Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving a passenger from DIA to Boulder the night before last and, sadly, hit a coyote that ran into the highway (E-470).

Just a heads-up, a coyote will f*** up your car.

Tire Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Bummer.

In early January, I backed over a rock after pulling in and out of a driveway to turn around at the end of a dead end street next to Cheesman Park. I thought I just hit the front fender but later figured out that I tore a hole in the oil pan. I lost all of my oil and had to replace my engine. For a $1,000 - my deductible - I replaced an engine with 87k miles with an engine with 11k miles (a new engine was on backorder from Ford, but my car guy found the 11k engine in a local junkyard and had me on the road again in just over a week).

A few weeks ago, I saw a coyote running across Tower Rd., but it was broad daylight. It was broad daylight when I backed over the rock, but the rock was covered with snow.

·
Registered
450 Posts
In my first week or two driving, I had a deer come tearing toward E470 while I was driving a pax to the airport. Ran past me, right at the SUV ahead of me, both SUV and deer jinked, deer kept going, hopped the cable fence in the median and tore off across the other lane. Sucker was FAST. Got me my first 5-star comment:

Font Screenshot Technology Number Brand

·
Registered
344 Posts
I see that it's a rental, how is the insurance going to work? (Feel free to IM)

I'm glad you are ok and drove through it. There are mini van moms that swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid a squirrel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see that it's a rental, how is the insurance going to work? (Feel free to IM)
Honestly, it's been such a smooth experience that I'm now thinking of sticking with the Hertz/ExpressDrive program. I was thinking of buying a minivan and going back to both Uber and Lyft so I could drive XL, but now I'm rethinking that.

Hertz towed the damaged rental yesterday morning and they got me into a replacement yesterday evening. Only missed out on about 24 hours of drive time. I was really impressed with how awesomely both Hertz and Lyft handled it.

I'm glad you are ok and drove through it. There are mini van moms that swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid a squirrel.
True story. I hate to hit any animal, but my first responsibility is the safety of anyone in my car. Much more dangerous to overcompensate and lose control of the vehicle.

Incidentally, the passenger was awesome about it. I got the car to a safe location, then helped her request a new ride. Waited with her until it arrived. She left me a really nice comment and still even tipped $5.

It sucks when situations like this happen, but all things considered, I'm thankful that everything went as well as possible under the circumstances.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Honestly, it's been such a smooth experience that I'm now thinking of sticking with the Hertz/ExpressDrive program. I was thinking of buying a minivan and going back to both Uber and Lyft so I could drive XL, but now I'm rethinking that.

Hertz towed the damaged rental yesterday morning and they got me into a replacement yesterday evening. Only missed out on about 24 hours of drive time. I was really impressed with how awesomely both Hertz and Lyft handled it.

True story. I hate to hit any animal, but my first responsibility is the safety of anyone in my car. Much more dangerous to overcompensate and lose control of the vehicle.

Incidentally, the passenger was awesome about it. I got the car to a safe location, then helped her request a new ride. Waited with her until it arrived. She left me a really nice comment and still even tipped $5.

It sucks when situations like this happen, but all things considered, I'm thankful that everything went as well as possible under the circumstances.
Glad to hear everyone is safe, except the coyote :/. Glad to hear insurance kicked in!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts