Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you Uber drivers ever gotten a ride, saw that the destination is in BFE or something that you aren't comfortable with and then told the rider that, sorry, but you just can't do this ride? I know that it is frowned upon or borderline illegal or blah blah whatever. But have any of you ever done it and how did it go?

I popped out of the house yesterday just to do a few rides and my first pickup was from Hyde Park area out to ****ing Just for Fun past Mansfield Dam...for four people. 22 miles there and then nothing coming back at all even though I stopped numerous times near Steiner, etc to try and get something/anything. I thought about telling them no (not the first time this has come up) but it's just not in my nature to be rude or create trouble. Though I am considering it for next time. So all in all it was $20 after gas for two hours and just didn't seem worth it at all.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I take all rides i'm not picky. If I get stuck downtown doing short $3.00, before ubers cut, rides I just turn off the app and move further out. My big question is if the gas for the round trip cost's so much is doing Uber worth it in your position? Wall-Mart at 71-35 on Ben White was $2:01 on Saturday. Might want to be a bit more picky where you fill up.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it is a huge deal or else I wouldn't have posed the question. Do we have the right to decide that we want to stay in a reasonable geographic area or are we slaves to the will of chance? I'd like to think that once every 40-50 rides that maybe I could do what's best for me as a human being and not just as I'm told.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You are an IC Toddal so I would say, yes you have the right. Uber may say otherwise... I don't think it'll be a big issue for Uber unless you start racking up the CANX.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had rides out to Lakeway and Steiner and got pings as soon as I dropped off. Quite a few times I also drove back deadhead. It's always a lottery.

Yes you can Cancel once they get in and tell you the destination.
I realize I can. My original question was whether any of you have done it and how it went.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I realize I can. My original question was whether any of you have done it and how it went.
I've kicked out 2 pax's for different reasons. Ubers never came back at me about them. I don't think Uber will have an issue with you doing this. I'm still a bit flabbergasted about the after Gas being $20 I've done a Kyle-Bhuda to NW of 360 around the lake. That was $60+ dollars after Ubers cut. My gas tank dropped less then 1/4. Though mine is not a gas guzzler neither is it a gas economic car. I did deadhead back to 71 before I got a ping. Maybe I'm just not getting the millage -time-gas usage. Not getting on you just explaining why IMO it is not an issue for me where in your case it may be. Remember always do what's best for you. No need to go bankrupt to please Uber or a pax.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've kicked out 2 pax's for different reasons. Ubers never came back at me about them. I don't think Uber will have an issue with you doing this. I'm still a bit flabbergasted about the after Gas being $20 I've done a Kyle-Bhuda to NW of 360 around the lake. That was $60+ dollars after Ubers cut. My gas tank dropped less then 1/4. Though mine is not a gas guzzler neither is it a gas economic car. I did deadhead back to 71 before I got a ping. Maybe I'm just not getting the millage -time-gas usage. Not getting on you just explaining why IMO it is not an issue for me where in your case it may be. Remember always do what's best for you. No need to go bankrupt to please Uber or a pax.
I was saying that my take home was $20 after approx gas. Which just doesn't seem worth it for getting stranded out there and going up all those crazy hills, etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm still a bit flabbergasted about the after Gas being $20 Maybe I'm just not getting the millage -time-gas usage. Not getting on you just explaining why IMO it is not an issue for me where in your case it may be. Remember always do what's best for you. No need to go bankrupt to please Uber or a pax.
In his case this is a long slow winding road trip that ends up being high time investment, but low mileage, low fare ($27) minus Uber cut and gas, giving you $20 or less net take home pay, for a 40+ minute ride out there and 40 minutes deadhead back. It does suck with no return trip.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Should have gone to Lakeway and just chilled for a bit. I park at the Randall's and haven't ever waited longer than 30 minutes for a ping. Usually going pretty far, too, especially if your not talking late night.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Have any of you Uber drivers ever gotten a ride, saw that the destination is in BFE or something that you aren't comfortable with and then told the rider that, sorry, but you just can't do this ride? I know that it is frowned upon or borderline illegal or blah blah whatever. But have any of you ever done it and how did it go?

I popped out of the house yesterday just to do a few rides and my first pickup was from Hyde Park area out to ****ing Just for Fun past Mansfield Dam...for four people. 22 miles there and then nothing coming back at all even though I stopped numerous times near Steiner, etc to try and get something/anything. I thought about telling them no (not the first time this has come up) but it's just not in my nature to be rude or create trouble. Though I am considering it for next time. So all in all it was $20 after gas for two hours and just didn't seem worth it at all.
Refusing to transport a paying rider, or four, is probably the best way to get a 1 star rating and/or a complaint. A couple of these incidents, you may have some explaining to do. LoL!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yet if one of these guys waited at the airport and got that ride they would say they scored an ultimate long distance trip...lol. Funny how perspective kicks in depending on what side you are trying to view it from.

There is always a potential downside to long trips. Long deadhead back with no pings.
It happens. I've had rides out to Lakeway at 3am....no returns.
Yes, it happens. I take Bee Caves back which seems to improve my odds of getting another fare. But at 3 am......probably not happening.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Yes, it happens. I take Bee Caves back which seems to improve my odds of getting another fare. But at 3 am......probably not happening.
You might be surprised. I had 4 rides in the Westlake area from 2am -3am one night. Bunch of younger adults moving parties from house to house.

·
Registered
933 Posts
In his case this is a long slow winding road trip that ends up being high time investment, but low mileage, low fare ($27) minus Uber cut and gas, giving you $20 or less net take home pay, for a 40+ minute ride out there and 40 minutes deadhead back. It does suck with no return trip.
Ah that makes more sense. I don't drive that area often enough. I have had a few Westlake runs only one deadhead back. Most often I get a ride to the bars at the lake that are there. Sit around for maybe 30min and get a ping from Westlake area to downtown. Only one ride to Westlake at night after bar rush. 30 minute deadhead back home.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If the trip isn't started there is no rating. They could still complain, though.
This is called "gaming the system", but with a twist: in your case you're trying to avoid long trips, but most people try to game the system by refusing short trips. LoL!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I'm not gaming shit. If I choose to not let the pax in my car, for whatever reason I deem fits my fancy, as long as the trip is cancelled, the pax doesn't get to rate me. I actually have about a 94% acceptance rate, and I have only cancelled trips where I can see I won't make it to the pickup point because I am
A. On the highway and I will have to drive 2 miles to the next exit and turn around
B. It's 2:16am and I am east bound at 7th and Trinity and I see the ping came from Brazos and 7th, I ain't rounding the block in that mess.
C. Ping comes from 8500 Spicewood Springs Rd. and I see a particular name of a person whom I do not care to have in my car.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm not gaming shit. If I choose to not let the pax in my car, for whatever reason I deem fits my fancy, as long as the trip is cancelled, the pax doesn't get to rate me. I actually have about a 94% acceptance rate, and I have only cancelled trips where I can see I won't make it to the pickup point because I am
A. On the highway and I will have to drive 2 miles to the next exit and turn around
B. It's 2:16am and I am east bound at 7th and Trinity and I see the ping came from Brazos and 7th, I ain't rounding the block in that mess.
C. Ping comes from 8500 Spicewood Springs Rd. and I see a particular name of a person whom I do not care to have in my car.
It's called "gaming the system" when if you ask what is the customer's destination and then cancel the trip if it's too long or too short. If you do cancel, then you must leave the area or you might get pinged by the same customer again.

As a general rule, stay out of Austin if you're just trying to game the system.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am not trying to avoid long trips....of course we all want those. It's more about the odd destinations like Lake Travis or Round Rock, etc. Or maybe at an inopportune time like if I am just wanting one more ride before hanging it up for the night and then you get something going 15 miles opposite your house. This might only come up in a way that I might want to cancel once a month or so....but I kinda want to think that I can if I really want to. (Also, yes I know I can. Just not sure it's the "right" thing to do.)

Side note - Took a freshman frat boy from campus to buy a nudie magazine today! He needed it for his pledging nonsense and had chosen Adult Megaplex all the way down south. Instead I took him to Dreamers at 38th and 35 and waited while he went to get it. He told me he had cancelled a ride before me because it was a female driver and he felt uncomfortable. ****ing classic!!

·
Banned
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's called "gaming the system" when if you ask what is the customer's destination and then cancel the trip if it's too long or too short. If you do cancel, then you must leave the area or you might get pinged by the same customer again.

As a general rule, stay out of Austin if you're just trying to game the system.
You might want to chill with telling people what to do bro. We're all friends here. Well....mostly. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts