of bankruptcy and ruined lives over non-violent made up crimes.

#57 ·

HELP!
What were the particulars about your arrest?

#61 ·
Maybe show her how your logged on 60 hours a week to make $500 with no benefits and have to pay for everything.
Nooooo! She most certainly will think he is on drugs, then.

Okay, all joking aside. If she is asking for the number to Uber, you pretty much have to give it to her...imo. Sounds like she has some power trip going on and can make things tough for you if you don't.

Here's the crazy ironic part. IF she gets ahold of a live person at Uber, Rohit (with deep Indian accent) will deactivate, but probably the wrong driver. Maybe even someone reading this thread, but probably not you.

The amount of Stupid at Uber makes a Probation department look like a well oiled machine.

Is Uber driving a job of employment by Uber or self-employment? If it's self employment, The officer needs to contact the self-employed, not an app. or platform. Who is getting smart, surly or sassy with a probation officer? It's people who think officer can ruin people's day quickly.
This is a good point...OP is his own Employer.

#62 ·
Why don't you ask your lawyer? If you don't have one, you're entitled to one if you can't afford retained counsel. Some of us on the board may or may not be legal practitioners, and we're certainly not going to give you advice regarding your very specific situation. That would be irresponsible among many other things.

#64 · (Edited)
pretty much rail roaded to plead guilty :rolleyes: what police and lawyers do best. A lawyer worth his salt would of free you of charges and got you compensation. Gang bangers get let go on all the time as people said already and they are the ones dealing and wheeling. Not afraid of authority and is not different if you got a strike on ur record it a strike on ur record. Same thing if you win or lose you get the same outcome. Only time I believe in plea deals are when it a speeding ticket or some kind of traffic fines. Not against a drug charge... Unless you were feeling guilty :rolleyes:

If you believe u are right you got to stand up for yourself now it too late and you are finding out choices in life have consequences! Monkey Rakos right. You got pressured by ur lawyers and you got pressured by the system and they were all working against you. Judge and Jury would of thrown the case out if you had a competent lawyer that pleaded on ur behalf in court.

No one going to chuck you in jail for two pills that were prescribed to you but still go no idea why they were in ur pocket :rolleyes: seem like we getting half the information as always. Anyways good luck with everything.

Reactions: Rakos
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.