Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all you Ants! On this episode of Frank talk with Frank Tupelo I'd like to discuss the correlation between good looks and frequency and quantum of tips. To further explore this topic, I would like to request that you ants give an honest assessment of your looks on a scale of one to ten as well as the frequency of your tips (ie. I receive tips 30% of my trips) and the quantum of your tips (ie. I make about 15% of my fare amounts in tips). I have a feeling that there is a strong correlation between looks and tips. Many studies have proven that attractive folks have better jobs, are paid more, etc. I'm sure my passengers are quite pleased when they open the door and see someone like myself as their driver and I'm honored to be able to put a smile on their face and make their day better.

I feel very blessed by the lord god our savior that he endowed me with good looks and a nice tan complexion. Not only do I have an athletic build, but I have olive skin from the Italian in me. I have a full head of hair, blue eyes, smooth skin, and chiseled facial features. Based on feedback I have received from a very young age, I would rate my looks near a 9.5.

All that said, I would say I receive tips about 20% of the time and my total tips as a percentage of income is probably in about the 15% range.

Again, please be brutally honest with yourself about your looks, or it will skew the results of this poll. We are all anonymous anyways, so there is no need to lie about your looks.

Toodles,

Franky

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Franky, if that's you in your thumbnail, not even close to 9.5. Sorry

Toodles
That is not me. It is Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. However, I would say my looks are somewhat similar. I guess what looks rating would you give Christian Bale?

3 on a good day.
It's ok, I'm good with it.
I really appreciate your honesty with this matter. I don't think many will come on here and admit something like that. If I was a 3, I don't know that I would have the ability to bring myself to admit that in this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I’m old, don’t talk unless I’m spoken to. If I drive at the beach I get tips minimum 70% of the time. People are happy and on long weekends or vacation. If I don’t drive at the beach it’s 20%

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting, it sounds like location is a much better driver for you for increased earnings. This study from the University of Wisconsin economist suggest that attractiveness works well into your 50's

"statistically significant positive correlation between the facial attractiveness of men in their senior year in high school and their labor market earnings when they are in their mid-30s and early-50s."

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/25f5/0d93e27053d45b018461a6058d7611867b29.pdf

Attractive men earn 9 percent more money than unattractive men; attractive women earn 4 percent more money than unattractive women.

"There is a significant penalty for bad looks among men," write the economists whose research yielded these statistics. "Men who are viewed as being below average or homely are penalized" when it comes to wages. Noting that many studies have been done on workplace discrimination against women and ethnic minorities, these scholars undertook "the first study of the economics of discrimination in the labor market against yet another group-the ugly."

Daniel S. Hamermesh and Biddle, Jeff E. (1994): Beauty and the Labor Market. American Economic Review, 84 (5), 1174-1194.

are you trying to create a new synonym for insufferable, or just trolling?
Of course I'm not trolling. This is a serious field of academic study that many researchers have dedicated their lives work towards.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a sad life it must be to dedicate your life to something that matters absolutely 0% in the scheme of the world.. At least Uber drivers actually help people/provide a service, so now I feel better about myself.
Well apparently it does matter because after controlling for other factors, they found that looks helped men earn 9% more. I enjoy being able to serve others as well. I was derided in another post because I admitted that I like to drive because it keeps me humble through my service to others. Oh well, you can't please everyone all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're making my self consciousness worse! I always thought I was a 3 but now I'm starting to think otherwise...:oops:
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. Would you mind providing you tip information so that we can test the null hypothesis? Thank you for your honesty and willingness to share with the community.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. Would you mind providing you tip information so that we can test the null hypothesis? Thank you for your honesty and willingness to share with the community.
I never thought looks had anything to do with tips for the average person, unless, of course, you're a supermodel. Some days I get no tips, other days I'm blessed with generous ones. Doesn't bother me. Maybe I need to put up a sign that reads "If you like my looks and enjoy my service, please leave a tip" and see how it goes lol

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never thought looks had anything to do with tips for the average person, unless, of course, you're a supermodel. Some days I get no tips, other days I'm blessed with generous ones. Doesn't bother me. Maybe I need to put up a sign that reads "If you like my looks and enjoy my service, please leave a tip" and see how it goes lol
I would love to hear how that works out for you! We can really learn from each other if we choose to have constructive conversation. Help each other out really drives me and get my juices flowing!

Why do we need two identical threads started by the same duck? One is enough.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/correlation-between-looks-and-tips.259814/page-2#post-3930956

A merging wuuld be nice?
I wanted one on the main board and one for the Dallas folks to comment on so that I could gather data on my submarket as well.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts