Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
3,033 Posts
Word inside the industry is that the CPVV will be shut down very soon saving the Government 82 million a year, the new un named super transport department will control the taxi / hire car industry.
About time. Most of it can be automated anyways. Just paper shuffling. Needs nothing more than a section head under the new structure and a few dozen wrench monkeys running around doing inspections at Airport nest.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
3,585 Posts
you should read "the hoser files" it was the original expose on the precurser governemt dept to the CPVV..

https://www.smuggled.com/vrb1.htm

https://www.smuggled.com/HFNames.htm
Raymond Hoser (who now has a successful snake handling enterprise) was an odd cat. Working cabs in the early 90s gave me info about his "methods". There were two weird things he'd do - the first was he'd take his dog in the cab. Yep, he'd suit up for a 12 hour shift, take his dog to the changeover and do the shift with his dog in the front passenger footwell. Secondly, he'd milk the multiple fare rule without the first fares permission. So he'd pick up in King St, work out where the first fare is going then ask if anyone else wanted to go in this direction. All while the meter is engaged on fare 1. Now it's pretty enterprising, but from a customer service point of view, pretty poor. He got a lot of complaints about that and the dog. His confrontations with police are well known. I don't really mind that he was a bloke who looked at driving cabs differently than everyone else but I do know that he is a great driver. I saw him do the Eastern freeway on ramp off northbound Hoddle St in the rain in an XF crapbox at about 70ks. He was drifting it merging into the freeway on that last lefthander. Skillful. Eccentric.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Raymond Hoser (who now has a successful snake handling enterprise) was an odd cat. Working cabs in the early 90s gave me info about his "methods". There were two weird things he'd do - the first was he'd take his dog in the cab. Yep, he'd suit up for a 12 hour shift, take his dog to the changeover and do the shift with his dog in the front passenger footwell. Secondly, he'd milk the multiple fare rule without the first fares permission. So he'd pick up in King St, work out where the first fare is going then ask if anyone else wanted to go in this direction. All while the meter is engaged on fare 1. Now it's pretty enterprising, but from a customer service point of view, pretty poor. He got a lot of complaints about that and the dog. His confrontations with police are well known. I don't really mind that he was a bloke who looked at driving cabs differently than everyone else but I do know that he is a great driver. I saw him do the Eastern freeway on ramp off northbound Hoddle St in the rain in an XF crapbox at about 70ks. He was drifting it merging into the freeway on that last lefthander. Skillful. Eccentric.
And from all accounts a bit of a fruit loop. :confusion::eek:

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
yeah, he wrote in the hoser files how he would regularly head out to the airport at about 730pm when the taxi ranks would be EMPTY and the queue of people long and then multi hire..

regular empty tulla nests at 7-8 pm weekdays, could you imagine??

ah the good old days when the streets were truly paved with gold..

(I actually started in the early 90's recession when those good ol' days were over, you often had to wait up to half an hour that time of day to get a job at tulla, 15 minutes was quick)

and those XFs with taxi issue bald tyres on the back (they always put the two new tyres on the front and move the old balding ones to the back) were great for getting a bit sideways after a touch of rain, most good cabbies could put em sideways and then recover no worries. the diffs aren't the same anymore.

3,585 Posts
yeah, he wrote in the hoser files how he would regularly head out to the airport at about 730pm when the taxi ranks would be EMPTY and the queue of people long and then multi hire..

regular empty tulla nests at 7-8 pm weekdays, could you imagine??

ah the good old days when the streets were truly paved with gold..

(I actually started in the early 90's recession when those good ol' days were over, you often had to wait up to half an hour that time of day to get a job at tulla, 15 minutes was quick)

and those XFs with taxi issue bald tyres on the back (they always put the two new tyres on the front and move the old balding ones to the back) were great for getting a bit sideways after a touch of rain, most good cabbies could put em sideways and then recover no worries. the diffs aren't the same anymore.
I went from an XF 3.3 5 seater without power steering (over 5 turns lock to lock) on retreads, to a fresh ex police EB interceptor on police issue Goodyear Eagles - I 4 wheel drifted that EB at 160ks through the outbound cutting on the downhill right hander coming out the east side of Heathmont on Canterbury Rs. 4am Monday morning. I was mad back then. Now I do 38 in 40 zones. How times have changed...

3,585 Posts

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Noel and Leon Crapper at Silvertop were famous for hanging drivers out to dry during assault hearings where the driver was harmed - it was part of their "not my problem" policy.
I used to hang around with the Gange kids when the Gange brothers owned Astoria and half of Carlton.Ps they were my age. :redface:

3,585 Posts
yeah I made it from russel street to bayswater, via barkers and canterbury roads, in about 15 minutes one early morning.

tulla to the flemington end of the freeway in 7..

pretty much drove the same as you @Kick poor Ant in guts
My best was 21 minutes from Acland St to the Airport - on Friday at 5pm!! I had a hot reporter from A Current Affair in the car and there was a police strike on (TOG drank coffee and read the paper that week) plus there was only a handful of cameras back then. I got a $50 tip for getting get on her 6pm flight. I took King St and cheese cut through the city at between 80 and 100 kph (didn't stop from Park St to Flemington Rd got greens all though there), before hitting North Melbourne then onto the Tulla Fwy for a mad dash to the top deck at Tulla. All done with Germanic efficiency and skill.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
yeah I made it from russel street to bayswater, via barkers and canterbury roads, in about 15 minutes one early morning.

I did Preston to Carlton in about 7 minutes in a hi ace van when I was 18.I was doing over a100 km an hour and also went through every red light as well.

3,585 Posts
Word inside the industry is that the CPVV will be shut down very soon saving the Government 82 million a year, the new un named super transport department will control the taxi / hire car industry.
My greatest party trick was on the old Eastern Fwy. After Bulleen Rs, outbound, there was nowhere for cops to sit and wait, just a deep culvert beside the emergency lane, plus a 5ft concrete wall in the middle that divided the in and outbound sides of the freeway. Painting the picture, 1993 it's warm clear summer - dawn, about 4.50am on a Sunday morning. The outbound freeway is mine. I was going to cancel the speed test if I saw any other traffic but guess what - Zero cars in front or back so I checked out what this ex cop car could do after Bulleen Rd. At 185ks the EBs steering was very heavy, but stable - I kept going. Then I saw a divvy van inbound so rather than panic, I just moved real close to the central dividing wall to hide my taxi number on the wall. I smiled as I sped past the opposite way. They just saw a speeding Black Cab, numbers unreadable. Ha. Changeover was 1 minutes from the end of the freeway (then Doncaster Rd) in a private garage. It's because of that, I knew Id get away with it. I noticed lots of police cars on Doncaster Rd as I commuted home in my private vehicle. Too late guys.....

I always favoured Mont Albert Rd if I wanted to expedite in the wee hours East West or the other way, as it was usually empty, though that Canterbury Rd parabolic curve at the Canterbury 7-11 could be an entertaining challenge. Canterbury Rd always had traffic and cops. Particularly around Surrey Hills. Always had the hard charging morning newspaper delivery trucks - those guys were awesome. Fast and tidy.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.