Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've become an exclusive night time driver.

I only work Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Thursday I started at 10, Friday at 11, saturday at 12. Tomorrow I'll will not start till 2 am. And from now on I won't start till 2 am on all nights I work.

At 2 am in the downtown core, you get a lot of passengers from the suburbs and rides that require highway driving which are high fares. On top of the fact that it's surging.

My question to you, is can you sign in to the uber app on 2 phones at the same time? While heading to a fare at 1.8, I need to see what it's surging at after I accepted the fare for peace of mind. I need to know that as soon as I accept this fare it didn't just turn to 2.5. I want to be one of the lucky drivers every single night. $100 fares are want I'm hunting for.

Also, I'm considering accepting fares early to see destinations, with the full intent to email uber at the end of my shift to refund all fares I didn't actually do. I had a 2.0 surge end up being a 10 dollar fare before ubers cut. That's simply unacceptable at 2 am when thats when your making your whole damn check.

I've done 1550 fares so if I get a 1 star I just eat it. My rating isn't moving.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Calling is such a hassle even though I have a script that I say and they tell me where they are going every time. The first time I asked someone where they were going they got mad and said thats not how uber works. If I just click start fare and then end fare instantly it couldnt be more then $3 and then I could email uber saying I started the trip early on accident so to not cost the customer extra money I ended it right away. Of course I would be lying but yeah.

If its a good fare and I want to take it. like a 2.5 to missisauga or milton, and i was a minute or two away from the pick up spot, i would just tell the pax that i did start it early, that it was an accident, and ill end the trip early to make up for it. the pax doesnt lose any money and i get a fare of my choice.. potentially

·
Registered
805 Posts
I seriously discourage you from starting trips early to cherry pick. You operate how you want, cherry pick if you must, but by starting the trip and cancelling like that, Uber will deactivate you. They have been doing this a few years now across the globe, they know these simple tricks and what it means. They pride themselves on riders getting reliable rides, and yap incessantly in thier canned responses and videos about the platform operating efficiently.

You are shooting yourself in the foot if you do this.

I say this as a fellow driver who would also like to cherry pick rides out of the downtown to near my house when i want to end my day or night. It's tempting to do. But stick with this script (what script btw?!) you have which gets them to tell you their destination every time.

Also, you can use the rider app to see what the surge currently is after u accept a request on the driver app. Run both at the same time, as the rider app is usually more current on what the surge is at.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Calling is such a hassle even though I have a script that I say and they tell me where they are going every time. The first time I asked someone where they were going they got mad and said thats not how uber works. If I just click start fare and then end fare instantly it couldnt be more then $3 and then I could email uber saying I started the trip early on accident so to not cost the customer extra money I ended it right away. Of course I would be lying but yeah.

If its a good fare and I want to take it. like a 2.5 to missisauga or milton, and i was a minute or two away from the pick up spot, i would just tell the pax that i did start it early, that it was an accident, and ill end the trip early to make up for it. the pax doesnt lose any money and i get a fare of my choice.. potentially
If you are this desperate for cash that you will stray to operate unethically, maybe it's time to get a REAL JOB!!! There are lot's of drivers here that operate within the rules and offer PAXS a better experience than the standard cab, Sounds like you need to call BECK for a job, I think you'll fit in well ...

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I also drive at night at those times. I would thoroughly discourage you from calling pax to find out destination then canceling if you don't like it. Not only is it unethical, you're not really going to make more money like that either. Besides, this is the very thing people complain about with the cabbies! And the pax can actually report you for that.

Personally, I don't care for the long trips out to the boonies at that time of night because I'm going to have to dead-head an empty car back to town. Good luck getting a pax in Markham at 3 in the morning.

Even though the trips downtown are relatively short, as soon as I drop one pax off, I'm getting pinged for another. Each fare might be low but they add up quickly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I understand his frustration had to cancel five surge rides in a row sunday night after the club,gets me so angry idiots that dont answer the phone.Expect you to stop and wait on king or queen while they are still inside the club.While ten cars are blowing there horn behind me.These after the club ******s & ******ttes get the worst service from me,they deserve taxi like service i agree.I dont worry about providing good service to idiots & drunks.Just getting them home i have done my part.But i think what your planning on doing will get you deactivated.No angels in this biz but this is a little to greasy even for a ex cabbie

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it really depends. If i put in $20 of gas in the car, then do 2 fares making $60 gross each fare, i may have had to drive back empty but 60 + 60 =120 then you minus the 20 dollars in gas and then the wear n tear/dead miles... lets say at the end i made $80 thats not bad for like 2 hours driving. Not to mention Ive gotten a 1 hour ride netting $150 once AFTER ubers cut but before my expenses. I'm done driving during the day. I'll literally just drive for a couple hours starting at 2 am and go home and make the same money i would have made working all day. Also no traffic at night. This thread is about working a couple hours and making $100, instead of working all day to get the same result.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, I guess I am just really not that scared about getting deactivated as some of u.. I realize that starting and ending fares if you dont like the destination is pretty ****ed. I've never done it before. But I promise you if you do a lot of ubering your not gonna deactivated over one little thing like that. ur putting way to much money in ubers pocket. I have however used my script to get people to say where they are going. It takes a tiny bit of sales skill but it works like a charm. I used it in brampton mostly to see if people were going in the same direction as me. most of the time they were not and it would have been pointless for me to pick me up. Also I get no feedback from Uber about it. If I cancel on someone and they call me back I just dont answer. They can assume that possibly I didnt want to pick them up and thats why i canceled but they never know for sure. its hard to prove. Thats where the sales skill comes into play, no matter what destination they tell me I always sound excited to pick them up. then after I hang up I cancel after a few moments if I dont want to do it.

I could've potentially been in an emergency like someone called me and i had to do something, they can never truly know why exactly i canceled unless they make contact with you and find out for sure. Then they would have justification to complain

·
Registered
401 Posts
i just ask where are you heading, they tell and me, if its not profitable i tell them i canceling sorry.I see some of the pax i ve canceled later and they dont mind i just tell them it was not profitable to do those sort of trips and advise them to tip if they are going on a 5 dolla run.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
also, I guess I am just really not that scared about getting deactivated as some of u.. I realize that starting and ending fares if you dont like the destination is pretty ****ed. I've never done it before. But I promise you if you do a lot of ubering your not gonna deactivated over one little thing like that. ur putting way to much money in ubers pocket. I have however used my script to get people to say where they are going. It takes a tiny bit of sales skill but it works like a charm. I used it in brampton mostly to see if people were going in the same direction as me. most of the time they were not and it would have been pointless for me to pick me up. Also I get no feedback from Uber about it. If I cancel on someone and they call me back I just dont answer. They can assume that possibly I didnt want to pick them up and thats why i canceled but they never know for sure. its hard to prove. Thats where the sales skill comes into play, no matter what destination they tell me I always sound excited to pick them up. then after I hang up I cancel after a few moments if I dont want to do it.

I could've potentially been in an emergency like someone called me and i had to do something, they can never truly know why exactly i canceled unless they make contact with you and find out for sure. Then they would have justification to complain
To say you are making all this money for Uber and they won't deactivate you is just justifying it. Fact is if they canned your ass tomorrow the customer will still get picked up by the flood of other drivers out there. An unhappy customer is not something Uber wants and will have no problem booting you to the curb for starting trips early and canceling and for calling for a destination.

Also the times you are talking about is their most profitable times right now. They want completed rides not pissed of customers. Dealing with a complaint and reputational risk costs more than the fare you make.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
To say you are making all this money for Uber and they won't deactivate you is just justifying it. Fact is if they canned your ass tomorrow the customer will still get picked up by the flood of other drivers out there. An unhappy customer is not something Uber wants and will have no problem booting you to the curb for starting trips early and canceling and for calling for a destination.

Also the times you are talking about is their most profitable times right now. They want completed rides not pissed of customers. Dealing with a complaint and reputational risk costs more than the fare you make.
I had one of these unhappy customers in my car a couple of nights ago and she did state that she escalated the issue to Uber for investigating. I applauded her for doing that..

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This just proves that you are a complete employee of uber. They have full control over you. If they treated drivers better with added features then we wouldn't be discussing this. We are classed as independent contractors only to save uber money. Employees get benefits. I promise you I will never get deactivated tho. Even though you guys get pissed. And yes actionjax I promise you the money is enough to not get deactivated. I'm talking from personal experience. I've heard stories of drivers with 4.2 ratings still on the platform. This job is honestly not that good and I'm not sorry for thinking of new ways to make money. I don't blame cabbies for their ways. I honestly think if you took anyone and put them in their situation they would do the same thing. If that's the only way they know how to make money at the moment I don't blame anyone for not doing a fare they don't want.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
. I've heard stories of drivers with 4.2 ratings still on the platform.
I had a discussion about this with Ian Black and he told me it's not really the ratings that gets a driver deactivated; It's the legit complaints that the pax send in about the drivers conduct.

The cabbies can get away with it because it's difficult for the pax to know who the cabby is and even if the pax gets the cab's taxi number, enforcement is practically nil.

Not so with Uber.

If the pax complains, Uber can actually see that you accepted the ping, started the trip, called the pax and then cancelled. Unlike the Toronto TLC, they WILL enforce their policy against that behavior.

Whether I'm an employee or not, the reality is that it's Uber's game and they make the rules. If you're unhappy as an Uber driver then maybe you should go on hiatus for a while and find some other way to make money rather than wait for them to deactivate you.

Don't burn bridges behind you because you might actually want to cross them again in the future.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
This just proves that you are a complete employee of uber. They have full control over you. If they treated drivers better with added features then we wouldn't be discussing this. We are classed as independent contractors only to save uber money. Employees get benefits. I promise you I will never get deactivated tho. Even though you guys get pissed. And yes actionjax I promise you the money is enough to not get deactivated. I'm talking from personal experience. I've heard stories of drivers with 4.2 ratings still on the platform. This job is honestly not that good and I'm not sorry for thinking of new ways to make money. I don't blame cabbies for their ways. I honestly think if you took anyone and put them in their situation they would do the same thing. If that's the only way they know how to make money at the moment I don't blame anyone for not doing a fare they don't want.
Good thing we have Uber I guess. Because the ways of a cabbie will change the attitudes of both drivers and riders alike. You can say I'm an employee of Uber, but it won't change the fact that you will get deactivated regardless of ratings if there is enough complaints against you. It's just a matter of time.

But I have a feeling you are just talking at this point. Because I don't think you have the balls to put it into practice. Because deep down you know this could be the reality of it.

An unlike you Uber doesn't control me. I have a job that pays me enough to ditch Uber at anytime. But I like the work and the money is good for the amount of effort I need to do. Maybe you aren't cut out to be an independent contractor, if you want benefits then take an hourly wage somewhere and work for someone who gives these.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do have income outside of uber actually. Enough to pay all expenses. Uber is extra. I just don't drive people around on my way to work like you do. Which honestly is kinda hard to believe since there's no guarantee that you will get someone going in the same direction as you every time.​

The fact is, the only time I have ever started a trip and ended it, was about 3 months ago. Someone came up to my side passenger window who spoke bad English and said "are you the guy? "

I said yeah and started the trip. Then the guy opens up his phone and has uber on it and then says he wants me to open up his car because he thinks I'm a lock smith and somehow thought uber is a lock smith company I don't know.

Then I get a ping from the same name and it turns out that wasn't the guy.

In my humble opinion, as drivers, we are exploited to no end. I got a email from
Uber stating that eventually there will insurance. We all know what we have for insurance now. No one forced me to do this job, true, but the way drivers have been treated really infuriates me. And I think we can agree that uber and it's riders knowingly or unknowingly have exploited it's drivers. I find it ironic though that if someone tries to do the same thing however it's a big no no. It's ok for my employer to break rules but not me. Makes total sense. I still firmly believe that you wouldn't get caught however.

As a driver that use to work 30 hrs a week. I am no longer looking to put that kind of stress on my car for peanuts.

I will be driving the only consistent profitable time 2-4 am. Even though ur best friend uber emails everyone to start at 10. LOL.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I had a discussion about this with Ian Black and he told me it's not really the ratings that gets a driver deactivated.
Wait, what? :eek:

What is the purpose of the driver's rating system then?

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I do have income outside of uber actually. Enough to pay all expenses. Uber is extra. I just don't drive people around on my way to work like you do. Which honestly is kinda hard to believe since there's no guarantee that you will get someone going in the same direction as you every time.​

The fact is, the only time I have ever started a trip and ended it, was about 3 months ago. Someone came up to my side passenger window who spoke bad English and said "are you the guy? "

I said yeah and started the trip. Then the guy opens up his phone and has uber on it and then says he wants me to open up his car because he thinks I'm a lock smith and somehow thought uber is a lock smith company I don't know.

Then I get a ping from the same name and it turns out that wasn't the guy.

In my humble opinion, as drivers, we are exploited to no end. I got a email from
Uber stating that eventually there will insurance. We all know what we have for insurance now. No one forced me to do this job, true, but the way drivers have been treated really infuriates me. And I think we can agree that uber and it's riders knowingly or unknowingly have exploited it's drivers. I find it ironic though that if someone tries to do the same thing however it's a big no no. It's ok for my employer to break rules but not me. Makes total sense. I still firmly believe that you wouldn't get caught however.

As a driver that use to work 30 hrs a week. I am no longer looking to put that kind of stress on my car for peanuts.

I will be driving the only consistent profitable time 2-4 am. Even though ur best friend uber emails everyone to start at 10. LOL.
Explain how you are exploited when Uber is extra income for you?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No tips which is an exploitation to the service industry in general. How someone working a low wage, service job would be rejected tips is sick.
No insurance
Dead kms
essentially trading equity in ur car for cash and not really getting paid
possible tax repercussions if we have to pay hst
Constant threat of deactivation (this one doesnt apply to me anymore, i dont care)
low rates
rude unappreciative pax
constant lies about demand of surge. like its pretty funny now when i get texts from ben saying hey bob, its surging 3x right now and is expected to stay that way for another 5 hours!! and i turn on my phone and its completely dead.
no feature to pick fares that are going in the same direction as you
under threat of taxis trying to report you to ur insurance
possible police harassment

I could go on and on but honestly this forum is a testament and thats a dumb question.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts