Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am a new driver and it seems to me 80% of passengers aren't interested in conversation. Is this pretty normal? I ask how their day is going, make a generic statement about their pick up or drop off location, ask if their getting air, then leave the rest upto them. I don't make an attempt to keep conversation going. I don't ask any personal questions,(It's a ride, not a date) I normally turn on the radio to some generic hits station and turn it down low enough they can hear it, but it's not in their face. I guess I assumed people would be more talkative. I figure if they want to talk, they will and I will respond to keep conversation going, if not they won't... What's your conversation"routine"?

·
Registered
15,008 Posts
So, I am a new driver and it seems to me 80% of passengers aren't interested in conversation. Is this pretty normal? I ask how their day is going, make a generic statement about their pick up or drop off location, ask if their getting air and comfortable, then leave the rest upto them. I don't make an attempt to keep conversation going. I don't ask any personal questions,(It's a ride, not a date) I normally turn on the radio to some generic hits station and turn it down low enough they can hear it, but it's not in their face. I guess I assumed people would be more talkative. I figure if they want to talk, they will and I will respond to keep conversation going, if not they won't... What's your conversation"routine"?
You're already saying too much. If they want to talk, you'll know it. Let them take the lead.
A normal greet when they come in. Confirm destination. Then maybe a how's it going or how's you're day been?

Dont ask if they're comfortable. If you have air going a comfortable temp, they're fine. To me asking that seems like you're trying too hard.

Aside from that, like I said, if they want to talk, then you can have a conversation with them.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
So, I am a new driver and it seems to me 80% of passengers aren't interested in conversation. Is this pretty normal? I ask how their day is going, make a generic statement about their pick up or drop off location, ask if their getting air and comfortable, then leave the rest upto them. I don't make an attempt to keep conversation going. I don't ask any personal questions,(It's a ride, not a date) I normally turn on the radio to some generic hits station and turn it down low enough they can hear it, but it's not in their face. I guess I assumed people would be more talkative. I figure if they want to talk, they will and I will respond to keep conversation going, if not they won't... What's your conversation"routine"?
What, you trying to replace Dr Phil? Just shut up and do what you are paid to do - Drive!!

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
You're already saying too much. If they want to talk, you'll know it. Let them take the lead.
A normal greet when they come in. Confirm destination. Then maybe a how's it going or how's you're day been?

Dont ask if they're comfortable. If you have air going a comfortable temp, they're fine. To me asking that seems like you're trying too hard.

Aside from that, like I said, if they want to talk, then you can have a conversation with them.
100% spot on Noe. Nox1447. In my experience, I would say most of my pax are interested in conversing. It is extremely apparent when they are not.

I usually start with a simple greeting and may mention the weather or some current event. Other that that, I leave it up to the rider to take the lead. I am in the early stages and am approaching 1,000 rides. I would say hat a very small % (less than 50) have been meaningful conversations. More than 1/2 have been just your run of the mill stuff (greetings, weather, small talk). A small number (100-200) have not engaged in any conversation.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Most people like talking about themselves (I'm included). It's usually pretty obvious when someone does not want to talk. I ask no more than two questions to break the ice, then I do my best to shut up, outside of navigation questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts