Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week while on separate trips to EWR (one Lyft the other Uber) I had pax on each trip telling me that on more than one occasion that either the driver didn't match the picture or that the car wasn't the one listed on their app when the vehicle arrived to pick them up. In all the instances described the rideshare driver was foreign born. Has anyone else heard tales such as these?

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
This past week while on separate trips to EWR (one Lyft the other Uber) I had pax on each trip telling me that on more than one occasion that either the driver didn't match the picture or that the car wasn't the one listed on their app when the vehicle arrived to pick them up. In all the instances described the rideshare driver was foreign born. Has anyone else heard tales such as these?
A friend of mine was deactivated from Uber for one reason or another and had his TLC license suspended. Lyft however did not deactivate him I guess because they never found out his TLC license was suspended because he was registered to a uber base.
He continued to work Lyft as normal but with Uber he used a friend's account who had a different kind of car and looks nothing like him. Everytime Uber would do the identity verification he would hold up a picture of his friend and it worked.
He was always afraid he would get caught by TLC agents and avoided airports and train stations. He did this for almost a year and never got caught. Now he's got his TLC license back and those days are behind him.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have never heard this from a PAX. Did the PAX say they took the ride or NO?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've noticed that this has been occurring with greater frequency in Northern NJ. Whenever l take ride-share as a pax, l do the following:

1. Verify that the car make and model matches the description.

2. Verify license plates match up.

3. Verify driver resembles photo.

4. Visually check tread depth of tires. I cannot tell you the sorry state of tires l have witnessed on ride-share cars. My theory is that if the tires are bald, the driver does not have the financial wherewithal to properly maintain the vehicle and other safety issues may be lurking.

If any if the 4 items above fail, it is an automatic cancel. It happens more frequently than one might think.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This has been happening a lot especially amongst certain ethnic communities in NNJ. I have questioned the identities of many of the Lyft drivers especially who pick me up as a passenger. I estimate that at least a third of the drivers in NNJ are driving with a fake identity or license or under the Uber or Lyft ID of someone else. These guys are also not background checked at all which is incredibly dangerous for passenger safety.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never heard this from a PAX. Did the PAX say they took the ride or NO?
Yes and more than once. I told them both, you are crazy if you get in a car that isn't the one that says is coming and/or if you get in a car and the picture doesn't match the driver on your app. Don't get in the car. Period...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Haven't had any pax say anything, but now I understand why they look so closely at the plates and me when I arrive. I'm sure certain drivers and their friends and family keep these cars running around the clock. It has me wondering whether the fake drivers carry a full size photo of the real driver for when Uber does their spot checks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I forgot to switch cars on my profile when picking up a pax.
I explained I have 2 cars and just honestly forgot to switch. She didn't mind.
Funny how a woman will just take the WORD of a complete stranger. SMH :eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, can't be,no way would 1 uber driver, would let another Uber driver,use his car,things like that never happen, Uber would not like it? JMO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts