Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Across all the threads on this board there is a common theme and common complaints. Arguably they are just complaints and themes. When you start to see a trend over time advocacy sometimes needs to occur to cause a change.

I am writing this not to insult or cause a problem so please do not take it as such! What I would like to do is promote thought to possibly find some solution or even middle ground to many of the complaints most rideshare drivers experience. I am going to use comparisons at times to do so.

All rideshare drivers Uber or otherwise are independent contractors or small business owners and need to approach it as such. Even the part timers need to do so otherwise they will get themselves in trouble when calculating taxes and operating costs.

One of the biggest "no's" as a small business is to operate for any period of time through credit. Offers by Uber with fuel cards and leasing should be avoided like the plague. You never turn a large margin being held to debt to those you contract with. Owner operators in the Trucking industry find this out the hard way and this applies with rideshare as well.

All small business owners need to set aside a percentage of all earnings for operation and taxes. The way Uber advertises to recruit new drivers they make it sound like you can just jump in and reap the rewards without understanding the costs and consequences. --> better education to new drivers and small business owners needs to be advocated for. This will ween many new drivers from jumping in and taking fares from those who are veterans and actually run this as a small business.

Tips--> Uber obviously falsely advertises this to the customers. Once again the only way to make a change is to be advocates to make the public more aware that the fare does not include Tips.

Fare rates ----> This is really the big issue that effects the bottom line of any independent contractor operating with Uber and other rideshare company.

One thing I observed is Ubers flooding of the market in regards to independent contractors have driven down the compensation/fares to the contractor. Many in here refer to these contractors as "ants" that is a derogatory term like a Union member referring to a non union member/independent contractors as "Scabs". In all regards we are all "scabs" in the livery/taxi industry in many ways. Instead of referring to these contractors as such a better approach would be to educate and organize.

Educate and organize--> This is something that would change the way that independent contractors are: viewed, treated by Uber and riders, compensation, hassles from the city and such.

I understand most will look at this and say that can't be done, but it can! The only way to invoke change is to be advocates for that change. Sure we can say there are a thousand other people jumping in and waiting to jump in at any given time, and that is very true. But once again if we start to really approach this as a small business and stop ripping on one another and band together as owner operators in the Trucking industry did with OOIDA, we can start to make this industry a little more profitable to the contractors and demand changes to make it a little more harder for companies like Uber to skirt regulations others in this industry have to abide by. This will curtail the way that Uber floods the market with drivers and drives down compensation to the independent operator.

We need to remember Uber is just a brokerage and do not take on the risks or liabilities that we do as small business owners/owner operators independent contractors. Many will disagree with me on this for many reasons, but to operate as such some of the regulations that other business in this industry should apply. Yes that will eliminate many of the part timers and weekend warriors. It also will make Uber return to older rates to draw in a pool of drivers willing go through the process of abiding by some of those regulations such as having a chauffeurs license.

I know that is not a popular thing to say because most folks do not look at this as something like a small business and just a way to make a side hustle as advertised. But the only way to make a change and force a change is to organize and advocate.

On a recent thread it talked about a meeting that drivers were invited to discuss things with representatives from Uber and the common question of that thread was tips. I am not saying to form a Union, but to form something like what other independent operators have such as in the Trucking industry where grievances, pooling together for insurance, and other issues.

What I have gathered is that it may have come to the point that such an organization needs to be formed if there is not one already. These issues are not confined to the Chicago market alone either.

Of course all contractors have the choice not to drive for Uber and they can do so. But for those who choose to do so why not start to look at ways to improve a business model that is not going away anytime soon. The genie is out of the bottle and it is not going away anytime soon.

Contractors deserve to be respected and not punished if they do not want to accept Pool, they deserve to make higher compensation for the risks and hours they put in. The only way for that to happen is to not allow Uber to divide its contractors who actually look at this as a small business, but to find ways and solutions to improve the industry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why is using the Uber fuel card, MasterCard , a bad idea? Please if you can; be specific. FYI I thought it helped me with the accounting of gas and not always having a lot of cash on hand when driving. Oh well , live and learn. Looking forward to your response.

·
Premium Member
64,534 Posts
No not a troll, I have read the threads and noticed the common complaints and themes but have not noticed anyone talking about what can possibly be done..
I said from the beginning that it was to provoke thought.. and that some may not like it.. that's obvious.
It was good
Just so long my EYES bugged out from reading it !
Some people will never read it due to length.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is using the Uber fuel card, MasterCard , a bad idea? Please if you can; be specific. FYI I thought it helped me with the accounting of gas and not always having a lot of cash on hand when driving. Oh well , live and learn. Looking forward to your response.
In a business the margin of profit is always diminished if you are using credit as your working capital. Sure it helps with accounting but you can also do that through proper record keeping and printing out statements on say a debit card if you use one.

I understand sometimes that working capital may not be there and you do get perks and discounts using their card. But as one thread showed Uber is not the most reliable when it comes to deducting and accounting with that card. Owner operators in the Trucking industry found many times using company fuel cards that get deducted from compensation leaves them in a hole on a regular basis. The thread I read on here shows that this same thing can occur.

Remember you are a small business, you can open up an account at a bank as such. You can also apply for a business credit card if you are eligible. Doing so you can track your accounting and still get perks at the pump if that is one of the reasons to do so.

I personally rarely use credit for anything, especially running a business. It is a bad practice overall in the long run and some of the number one reasons small business fails. It is hard to build up the working capital at first and that is understandable, but like holding aside maintenance, taxes, and other operating costs fuel in this industry should be the number one factor and not ignored.. to start out and get running use a card if need be but make sure it is paid off each week, even a percentage of need be, don't wait till the end of the month to make the large lump payments.. number one reason though, it is just one more thing that Uber holds over you.

It was good
Sorry freelance writer as well.. I forget to break things up sometimes.. I have another part to it that I originally did not post

I will break this one up, but I do encourage people to read the first post and comment.. this forum is an organizational tool in of itself..

One thing I have observed is what veterans say. In the early days the compensation was much higher than it is today and that the focus to flood the market with sign on bonuses instead of looking to retain the veteran base is the model that Uber is currently following.

What I mentioned and I am sure it is not welcomed about standards and similar requirements of others in this industry takes a lot of that away from Uber's ability to drive down compensating drivers properly. I understand that it may be unpopular, but it would weed out much of the ability for them to do so and as a small business you have to look at that angle. It is not hard to acquire those licenses either and you can look at it as an operating cost to do so as those who are owner operators in the Trucking industry do.

In one thread there is mention of the harassment by the city due to the voice of the Unions/and taxi operators. In others people quote the figure of 30,000 uber drivers currently operating in the city. Right there is the base to make your voice heard and a base to band together with.

I said I would like to make comparisons as well. Many may say well then drive for a company or corporation. That of course is a choice, but for many they have been through that ringer. Sure the steady pay check is an incentive as well as no overhead, but for others being an independent is what calls them.

Here is a story of just how corporations take just like Uber does. There is a company you see driving around called YRC. It is a trucking company that gobbled up other Union trucking company's and has made it the lowest paying driving job in like size companies. In 2009 it asked for a give back of 15% and a freeze on pension till 2015.. the members were in all rights forced into the deal. Yes they voted and in Chicago they rejected it twice till the international stepped in and forced it on them.
In 2014 they came back and extended it till 2019... each driver, dock worker, office worker, and mechanic to date if they have stayed with the company has given back $93,500 on average in that time frame. Most are stuck and you may ask why not just leave. Well most do not have it in them to do so for various reasons from pension to health and welfare. Even the risk factor of just change.

Independents are a whole different breed and do deserve a voice as well. I used that example of YRC to point out that even they have choices and even they as company drivers get screwed.. the grass most often is brown no matter what side of the fence it may be on. Giving a voice to independents can only come from the independents as independent truck drivers learned back in the 70's. Google OOIDA one time and look up its history. It started in a parking lot at a truck stop and today it is on par and equivalent to the Unions. I would actually say better than the Unions but that is another topic.

All companies be it Uber, YRC know that keeping people divided only benefits themselves. That holds true to all things, but you can see example after example with Uber.. YRC and the Unions did it. They played one another off of one another, driver against driver as well .

·
Registered
989 Posts
LMAO

I read it but I think more than half the world doesn't care.

It was good
Very true man. I'm hoping for a lawsuit against Uber in the future to get back all the money they screwed all the drivers over with and then some.

The huge difference is the old days of trucking and teamsters you made a liveable wage ...Uber is chump change at best ...once you begin driving for uber a downward spiral begins ....uber is good for maybe a few months TOPS and get the hell out!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Uber is the biggest running joke of a pathetic job in human history and comparing it to driving for a unionized trucking company is just plain ******ed ...it helps for a few months in an emergency...
But thats it ..people.. buy a calculator !!!

I think Kris Kringle from this forum said it best
Allah Akkbarrr!!!!
But unfortunately he was vaporized into fairy dust..lol.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Also, your car suffer a lot of wear and tear in the long run and there's no way Uber is going to reimburse us.

This is definitely not a full time job and is not worth it. It's probably good for those of us that want some small change in our pockets or looking to hook up with a 1 niter but that might be the end of one's Uber career if the female is a pigeon

Uber is the biggest running joke of a pathetic job in human history and comparing it to driving for a unionized trucking company is just plain ******ed ...it helps for a few months in an emergency...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The huge difference is the old days of trucking and teamsters you made a liveable wage ...Uber is chump change at best ...once you begin driving for uber a downward spiral begins ....uber is good for maybe a few months TOPS and get the hell out!!!
Driving in trucking has become the same way. Even back then in the old days you had independents, for the most part there was nothing out there till OOIDA to come along to advocate for them.

LMAO

I read it but I think more than half the world doesn't care.

Very true man. I'm hoping for a lawsuit against Uber in the future to get back all the money they screwed all the drivers over with and then some.
Only way to do that is by numbers... they will pick off the individual as they already do

·
Registered
679 Posts
Driving in trucking has become the same way. Even back then in the old days you had independents, for the most part there was nothing out there till OOIDA to come along to advocate for them.
I used to be a p+d driver for Consolidated frtwy and been in trucking since ...there is no comparison,,,trucking still pays 10× more than Uber even if you think drivers were pitted against each other the difference is in the wage and benifits..not even on the same planet let alone the same ballpark

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I think Kris Kringle from this forum said it best
Allah Akkbarrr!!!!
But unfortunately he was vaporized into fairy dust..lol.
Did you read what the Union did to its members? Did they take a cut in that time? Nope but the members paid over $93,000 for the privlage to stay members and drive for the company.

Yes the cars take wear and depreciation. So do the rigs that owner operators own. Believe me the costs are much higher for rigs.. tires alone, oil changes and such. It is a business just as independent operators are for Uber. It's the risk - reward.. margins after the brokers take their cut is not much different then Ubers for those owner operators.

You mentioned ou were around before on some other threads for a while. You may have seen when rates were different, instead of just griping wouldn't you want to work in a positive direction to increase rates now as well as have a voice of advocacy in numbers to deal with all of the problems with Uber?

Some may forget that they are independent operators/small business. In that field no matter what you do in transportation you have many of the same gripes. Even company employees in the field do, just for different reasons. One common denominator is the brokers. Remember that is all that Uber is really.

Sure a short haul doing it may be the best for most and probably the only option due to current climate. But you also need to remember there are those as well that rather be independent operators, but are undereducated in the risks and yes even the rewards of doing so..

Wouldn't you say it would be much more productive as a veteran to not only help educate, but to be an advocate to improve the conditions?

Yes you can compare to the Trucking industry and the teamsters . In days gone by you had to have experience to even be considered to drive for those companies. Today they take them strait out of driving school and are flooding the industry with under qualified drivers.

Those drivers do not know the old ways or sacrifices those who came before them went through or how it at one time set the bar in the industry. That is not the case anylonger the new "kids" will vote however they are told to do so.. say goodby to the old way as a result.

Now it comes back to educating and advocating once again. Only the experienced guys and gals can do that because the company and the Unions will not do so as long as the grand bargain is made that benefits both party's and that is where that industry really sits at the moment.

Back to this topic like I brought up.. only education and advocacy will change it.. numbers divided fall

I used to be a p+d driver for Consolidated frtwy and been in trucking since ...there is no comparison,,,trucking still pays 10× more than Uber even if you think drivers were pitted against each other the difference is in the wage and benifits..not even on the same planet let alone the same ballpark
And Corn flakes folded but you guys seen it coming with Conway going on line. The company found a way around the Union and today they are XPO.. by the way all the Non Union carriers pay $5 more forsake size company's than the Union company's like YRC- Holland...

So you were a former teamster then you should be the one advocating education and organization to make change .. but you are not as I have read. Why?

When you break down the margins independent truck drivers do not make 10x Uber drivers as operating costs double and triple for rig drivers to operate ..

Many people will not peruse getting a CDL and the industry as a whole is no like the old days.. believe me I got the years In it as well both Union and Non.. independent and company..

uber drivers do so for various reasons some because they have to and some because they choose to. But being negative to them instead of helping them does no one any good.

Crazyyown ,

You have said that you walked away from Uber and that is a good thing! No one should remain where they are if it eats at them so much as it did for you.
I get it!
Trust me I do!

The whole point of the thread as with any thread across any board be it this one or any other has ways to stray.

Like with anything else in life you have to accept the good and bad in any situation. Make the best of it you can and move on. For many Uber is that bridge and for others it may be a choice.

You have to admit there is no unified voice and for the most part those jumping in do not understand just what running a small business entails or the implications of doing so.

Would it not be better as a person with whiskers such as yourself, to help those that think and choose to jump in for the various reasons to be able to not find themselves in some cases in a worse situation than they were before they decided to do so?

Would it not be best to help those that think," oh I can make a fast buck", but not understand all the overhead, tax implications, liability with riders, and all the other pitfalls that Uber threw at you?

Complaining just to complain get people no where really. But using those experiences and complaints to help others just may help.

The rideshare platform is not going away anytime soon, use your experience to help others maybe even be an advocate, use those years as a fellow teamster to good use brother, independent truck drivers did in the 70's and it has helped them have a voice.. it sure seems this industry needs one.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Pusher; what you are seeing is kickback because all we see is a lot of words and no real meaning. You seem to advocate for a union under the code words organize and educate (that's what Unions do) yet in other very long-winded breaths you are critical of unions. This is a forum for venting and at the same time picking up some ideas on how to make money in rideshare (but mostly venting)! While I think the concept has merit, organizing requires a leader to help find common ground and actionable steps. Neither of which can be found in this thread.

Uber has successfully fought off efforts to Unionize by the Teamsters in Seattle despite the local law changes that would have allowed it. See link: http://www.thestranger.com/news/201...r-convince-its-drivers-they-dont-need-a-union
Efforts are under way to start a Union in California: http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Uber-Lyft-drivers-push-to-unionize-8266249.php but so far nothing has been done to my knowledge.
How do you overcome that in Chicago?

If you want to be effective, cut the vague ambiguities and present real action steps and attainable benefits. Otherwise, like Windy City politicians, it's just a lot of hot air blowing around.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More of an advocacy organization like what OOIDA is for independents in the Trucking industry Lovetheblues. It may come off as sounding like a Union but really that's not the meaning here.

I was asked to keep it short and probably will exceed the 140 or so characters that others mentioned.

But more in the lines of educating new drivers to what it actually means to be an independent operator. The dangers along with the rewards.

I will include this, the originization I mentioned also allows those who join it the ability to pool together to get insurance. How many owner operators have that ability at reduced costs?

Educating people on the pitfalls of running a business using credit.. I can go on ..

Most do Uber or other platforms for fast cash and a bridge to something different. Others use it to reach a financial goal of some sort, but forget that there are things that have to be taken into account such as holding aside taxes, maintenance costs for vehicles in the moonscape of Chicago. And that list goes on as well.

What is really currently out there to assist drivers in this capacity? For sure not the broker.

I agree this forum is for venting and picking up tips on how to operate more efficiently. Many will look at this forum from the outside and never comment, so this is where the experienced drivers can actually do the most good and help teach the newer drivers.

I said in one of the posts that this forum is and can be used to orginize .

You said what actions: most complain about pool, but continue to accept those requests. If you can get drivers to not do so on a very large scale things will be noticed and can be changed.. as independents how many actually talk to or get together with other drivers outside of this forum to attempt to really change things? Some maybe, better guess very few.

Another thing an association could do is pool together resources for legal issues.

Right now if you run into legal issues you are pretty much on your own. Something like an Uber

Another thing an association could do is pool together resources for legal issues.

Right now if you run into legal issues you are pretty much on your own. Something like an Uber Lyft Independent Rideshare Owner Operator Association could have volunteer workshops to help educate other drivers and to work towards a goal of taking up issues that plague us as small business owners. Other industry's do it even without Unionizing.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do a Google search of OOIDA. It's founding, how and why it was founded.

It is not a Union... We are not employees of the rideshare companies. We are independent operators, that does not mean that those we contract with and the municipality's have free reign over us. You will see if you Google it that it does many things for Owner Operators such as ourselves and offers many services.

Would you not want that same thing for your business?

Just like Chicago/Illinois politics, we all complain but never do anything about it. We vote the same people in year after year with the same old results with no one really willing enough to do the hard thing called change. I guess we just got used to it or we walk away as so many in this state and city have done. Same goes for wanting better for something we all choose to do.

Just Google it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts