Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK; I have been doing this for five months now and here are my conclusions. Please feel free to respond even if you do not agree but explain why.
I am driving in the Orlando area so some of this stuff will not apply to everyone.

1. There is no point driving between 5pm and 6pm unless there is a surge of more than 1.5. $4.80 an hour to sit in traffic is no bueno.
2. I am learning the signs of pax who will give bad ratings before even picking them up. I cancel the ride and move on.
3. If the pax is too drunk or if someone is putting a drunk in the car under their account I no longer accept them.
4. There are areas I will not pick up pax at night. Hell there are areas I will not pick up pax during the day.
5. Obviously the pax can use nicknames. When the nickname is too much to deal with I cancel the ride. Recent example Gheto and yes ghetto was misspelled.
6. It sucks that there is nowhere to wait for riders at Animal Kingdom etc. Fortunetelling has been pretty good there but when I am sitting there for more than five minutes security tells me to move on.
7. Obviously limo companies can sit in the middle of the lobby entrance of some major hotels. I see the drivers chatting it up with the valets there. Even when waiting for a pax the valets tell me to move out of the lobby entrance area.
8. I have no problem stopping along the way as long as the pax is not gone more than five minutes. Have gotten some decent tips waiting and for those pax that do not tip at least two dollars after I waited they get a one star.
9. Everyone is either a five star or a one star. I am pretty even tempered and if the pax wants to play their crappy music, or make crude conversation, etc I do not mind and will give them a five. Attitude, anger that the app is not accurately giving a good place to drop them off, slamming my trunk, slamming my car door, not tipping after waiting for them for five minutes (and by tip I just mean two bucks or more), etc gets a one rating. My hope is that the pax will remember that I gave them a one and when they see my face on the app they cancel and get another driver.
10. I am getting less prone to chasing pax down. If the location is the middle of a field, highway, etc I cancel. If the location is in the middle of a bunch of businesses and not at the one that makes the most sense by the location of the pin I will text them asking what business is closest. No answer? Cancel after five minutes.

Any other suggestions for the list or arguments against what I have listed? I am always open minded.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Everything you listed is very reasonable. Especially if they slam your door. I hate it, sometimes I wanna get out of my car and punch them right in the face. That's an automatic one star for me.
I know a lot of riders don't know that Uber is screwing with our wages, so I'm not mad at the tipping that much. Especially since Uber constantly advertise that drivers are making 20 to 30 dollars per hour. Passengers have the notion that we are doing well for ourselves when in reality we are not.

·
Registered
712 Posts
2. I am learning the signs of pax who will give bad ratings before even picking them up. I cancel the ride and move on.
This is important. If Pax can't wait until they are picked up to be an entitled AH, then cancelling at least saves our rating.

7. Obviously limo companies can sit in the middle of the lobby entrance of some major hotels. I see the drivers chatting it up with the valets there. Even when waiting for a pax the valets tell me to move out of the lobby entrance area.
Some valets are territorial D's, but if you can pull up like you are supposed to be there, and then confidently say to the valet "Picking up for Diane" (or Gheto, or whatever the Pax name), it increases your success rate by like 40%. Some valets even go into the lobby to ask for Diane. If a competent valet knows to do this and bring out the luggage they can often get a tip from the Pax.
Others will just jump on their seldom seen opportunity to assert authority and wave you on.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
OK; I have been doing this for five months now and here are my conclusions. Please feel free to respond even if you do not agree but explain why.
I am driving in the Orlando area so some of this stuff will not apply to everyone.

1. There is no point driving between 5pm and 6pm unless there is a surge of more than 1.5. $4.80 an hour to sit in traffic is no bueno.
3. If the pax is too drunk or if someone is putting a drunk in the car under their account I no longer accept them.
4. There are areas I will not pick up pax at night. Hell there are areas I will not pick up pax during the day.
5. Obviously the pax can use nicknames. When the nickname is too much to deal with I cancel the ride. Recent example Gheto and yes ghetto was misspelled.
6. It sucks that there is nowhere to wait for riders at Animal Kingdom etc. Fortunetelling has been pretty good there but when I am sitting there for more than five minutes security tells me to move on.
8. I have no problem stopping along the way as long as the pax is not gone more than five minutes. Have gotten some decent tips waiting and for those pax that do not tip at least two dollars after I waited they get a one star.
9. Everyone is either a five star or a one star. I am pretty even tempered and if the pax wants to play their crappy music, or make crude conversation, etc I do not mind and will give them a five. Attitude, anger that the app is not accurately giving a good place to drop them off, slamming my trunk, slamming my car door, not tipping after waiting for them for five minutes (and by tip I just mean two bucks or more), etc gets a one rating. My hope is that the pax will remember that I gave them a one and when they see my face on the app they cancel and get another driver.
10. I am getting less prone to chasing pax down. If the location is the middle of a field, highway, etc I cancel. If the location is in the middle of a bunch of businesses and not at the one that makes the most sense by the location of the pin I will text them asking what business is closest. No answer? Cancel after five minutes.

Any other suggestions for the list or arguments against what I have listed? I am always open minded.
I must say, for only doing this for 5 months you have grasped much knowledge in the fare for hire industry. I have many of the same guidelines as you and I've been in this industry for 16 years. One thing I do want to tell you about is the limo privileges. With the valet and concierge it's not so much about the limo as much as the high spending customer that goes in the limo.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
This is important. If Pax can't wait until they are picked up to be an entitled AH, then cancelling at least saves our rating.

Some valets are territorial D's, but if you can pull up like you are supposed to be there, and then confidently say to the valet "Picking up for Diane" (or Gheto, or whatever the Pax name), it increases your success rate by like 40%. Some valets even go into the lobby to ask for Diane. If a competent valet knows to do this and bring out the luggage they can often get a tip from the Pax.
Others will just jump on their seldom seen opportunity to assert authority and wave you on.
Much depends on the hotel and the vehicle you drive. Many upscale hotels really don't want anything but $60k SUV's out front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts