Uber Drivers Forum banner

Cold outside and slow too

889 views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Stevie The magic Unicorn 
#1 ·
58 last I checked. WOW, did Disney look slow tonight.

#23 ·
Apparently more than half of Disney employees bring their own lunch because it's cheaper and easier (and they get to drop the "happy crap" and be themselves briefly). Working there is a job like any other job, it's not "magic" nor as nice as working for yourself. But RideShare is below-poverty-level if you're doing it for income instead of a hobby, and rent isn't becoming more affordable when taxes keep going up. Plus this self-employed stuff causes a hit on the taxes and there's going to be a reduction in Social Security payments later on, so retirement is going to suck for some drivers, so having a nine-to-fiver isn't so bad...

#24 · (Edited)
Trust me, many drop the happy crap as soon as they are back stage. But the lunches are pretty cheap, Less than McDonalds for a full meal.

But yes many pack their own because of the difficulty in getting to the cafeteria, but pretty much all the areas had "local" break rooms dedicated to a very small portion of the park.

it could be one large ride or a few small rides and a gift shop sharing one break room. It's down to the point where you know the names of everyone in the break room, sure name tags help but.. you know everyone in the break room.

The break rooms themselves all have a few standard things in them, lockers or cubby holes for personal bags. Some that were farther from the employee restaurants had fridges and microwaves to make up for it.

Then there's another life hack that some use, they carry their uniforms in a backpack because they make better time cutting through the guest areas than sticking to the employee only sections. Depending on the uniform this can be as little as changing your shirt. (usually shirt/pants will give you enough cover to slip through unnoticed.

Compared to uber?

Yeah i'd rather work for Disney if my other revenue streams died up. Universal studios isn't bad either. I used to do ticket sales over there. Their breakrooms standard had microwaves/fridges. The universal employee cafeteria wasn't bad at all. $1.00 bottomless all day Sodas and like $5.00 for a full meal. In terms of quality i'd compare it to what I got in the army while deployed. No complaints but nothing special. Compared to $3.00 (at the time) for a guest getting a soda.. decent prices.

$20 would get me 3 lunches at universal back in the day.

it's been so long (probably 8 years now) since I worked at Universal.

At universal if you visualize the park as the back employee entrance where the big cafeteria is, and City walk at the other end. The big cafeteria worked if you were in the back and they had smaller ones out towards the City Walk end. It wasn't entirely impossible to get a lunch and have time to eat half.

Also they did give more breaks than lunch breaks.

They (both of them have very similar systems) have a system were they are constantly rotating the staff through positions,

Let's say a very small ride has an operator position, a front of line question answerer and a line manager.

That's 4 positions, yes I know it's only 3 but 4 people will staff it. Then every 15 minutes you get bumped to the next position. And if you take too long you get your ass kicked back stage.

This 15 minutes out of every hour is yours to go do whatever. Take a piss, get a drink, uh... check your phone, derp around back stage, People USED to take smoke breaks but the blanket ban ended that.

And once per shift you get your lunch break that's a double long. So reality is that every 15-30 minutes your 4 person squad for lack of a better description cycles through 3 positions, and you end up with like an hour paid break time with half an hour in unpaid break per 8 1/2 hour shift or so.

So you would get at minimum your lunch break, which takes the 4 of you 2 hours to go through and another 5 or so 15 minute paid breaks.

This is the way it works for any position that you can't just bail and go take a piss anytime you need. Anyone with a "self breaking" position has a lot of freedom in scheduling when they go piss.

A medium sized ride would have 2-3 four man squads that rotate through and a few people who don't rotate and self break. (like the ride leads)

A food cart thing will have like 3-4 people with one on break, or it could be 3 people covering 2 water carts ect.

• Love
Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.