Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Complaining about complainers!

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Amsoil Uber Connect 
#1 · (Edited)
How about that title for HYPOCRISY! But seriously, welcome to the REAL WORLD!

I have only driven about 35 times. And so far, in that time, I have transported a *****, a Stripper, a Drug Dealer, a runaway teen and one guy who threw up all over the side of my Silverado Truck. But I take it all in stride! Why?

Because I worked for Enterprise Rent A Car for a year, and I KNOW what people do to cars that are not theirs. Pay? I made a SALARY of $1,200.00 a MONTH and worked a minimum of 50 hours a week!!! With that, I paid $750 a month in rent for an apartment, with a roommate.

Driving a car takes NO SKILL at all, I drove a pickup truck all over my Uncles farm when I was 12 years old! I have been driving all over the Los Angeles area for 35 years with NO CITATIONS!! My truck cost me fifty cents a mile to drive, including the depreciation, purchase price, repairs, tires, fuel, etc.... And if I make a dollar, that is fifty cents in my pocket. If I drove at 6o MPH for an hour, I make $30.00 But that does not happen, or even close. At most, I make $10 a hour, and more likely $8. I knew ALL of that going in.

Bad passengers, low pay, damage to my vehicle, it is all PART of this gig. So don't be surprised if it works out just like THAT! And Passenger ratings! I think the UBER system needs a LOT of adjusting. I hear they even send drivers with low ratings to a class. I think they should send PASSENGERS with low ratings to class. None of us can control what a passenger does with their ratings. If UBER wants to lose an UberX driver who is driving a nice vehicle, that is their choice! I will just go on my merry way with Uber having one less driver. I do a good job at a very cheap price, which I knew going in, so I am OK with that.

Uber, as with ANY NEW TECHNOLOGY, is going to have some very ROUGH patches. You should have seen Bill Gates First Operating System!!! Heck, I paid $5,000.00 for an IBM PC=XT with a 20 Mb Hard drive and 640K RAM, in 1984. I could have bought a very nice used car for that. BUT, it was NEW technology and I wanted to experience it. Uber is New Technology, merging several different aspects of Cell Phones, GPS, Smart Phone Apps and transportation. It is going to take some time to iron everything out. But don't expect to make a $100,000 a year driving your car. It isn't going to happen!

Are there changes I would like to see Uber make? Absolutely. I bet they get thousands of ideas every day, of which 99% are unworkable, unrealistic and just downright stupid. But the 1% are probably discussed and discussed, and over time, good changes will come. This is a money cow for them and they want to keep it going. So just accept the fact that you will get low pay and some poor/idiotic customers. You should see what tenants do to my rentals!!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Mike makes a great point even after 35 rides. He pays too much for rent too much for utilities too much for his vehicle just like 99% of the people to ***** and complain they don't have enough money and they can't make enough money because he spending too much money.

Could I go for some changes I guess I have too much credit card debt I just made a change for my job to self employment or unemployment whatever you wanna call it and have been able to decrease my credit card debt 25% in 5 weeks.

People make it a point to favor needs to change things up to make it better and no one is admitting except Mike and me maybe another guy who isn't posting on here that they need to make changes in their own lives to improve their quality of life peace of mind and happiness.

Reactions: tb1984
#5 ·
I don't think anyone here expects to make $100k/yr. Some of us would like to be compensated enough for it to be worth our time, and with the $5 minimum fee and riders realizing that's what Uber's best used for(short trips), that's not going to happen.

This is a second job for me and was more of an experiment than it was anything else. I don't need to suck it up and accept it, I'm just not going to do it. I'm not doing this for minimum wage and I'll show them that by voting with my feet.

#11 ·
"Driving a car takes no skill at all". I am so laughing my ass off. Dude!, tell that to the DMV, and insert the race of your choice.

How many people have you seen in accidents cause they didn't
have skills that a racer would have to save themselves from being in one.

There are so many people out their that don't have a clue what's going on around them.

I could go on, but ill just leave it at the.

#14 ·
"Driving a car takes no skill at all". I am so laughing my ass off. Dude!, tell that to the DMV, and insert the race of your choice.
This is such Uber management thinking that anyone with a pulse + car can drive. I have come to the conclusion that Uber management hates to see us make more that they do for something they think anyone can do. They are just not taking into account for everything that comes with being a independent contractor.
Like taxes & health insurance + all the vehicle expenses.

#12 ·
So what is the moral of the OP..?

That he was hired on at a (semi) decent rate, and was blindsided by pay cuts?

Oh, no. It's that he went through the process and was hired at a terrible rate, and is very proud of his financial prowess and long-earned life experience.

A very wise man.

Uber-on, big Mike!

PS: I wasn't 100% positive of your luminosity, but your acceptance of puke sealed the deal.
Perhaps if you're lucky, you'll be able to dabble in feces or blood in future rides.
;)

#13 ·
They don't want to deactivate anyone. They're losing drivers faster than ever. They're running so many promos (refer your friends & get $10 for each referral) (Refer friends to uberX and earn $300 + a chance to win a new car or 19 other cash prizes! ), radio ads (make $500 a day bla bla), & the biggest scam (Flexible leases are now available for Uber partners! )
Really Uber? just raise the dam rates!

#15 ·
Please let me clarify my original Post. Of course everyone has their First Amendment Right to complain. And Uber sure has a lot of issues that could be IMPROVED vastly. I know I have done my share of complaining in my life. But as I have gotten older, I have seen that most of my complaining usually irritated ME more than anyone else. It made me feel more upset. It made me unhappy. Therefore, I am working on complaining LESS for one simple reason, I deserve to be happy and have a fulfilled life.

Therefore, if you want to complain, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT. The glass is half full, half empty or has 4 ounces of liquid in it. Another Police Officer was murdered today and we wonder why?! Because someone was complaining about how someone else treated someone else! It just seems to me that complaining on an internet message board usually does not render any improvements. Can we agree on that? But sending constructive criticism to the parties who we feel are performing "poorly" is a much better way to get positive results (but absolutely no guarantee).

My original post was about those who complained about making so little money. Drivers are going to make minimum wage, and that is it. And when I said driving takes no skill, there is a bare minimum of skill, just like tying your shoe. But how many of us have ever driven from point A to point B and when we got there, we can't even remember the drive, it is so second nature to us. That is what I meant by 'no skill.' It takes skill to walk, to ride a bike, but we would all consider those taking minimal skills.

I wish nothing but happiness for everyone. Life will bring its array of problems, that is for sure! But what is the best way to make life better for ourselves? How can we turn the negatives into positives? For me, I have learned that complaining/whining is not a positive thing. Sure, talking over beers with friends we can ***** and moan, it's just 'bar talk'. But overall, life is pretty darn nice!

#22 ·
Depends on what you call "new." I consider COMPUTERS New Technology. My first car had an eight-track player, so I consider DVD, CD's and MP3's new. The "switch" to deactivate the encryption for GPS was turned on, on May 2, 2000. And apps didn't really start appearing for purchase until 2008. When I studied computers in college, it was punch cards and reel-to-reel computing. So, as I said, the word "new" is relative.

As for first amendment rights, the owner of this site have the right to allow and/or delete whatever content they wish. I was alluding to people have the right to complain via the first amendment, just not on 'private property.'

#24 · (Edited)
And complaining does nothing for the ladies, why? Girls just want to have fun.

I'll give ya credit Mike, at least your trying. There are to many things out their to make us grumpy old men.

I to prefer to step out of the sand box and not live in a sea of should be's.

You want change? Then you will have to create change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.