Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what is the deal with Uber Pools??...I don't get it!!...Are we supposed to accept them ? I don't really like pools because it divides my attention. I like to focus fully on one ride and then move on to the next one. I have been reading a lot on this forum about pools. Do we get paid less in pools? When I first started driving I did not accept any pool rides and Uber sent me an email that I have not accepted pools and that I should start doing so. Then we used to have an option to decline the second ride in a pool....I never declined it however after that email. And now it automatically adds the second rider without giving us an option to decline it. Further now I get messages congratulating me for accepting all the pool rides. Also is this connected to the weekly guarantees that we have? ....

·
Registered
457 Posts
AVOID POOL if @ all Possible !!!!!! Yes ... your getting paid less & Uber is getting paid much much more !!!! The Driver does not get paid for the second passenger or third if that happens to be the case. The Driver ONLY gets paid the total distance and time @ a reduced crappy rate!!! Uber pockets most of, if not all the flat-fare of the added 2nd / 3rd passenger. This is why Uber is pushing pool so much !!! Massive $$$$ win for them .... Huge pay cut for the Driver. This is also why any smart drivers should NOT except the 2nd or 3rd pings / passengers and should ignore those pings and just take the first passenger to their destination. When the Driver does this Uber is forced to pay the Driver the UberX rate and still give the passenger the lower Flat Rate which is a net LOSS for Uber !!! YES !!! Karma !!!!

However, Uber is catching on to this tactic and is now in some markets ( like yours ) automatically adding the 2nd and 3rd pings / pick-ups to the ride without driver approval!!! This in my opinion is illegal and should be challenged in Court if it continues!!!

So ..... since the above seems to be the case for you, dont except ANY UberPool pings !!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pool is great for racking up total number of rides. But the pay is less than UberX. If your not good a processing information fast you can get into a accident doing Uber Pool. Especially driving in the busy city. Best thing to do is slow down and pull to the side while mapping your next destination.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Good point, milkman. Last week, I picked up an UberPool rider. We were on ramp leading to expressway merge when ping comes for another pool rider! No way can I safely click on that ping nor would I, now that I was entering highway leading to bridge from Philly to Jersey. I disregarded second ping and drove lone rider straight to Jersey. I assume second ping was to take an exit, pick up, return to expressway, and take both to Jersey. Too complicated for my taste.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point, milkman. Last week, I picked up an UberPool rider. We were on ramp leading to expressway merge when ping comes for another pool rider! No way can I safely click on that ping nor would I, now that I was entering highway leading to bridge from Philly to Jersey. I disregarded second ping and drove lone rider straight to Jersey. I assume second ping was to take an exit, pick up, return to expressway, and take both to Jersey. Too complicated for my taste.
So how did you "disregard" the pin?...Doesn't it automatically add the second ping and change the entire route ahead?

·
24,947 Posts
Uber Stool is fine if you want to build up trips toward your quota for this or that level of bonuses/incentives. Other than that, Uber Stool is a pile of trouble for no money. I accepted a few of Uber's Stools this week to build up trips toward raising my level from Bronze to Silver. I do not know about New York, but here, the Heavy Metal Thunder Incentive Programme has no acceptance rates, so we can ignore Uber Stool almost with impunity. Some drivers have complained about being put on "time out" for ignoring three trips in an hour. I have had the thing log me out for letting three Uber Stool pings expire, but it always has let me log right back onto the application.

If the application does have me stand in the Virtual Corner, I will just turn on Lyft for a while. Maybe it will be Prime Time, maybe it will not. I will not accept Lyft Line, either.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just what is the deal with Uber Pools??...I don't get it!!...Are we supposed to accept them ? I don't really like pools because it divides my attention. I like to focus fully on one ride and then move on to the next one. I have been reading a lot on this forum about pools. Do we get paid less in pools? When I first started driving I did not accept any pool rides and Uber sent me an email that I have not accepted pools and that I should start doing so. Then we used to have an option to decline the second ride in a pool....I never declined it however after that email. And now it automatically adds the second rider without giving us an option to decline it. Further now I get messages congratulating me for accepting all the pool rides. Also is this connected to the weekly guarantees that we have? ....
Welcome to the uber sessions of getting fooled it's a real screw job they give you to keep going don't feel bad many of us are getting the same shade pitched at us .

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This week I got Gold status of 1.4 or 1.6 surge promotion in certain areas. Last week I had platinum status which was 1.7 surge in certain areas. So, is Gold Status less than Platinum??..
I always thought Gold status was higher....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
This week I got Gold status of 1.4 or 1.6 surge promotion in certain areas. Last week I had platinum status which was 1.7 surge in certain areas. So, is Gold Status less than Platinum??..
I always thought Gold status was higher....
Platinum is higher.

·
24,947 Posts
Uber changed the quotas. This may or may not be sneaky. Uber does have to change the nature of the incentives from time-to-time. Otherwise, someone could accuse it of unfair trade practices in that it is cutting fares to a ridiculously low level while it is subsidising its drivers. This is exactly what it is doing, but, as long as it keeps changing things, it can claim that these are "temporary incentives". A plaintiff would be hard put to call this "subsidising" under a technical definition. It could be done, but it would be difficult. Decidedly, you would need a top-flight, high calibre, high-powered lawyer to pull off such a thing.

·
24,947 Posts
They should have sent an e-Mail to you about the payoffs and the ride quotas. Are you on hourly or per-centages?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They sent the email...it just said that I am gold this week with 1.4 to 1.6 surge guarantees this week.

·
24,947 Posts
Does Uber guarantee you an hourly minimum or do they boost your fare receipts by a certain per-centage? It appears that there are two different ways that they are doing the Heavy Metal Thunder Incentive Programme, here. Some drivers have their receipts boosted by a per-centage. The level at which you are determines the per-centage. The higher the level, the higher the per-centage. There are some, here who are on an hourly guarantee. The higher their level, the higher their guarantee is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts