Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find that you don't get a ride for a long time and then as you get close to your house suddenly you get one? Is that a strategy on Uber's part to keep you on the road longer?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Does anyone else find that you don't get a ride for a long time and then as you get close to your house suddenly you get one? Is that a strategy on Uber's part to keep you on the road longer?
While Uber has been justifiably accused of manipulating drivers in a variety of ingenious and sneaky ways, I believe it's just coincidence. :D

You should add a poll to the thread so people can vote on this issue of galactic import. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
While Uber has been justifiably accused of manipulating drivers in a variety of ingenious and sneaky ways, I believe it's just coincidence. :D

You should add a poll to the thread so people can vote on this issue of galactic import. ;)
Because of where this is posted I don't think the audience is very big...
For general questions to the whole app the post should be in stories or advice.
City specific posts should go in cities. Maybe he meant this for his city specifically? Though in my opinion it is general. :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Does not happen to me but if I ran uber I would do it. Honestly I would have an absolute blast playing with drivers and trying to see how I can move them around on the map. I might even give them back to back rides and have the uber app bring them on certain streets so that when I see their driving history superimposed on a map it spells out my initials.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the app on twice out of thee days (I'm a brand new driver) when approaching my house. Nothing happened. The other day I got a ping just as a started to drive home, but I was in a parking lot in another part of the city and Uber had no way of knowing yet that I was on my way home. I think your experience is just coincidence.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Tonight I was out 3 hours. Got typical pings in/around city. My last ride took me to Henrietta and it was 30 minutes back to my house in eastern suburb. I even swung through fairport and past nazareth on the way and no pings at all from uber or lyft! I think there are more drivers per rider now than when I started a month ago, frankly. The fact that boost isn't on Thursdays anymore and barely on friday points to the same thing. Tonight I was surprised at 9:00 even penfield had 8 cars on the map.

·
Registered
387 Posts
In general, I have found this week we are in now a bit slower than the past 2 or 3 weeks....maybe nice weather I am not sure

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I was out until 3am and had to turn the apps off to stop the pings from coming in....15 rides from 9pm to 235am....just saying, you gotta create your own luck.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
In general, I have found this week we are in now a bit slower than the past 2 or 3 weeks....maybe nice weather I am not sure
I do see a ton of people walking around the city who, I'm sure, will be less apt to do that when it's 25 outside :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think there are more drivers per rider now than when I started a month ago, frankly. The fact that boost isn't on Thursdays anymore and barely on friday points to the same thing. Tonight I was surprised at 9:00 even penfield had 8 cars on the map.
This is exactly the problem. Everyone is signing up thinking they are going to be able to earn whenever they want like in the commercials when in reality there aren't enough rides to go around and you have to be strategic to make any money. Two things I think will happen that will atleast help a little with this. 1) As time goes on more people will get comfortable using Uber and there will be more rides. 2) Many of the drivers who aren't making anything now who don't figure out when, where, how to drive to make money will give up and either quit or go online a lot less leaving more rides than the rest of us.

These are just the growing pains of a new market it will get better just might take a while. In the meantime those of us with other jobs who are able to figure things out can make a little extra cash. I feel bad for the full timers in this area. That's for to be rough.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
This is exactly the problem. Everyone is signing up thinking they are going to be able to earn whenever they want like in the commercials when in reality there aren't enough rides to go around and you have to be strategic to make any money. Two things I think will happen that will atleast help a little with this. 1) As time goes on more people will get comfortable using Uber and there will be more rides. 2) Many of the drivers who aren't making anything now who don't figure out when, where, how to drive to make money will give up and either quit or go online a lot less leaving more rides than the rest of us.

These are just the growing pains of a new market it will get better just might take a while. In the meantime those of us with other jobs who are able to figure things out can make a little extra cash. I feel bad for the full timers in this area. That's for to be rough.
There are still stories floating around about "making a ton of money" driving Friday or Saturday nights. I bet when this first came out it was possible, but who is grossing $300+ on a Friday or Saturday night now even if they are out from 9-3?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
There are still stories floating around about "making a ton of money" driving Friday or Saturday nights. I bet when this first came out it was possible, but who is grossing $300+ on a Friday or Saturday night now even if they are out from 9-3?
...are we combining both nights together???

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
...are we combining both nights together???
Separate! Neighbor's "buddy" started in July and was able to pull $650 gross one weekend driving the bars from 8pm to 3am fri/sat.

Grossing $40+ an hour for 7 hours in a row (or in this case 14 in a row if you combine both nights) I am going to say is just not possible in Rochester driving uber or lyft (or both). I can't get more than $22/hour consistently, and that's driving fairly busy times, and before all costs. I only ever pull in about $13/hour net of gas + wear and tear when things are good and it's a lot easier to make significantly less. This is driving XL. I am getting tips close to 50% of the time I'd say.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Agree....I am an X, and do $12-15 during the day/week, and $20 on a weekend....of course there are high hourly exceptions, but that is average.
Just tough to do much higher with all the $5-10 shorter rides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.