Uber Drivers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
If you "need" to work in your 80s, you handled your life's finances (and, therefore, your life) poorly IMO. If you "want" to work to remain active, social, etc I'm all for it.

I'd love to have a bleeding heart tell me I'm wrong, and explain how.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
If you "need" to work in your 80s, you handled your life's finances (and, therefore, your life) poorly IMO. If you "want" to work to remain active, social, etc I'm all for it.

I'd love to have a bleeding heart tell me I'm wrong, and explain how.

Easy for you to say...
and you may be right, about how I handled my finances, and therefore my life. But understand no one has asked for your bleeding heart,

What I would be interested in is your advice on what to do now. . . . Not what I should have done then.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Easy for you to say...
and you may be right, about how I handled my finances, and therefore my life. But understand no one has asked for your bleeding heart,

What I would be interested in is your advice on what to do now. . . . Not what I should have done then.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. Keep plugging away. The comment I made, which I think you begrudgingly agreed with, stands.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
I'm sorry you are in this situation. Keep plugging away. The comment I made, which I think you begrudgingly agreed with, stands.
I think you missed my point, or maybe i yours. . . You are the master of the obvious. Do you really think those of us in this position dont know how we got there. Or perhaps you think we can go back in time to do things differently. Your comment is of no use or help to me or anyone else in my position. You come across as a condescending little prick, But I dont know you well enough to be sure

And thats the point...You dont know me either or any of the other old guys on this forum. Does my wife have altzheimers, and have we gutted our savings to pay for her care. .Or did cancer take my daughter and Im caring for my grandkids.... Life happens and you cant prepare for everything

·
Premium Member
11,425 Posts
I think you missed my point, or maybe i yours. . . You are the master of the obvious. Do you really think those of us in this position dont know how we got there. Or perhaps you think we can go back in time to do things differently. Your comment is of no use or help to me or anyone else in my position. You come across as a condescending little prick, But I dont know you well enough to be sure

And thats the point...You dont know me either or any of the other old guys on this forum. Does my wife have altzheimers, and have we gutted our savings to pay for her care. .Or did cancer take my daughter and Im caring for my grandkids.... Life happens and you cant prepare for everything
$$$RIGHT NOW$$
Is the time to eliminate your debt. RIGHT NOW Everyone is hiring and scrambling for employees. Right now is the time to make a positive move forward toward your future.

Companies are hiring bodies. Get involved and hired into an occupation you know and understand.

You might be a VP in 18 months.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

You're very defensive and taking this personally. I'm sorry I got you upset. My comment was presented without judgment. Sometimes facts are facts, despite how close they hit home. I certainly have made many mistakes, the majority of them of my own doing.

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
You're very defensive and taking this personally. I'm sorry I got you upset. My comment was presented without judgment. Sometimes facts are facts, despite how close they hit home. I certainly have made many mistakes, the majority of them of my own doing.

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

My point is that you dont have the facts

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
I don't need them, Sir. The comment stands.
I understand your original comment "If you "need" to work in your 80s, you handled your life's finances (and, therefore, your life) poorly" to say:

If i have a financial need to work into my 80's I must have made some bad decisions. That may be true. But I assure you that every time I made a decision, i made the choice that I thought was best, for me and my family at the time, Looking back I can see what went right and what went wrong. Unfortunately my crystal ball wasnt working at the time

So here is one of the decisions I made that severely impacted my finances

when my daughter was diagnosed with cancer I moved 3000 miles, into her house to help care for her and my grandkids. .. Was that a bad decision? Actually, it wasnt a decision at all. I just did it I would argue that it was right thing to do. It may have cost me financially, but she is still alive 8 years later.

and another:

I worked my way through college at a restaurant. When I got out of school, I was offered a management job with that same company. . I was also offered a state government job, more in line with my college major and my interests Both offered good pay and a good future. I took the government job. Who knew that little Billy Marriott would grow his parents company into the powerhouse it is today?.... Bad decision financially? Sure, but at the time it seemed the right thing to do

I could go on and on. You face a lot of decision points in 75 years. You do the best you can at each one

I said in an earlier post that my point was that you didnt have enough information to come to the conclusion you did. Theres another point. You cant go back

·
Premium Member
15,818 Posts
I said in an earlier post that my point was that you didn't have enough information to come to the conclusion you did.
sometimes, well maybe most of the time here it is pointless to debate the 20 and 30 year olds here who have little concept of family or responsibilities. It can be fun, but it really is pointless. Sometimes the best course is to let them steep in their ignorance and naiveté. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
sometimes, well maybe most of the time here it is pointless to debate the 20 and 30 year olds here who have little concept of family or responsibilities. It can be fun, but it really is pointless. Sometimes the best course is to let them steep in their ignorance and naiveté. (y)
The resident windbag has chimed in. Best that he's ignored as well.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I understand your original comment "If you "need" to work in your 80s, you handled your life's finances (and, therefore, your life) poorly" to say:

If i have a financial need to work into my 80's I must have made some bad decisions. That may be true. But I assure you that every time I made a decision, i made the choice that I thought was best, for me and my family at the time, Looking back I can see what went right and what went wrong. Unfortunately my crystal ball wasnt working at the time

So here is one of the decisions I made that severely impacted my finances

when my daughter was diagnosed with cancer I moved 3000 miles, into her house to help care for her and my grandkids. .. Was that a bad decision? Actually, it wasnt a decision at all. I just did it I would argue that it was right thing to do. It may have cost me financially, but she is still alive 8 years later.

and another:

I worked my way through college at a restaurant. When I got out of school, I was offered a management job with that same company. . I was also offered a state government job, more in line with my college major and my interests Both offered good pay and a good future. I took the government job. Who knew that little Billy Marriott would grow his parents company into the powerhouse it is today?.... Bad decision financially? Sure, but at the time it seemed the right thing to do

I could go on and on. You face a lot of decision points in 75 years. You do the best you can at each one

I said in an earlier post that my point was that you didnt have enough information to come to the conclusion you did. Theres another point. You cant go back
Thanks for the background. This wasn't meant to be a biopsy of your life. Me critiquing your story comes across as "attacking the guy whose daughter has cancer". As you admit, we've all made financially foolish decisions, lived beyond our means, not worked as hard as needed, etc. Isn't that my point? Not sure what we're disagreeing about then.

I hope your daughter's health is better! She'll be in my prayers.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts