Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the email from Uber promoting Country Thunder. It sounds like they're trying to encourage drivers to dead-head out there each night to make pickups.

My first impression is that this is an insane idea. Does anyone who's been driving previous years think it's a good idea? It's an hour from my house assuming no traffic backups. Even for a $60-$80 ride back that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. To Ahwatukee where I live would be about only about $42 in my pocket (considering mileage only, after Uber's cut). 2 hours of driving and maybe 1-2 hours waiting could mean only about $10/hour.

Do a lot of people make the trip to Country Thunder via Uber or Lyft?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I would imagine most people would be camping there. Driving clear out there is of no interest to me unless they're gonna make minimum fares 300% and cross your fingers they're going clear to Phoenix.

You have to figure just to get there you're 60-70 miles in the hole from the get go, on top of 1hr of time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Seems like an odd marketing move for Uber seeing how the pax experience isn't going to be great if they can't find rides. There's a handful of driver's that live in San Tan and Queen Creek, though. Those folks will probably clean up, assuming they're night drivers.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I feel like an "ass", but I'm steering clear of CT... metaphorically speaking.

Reactions: Nickname25

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wonder how this designated pick/drop off point is going to work. Wonder if it will be an Uberly Fantastic Failure like all the other events Goober had designated spots for!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder how this designated pick/drop off point is going to work. Wonder if it will be an Uberly Fantastic Failure like all the other events Goober had designated spots for!
It will be a failure if they don't get drivers out there. There is an "Uber package" that basically gets you two tickets and $100 Uber credit for $225. Given the tix are $75 each ($150) and parking is $30 for the day, it's really only $45 for the $100 credit. A good deal if you live in the southeast valley.

If there's even a 1.5x surge, that credit will be gone long before they get to Mesa and they'll wake up in the morning with a hangover and a huge credit card charge. That will make it a bad experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Uber is basically saying here is $15 a trip because its gonna take you an extra hour to find your PAX.

Also, there is no clarity behind the scenes about how much the promoters are paying Uber corporate to have Uber drivers there so that when the country whisky folks leave the venue they won't be able to sue for being overserved.

I would be wary of PAX puking in your cars.

Also, as Tequila Jake says, those PAX that do the Uber Package will feel entitled so no tip as always.

Wouldn't drive out there do deal with that mess.

by the way, the Car wash at Cobblestone is worth only $4 and the monthly pass is $29.99 so I would let the part timers go after that.

if you read the fine print it is dusty out there so unless you feel like vacumming your car after and need a car wash and want to deal with drunks at a festival all day I would avoid.

Those who do, I hope it surges for you. Rather hit up Old towne.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I agree that it will be a dusty, dirty mess at CT. My experience in the clusterf--k at the Clemson/Alabama game convinced me to not be lured again by goober's bs that it will be a driver's dream. It's probably closer to a driver's nightmare. On the positive side, I'm planning on lots of goobers migrating to CT which should create demand in Scottsdale over this w/e.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The only way I'll end up in CT is if I get a ride going there. Unless you live in the east valley, I don't really see it worth the trek unless you're already in the area.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sure go down to Country Thunder their will be alot of drivers taking those Pax down there for .75 cents a mile. Have fun I will stay here and kill it on Surge only Uber rides.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
In 13 years of driving people around for money here in the valley, I have never been to Country Thunder.

Not worth it for all the reasons stated above.

Stay in town and work your regular spots.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree that it will be a dusty, dirty mess at CT. My experience in the clusterf--k at the Clemson/Alabama game convinced me to not be lured again by goober's bs that it will be a driver's dream. It's probably closer to a driver's nightmare. On the positive side, I'm planning on lots of goobers migrating to CT which should create demand in Scottsdale over this w/e.
Word, bro. I'll probably never go near Univ of Phoenix Stadium again, even in my next life.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm even thinking about The Phoenix Open and how that works for us. Given the fact that a lot of the fares are minimal, the only thing that saves us there is the crazy huge tips we get sometimes.

The only way I would do something like this is if I had someone pre-pay with a predetermined pick-up time.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Last the Phx Open was very good. This year the Uber lot turned into nothing more than a valet service taking people to shopping center malls where they parked their cars because they did not want to walk in from the lots. I went there 3 days and only got 1 good ride out of it. The rest were 5 and 6 dollar valet rides. I quit going to the lot after Friday afternoon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agreed. I'd only go out there if I had a pax requesting to go there from somewhere in PHX or Scottsdale. I don't really see the extra $15 being worth the 80 minute/74 mile drive out there in the first place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't plan on going to Country Thunder unless I get a pax that wants to be dropped off there. However, I'm curious if it will surge down there. Does the surge zone end before it reaches Florence?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts