Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a month to go until the start of music fest season, how many of you are planning to come out an drive for Coachella or Stagecoach?

Are the lower rates and 25% Uber commission for driving out of your market going to keep you away?

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
I have a free place to stay only 10 miles from Coachella Music Festival in Indio and I'm not sure if it is worth it.

I was there two years ago, 2014, and it was a pain in the butt for pickups at the Uber Lot at Coachella but I made money.
Last year, 2015, I skipped and it sounds like it was a pain in the butt for pickups and not worth it for most (only what I read).
This year? If you have to pay for a place to stay, is it really worth it? Guessing not a money maker for most.

Now if your goal is to party as much as possible in the valley and really don't care about getting anywhere near the Polo Grounds/Coachella Music Festival Uber Pick Up Lot, then you might have fun...but not make that much.

Edit:
- Your goal is to party = it's a GO!!!
- Your goal is to make money = STAY in your current market.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Edit:
- Your goal is to party = it's a GO!!!
- Your goal is to make money = STAY in your current market.
I agree with your edit. I try to stay as far away from the pickup lot as possible. I like the drop offs. Later at night while everyone is camped in the lot waiting for pickups I drive RM/PD.

Of course this year with pay cuts it's going to be a different story. Last year with surge in RM/PD I had a few $150+ drop offs to the festival, I don't expect that this year. Add to the lower fares Uber taking 25% of your fare if you're an out of market driver, it might not be worth it to drive in if you have to pay for a place.

The upside is the taxi companies are limited to putting only 200 cabs on the street at any given time. They're actively fighting this because they know they can't win against Uber & Lyft. They did the same NYE and failed. Average wait time on NYE for a cab was 4 hours if you were lucky enough to get on their wait list. Heard from many pax that even after waiting 4 hours they were given an additional 3-4 hour wait after the initial wait time expired.

I have a commitment week 1 so won't be around. Week 2 and Stagecoach I'll be here and driving.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
My dad lives there so I can stay free, u for sure will skip the first weekend because I will be out of town.

I will wait and see how it goes, if it's worth it maybe. I remember hearing somewhere uber was going to run flat rates to and from LA,OC etc. this would be a bonus. Would also be nice if they had select there.

If they control the surge it will be a waste of time, maybe I can find a group of 4 from OC that need a private driver for the weekend

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dad lives there so I can stay free, u for sure will skip the first weekend because I will be out of town.

I will wait and see how it goes, if it's worth it maybe. I remember hearing somewhere uber was going to run flat rates to and from LA,OC etc. this would be a bonus. Would also be nice if they had select there.

If they control the surge it will be a waste of time, maybe I can find a group of 4 from OC that need a private driver for the weekend
I don't think they'll control surge, they're too money hungry. People are already advertising private drives. I bet they offer the flat rates again, be nice to be paid for the drive out.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Appears they added a bunch of hotel shuttles compared to years past.

http://www.valleymusictravel.com/events/coachella-2016/local-hotel-shuttles/

http://www.valleymusictravel.com/events/stagecoach-2016/shuttles/

This could be a sign that we're going to see less Uber demand, look what the tennis shuttles did to week 2 of BNP.

Also interesting to note, unlike the past 2 years, I see no mention of Uber or Lyft on the Coachella site. No mention on Stagecoach either, but I can't remember if they were listed last year.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Appears it's going to be the same crappy drop off routine as last year. Go all the way out to Jackson to cut across Avenue 52 to Monroe and hang a left into the lot.

Why they don't allow us to come in off Monroe from the north and make the lot a right turn only at the entrance and exit is beyond me. It sure would cut down on the line of Uber/Lyft cars waiting to turn left and the backup of drivers exiting the lot trying to make a left on Monroe.

But, what do I know, the traffic experts claim this route causes less congestion.

Product Font Gadget Technology Urban design

·
Premium Member
10,837 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Appears it's going to be the same crappy drop off routine as last year. Go all the way out to Jackson to cut across Avenue 52 to Monroe and hang a left into the lot.

Why they don't allow us to come in off Monroe from the north and make the lot a right turn only at the entrance and exit is beyond me. It sure would cut down on the line of Uber/Lyft cars waiting to turn left and the backup of drivers exiting the lot trying to make a left on Monroe.

But, what do I know, the traffic experts claim this route causes less congestion.

View attachment 32708
That looks sort of baaaaad. I'm worried because even if I stick to the shuttle areas to pick up fares going further, that I will get pinged to the grounds based on my general location. I don't mind dropping off early in the day in that convoluted mess, but I'm DEFINITELY avoiding that area after midnight.
I heard this this morning while driving into work. I lol'd. Where's the landing zone??? Our drop off pick up area too?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks sort of baaaaad. I'm worried because even if I stick to the shuttle areas to pick up fares going further, that I will get pinged to the grounds based on my general location. I don't mind dropping off early in the day in that convoluted mess, but I'm DEFINITELY avoiding that area after midnight.

I heard this this morning while driving into work. I lol'd. Where's the landing zone??? Our drop off pick up area too?
Some spot in Indio and then they SUV into the festival.

Definitely stay away from Coachella after midnight. If you get a drop off after 9pm turn off and head out of there.

·
Registered
39 Posts

That might not be a bad idea, a private drive from your local area to festival. Where to post or find riders, though?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That might not be a bad idea, a private drive from your local area to festival. Where to post or find riders, though?
They should start advertising the Coachella flat rates fares soon. Last year If I remember correctly it was $150 from LA, OC, and SD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
$150, really?? I just saw ad for $400 flat fee/sedan/3 people max from LAX, $700 roundtrip. I'll look up local Craigslist and check listings there. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry, this was not an uber ad, of course.
It wasn't as much as a driver would hope, I'm pretty sure it was only $150.

I live here so I'd like to see the price be at $25 to keep some from coming in for the weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have any info on how new rates will affect driving for Coachella/Stagecoach...? Will Uber have a pick-up station again...?

Will Uber be offering flat rate rides from LA to the desert for the festivals (I think I heard that it was $150 per car one way last year.) If so, how do drivers sign up for this...?

Finally, as a newbie, I drove for about 2 months in the fall, decided it was just not worth it and unsubscribed to the partner newsletter and texts. Now, there's no way to re-subscribe (I can't find a previous text from Uber, which is how to re-activate the text messages). Any suggestions...?

Again, mainly interested in working the festivals. Agree with you that working nights is more profitable than days, but I don't feel comfortable driving much past 10 PM (had a TERRIBLE Halloween night... don't ask :).

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Just set up a Zello channel for the music festivals. Let's work it this year as a unified group.

Download Zello and search for UberMusicFestival - join the channel to share tricks & tips for navigating the streets. Along with give some heads up with problem passengers. Let's use this one all three weekends.

If we work this together we might be able to work smart and make more money this year. Maybe set up some first in first out staging areas around the valley if some are willing help set it up.

Also don't forget to join the UberPS, Uber Palm Springs Area, and Uber Drivers Palm Springs there are a few of us when we're out use these channels frequently to communicate about what's going on where and when.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks as if there might have been some improvements made over last year, the biggest being dedicated Uber lanes. I hope these means not having to drive all the way to Jackson to Ave 52 to cut over to Monroe only to have a make a left into the lot. It should be right in right out.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just set up a Zello channel for the music festivals. Let's work it this year as a unified group.

Download Zello and search for UberMusicFestival - join the channel to share tricks & tips for navigating the streets. Along with give some heads up with problem passengers. Let's use this one all three weekends.

If we work this together we might be able to work smart and make more money this year. Maybe set up some first in first out staging areas around the valley if some are willing help set it up.

Also don't forget to join the UberPS, Uber Palm Springs Area, and Uber Drivers Palm Springs there are a few of us when we're out use these channels frequently to communicate about what's going on where and when.
I'll check it out today when I'm out and about. :)

1 - 20 of 612 Posts