Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm at the partner hours and here's how pickups at Coachella/Stagecoach is going to work.

Lot is going back to 49th and Monroe.

They're going to use a pin system, passengers are going to receive a pin when they request. They will walk up to the first driver in line and that driver will input the pin into the driver app.

There are separate lines for x and XL. Black and SUV same line.

They flat out side this is going eliminate or reduce surge during pickup. Admitted it did when they tested it at Super Bowl this year.

IMG_1703.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Wtf? Did they really just say they have a plan to eliminate surge right to drivers faces? Will we know the surge rate before hand? Or will it be a mystery until you enter the pin and when it's harder to decline the trip?

How can they make drivers get in a line? So no more staging in the lot waiting for surge?

They must not like making money. Hope this becomes a disaster and they go back to the old way. Did you tell them the surge is the only reason drivers bother with these events?
So I'm at the partner hours and here's how pickups at Coachella/Stagecoach is going to work.

Lot is going back to 49th and Monroe.

They're going to use a pin system, passengers are going to receive a pin when they request. They will walk up to the first driver in line and that driver will input the pin into the driver app.

There are separate lines for x and XL. Black and SUV same line.

They flat out side this is going eliminate or reduce surge during pickup. Admitted it did when they tested it at Super Bowl this year.

View attachment 107290

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wtf? Did they really just say they have a plan to eliminate surge right to drivers faces? Will we know the surge rate before hand? Or will it be a mystery until you enter the pin and when it's harder to decline the trip?

How can they make drivers get in a line? So no more staging in the lot waiting for surge?

They must not like making money. Hope this becomes a disaster and they go back to the old way. Did you tell them the surge is the only reason drivers bother with these events?
Won't know if there's surge unless you ask the pax. No real chance to deny the ride as there will be Uber people working the lines, I assume walking pax to the next empty car. It's definitely an FU to their valued partners.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Won't know if there's surge unless you ask the pax. No real chance to deny the ride as there will be Uber people working the lines, I assume walking pax to the next empty car. It's definitely an FU to their valued partners.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the Intel. Where is the good news in all this?
Thanks. Where is the good news in all this?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know. I'd rather have that cattle lot on Arabia if it means being able to view the surge and dodge crap rides.
They're not doing Arabia again because they don't want to put out the money for buses. Regardless of the lot the pin system would be used.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For those drivers who came from austin, sanAntonio, louisiana, dallas, georgia, etc just to drive that superbowl night to make huge money, was it worth it waiting in that 610 traffic for hours at NRG just to get in, and another hour in the line? Just to realize that you had to accept the passenger no matter what their rating is, killing the surge with PINCODE with the boost of 2x. Thats not what you were promised for, was it? I feel bad for you outsiders! You could've made way more than that in your own city. Well, we all learned our lesson last night !
https://uberpeople.net/threads/pincode-system-cab-sytem.139218/

Here is what the drivers from the Super Bowl had to say about it. They didn't seem to like it very much.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Wonder if the lines are for drivers too and not just the pax. I don't want any X customers walking up to my XL vehicle. This may also stop black/SUV from opting down if the x/XL surge gets high enough to beat their own rates.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonder if the lines are for drivers too and not just the pax. I don't want any X customers walking up to my XL vehicle. This may also stop black/SUV from opting down if the x/XL surge gets high enough to beat their own rates.
Black/SUV drivers can't opt down to X/XL - the only way they can is if they still have their X/XL account from before they became TCP.

Hmm the more I think about this the more it seems like it would violate existing PUC regulations. Riders can't flag us down on the street/ we can't accept hailed rides. Isn't this pin concept in essence a hailed ride?

Think about it TNC rides are prearranged, a pax walking up to our car with a pin isn't a prearranged ride, it's them hailing us down.

The line is for drivers just as it states. There will be separate X and XL lines, Black/SUV will be in one combined line.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Black/SUV drivers can't opt down to X/XL - the only way they can is if they still have their X/XL account from before they became TCP.

Hmm the more I think about this the more it seems like it would violate existing PUC regulations. Riders can't flag us down on the street/ we can't accept hailed rides. Isn't this pin concept in essence a hailed ride?

Think about it TNC rides are prearranged, a pax walking up to our car with a pin isn't a prearranged ride, it's them hailing us down.

The line is for drivers just as it states. There will be separate X and XL lines, Black/SUV will be in one combined line.
This definitely smells like some sort of violation of PUC. Just another way to keep surge down.

I meant to ask if there will be a physical line (not just a que) of cars, one for each vehicle class. The Monroe lot seems to small for that, unless they don't allow anyone to stage like before. Separate lines would've worked easier at Arabia.

This could benefit XL drivers such as myself if we're in a separate line and insulated from X passengers. Otherwise you'd be stuck with X requests.

It looks like with the geofence no pings exist and presumably can't see the surge in the driver app, but maybe could still see it from outside the fence.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This definitely smells like some sort of violation of PUC. Just another way to keep surge down.

I meant to ask if there will be a physical line (not just a que) of cars, one for each vehicle class. The Monroe lot seems to small for that, unless they don't allow anyone to stage like before. Separate lines would've worked easier at Arabia.

This could benefit XL drivers such as myself if we're in a separate line and insulated from X passengers. Otherwise you'd be stuck with X requests.

It looks like with the geofence no pings exist and presumably can't see the surge in the driver app, but maybe could still see it from outside the fence.
I don't understand why you're having trouble grasping the lines will be for drivers, there will be separate lines for X and XL, Black/SUV will be one line.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I don't understand why you're having trouble grasping the lines will be for drivers, there will be separate lines for X and XL, Black/SUV will be one line.
I guess because of the way Uber likes to force XL drivers to drive X. If this is true, then this will stop large groups from cramming into an X car caus they can't get XL. About time!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Beur - I am hoping that 2 to 3 hours before the event we should see a decent surge up to the start of the event . The whole wait and pin code seems like something I may want to pass on until the lot starts to rotate . I may choose to look for stragglers outside of the lot itself what are your thoughts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beur - I am hoping that 2 to 3 hours before the event we should see a decent surge up to the start of the event . The whole wait and pin code seems like something I may want to pass on until the lot starts to rotate . I may choose to look for stragglers outside of the lot itself what are your thoughts
As a local and based off the past 2 years I say skip it unless you really are a gambling man.

As I said in another post, maybe it was here, Uber suppressed surge valley wide during the busy pickup times.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It's essentially LAX then. While logistically, this system makes all the sense in the world, it is up to us to not be there waiting in line. I will gladly help out if two things happen:

1) I am on the clock as I wait to be matched with a fare.
2) That fare better be a 2.5x or higher. I need to pay for my dead mileage if I want to return to the venue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My advice is to NOT do any pickups after the event, let all the newbies and people that don't know any better like us take the experiment and see what happens. I will be watching the driver app and customer app for surge info and using my 2x surge app to see what the surge is actually at as opposed to what the driver app is showing and where... The 2x surge app uses the actual customer app to see what rates the surge is at. Hopefully the heat map will show as well how the surge is spreading and when and how fast... Ill use the first night to watch and learn. Drop offs during the day are going to surge throughout no matter what hopefully, but im not gonna be a guinea pig for the first night at the pickup lot. Ill stay away, unless surge is like 9x and its a XL. Im XL only anyways so I can't get any other requests than that now!

Also may be a great night for Lyft as their primetime guidelines have been somewhat modified. It seems to primetime a lot quicker in areas and go up very quick usually every minute theres a update. Also they max primetime is now at 700% last i saw which is 8x surge to you uber folks. Since Lyft doesnt take 28% on the XL/PLus rides like Uber does it may payout a lot better and pickups at the parent pickup/dropoff may be a lot easier as it always has been the last few years since the uber lots treats you like cattle! plus you miss a lot of the traffic on monroe and 48th since the parent spot is on 52 and madison... take a straight shot to jefferson or washington and you are good to go... Im going to try to do Lyft as much as I can unless the demand for Uber XL is so high and surge is so high that I can't leave it

·
Registered
31 Posts
My advice is to NOT do any pickups after the event, let all the newbies and people that don't know any better like us take the experiment and see what happens. I will be watching the driver app and customer app for surge info and using my 2x surge app to see what the surge is actually at as opposed to what the driver app is showing and where... The 2x surge app uses the actual customer app to see what rates the surge is at. Hopefully the heat map will show as well how the surge is spreading and when and how fast... Ill use the first night to watch and learn. Drop offs during the day are going to surge throughout no matter what hopefully, but im not gonna be a guinea pig for the first night at the pickup lot. Ill stay away, unless surge is like 9x and its a XL. Im XL only anyways so I can't get any other requests than that now!

Also may be a great night for Lyft as their primetime guidelines have been somewhat modified. It seems to primetime a lot quicker in areas and go up very quick usually every minute theres a update. Also they max primetime is now at 700% last i saw which is 8x surge to you uber folks. Since Lyft doesnt take 28% on the XL/PLus rides like Uber does it may payout a lot better and pickups at the parent pickup/dropoff may be a lot easier as it always has been the last few years since the uber lots treats you like cattle! plus you miss a lot of the traffic on monroe and 48th since the parent spot is on 52 and madison... take a straight shot to jefferson or washington and you are good to go... Im going to try to do Lyft as much as I can unless the demand for Uber XL is so high and surge is so high that I can't leave it
I wouldn't count on doing Lyft drop offs or pickups at Coachella's Friend/Family lot. Midway through Desert Trip this past October, AEG/Goldenvoice changed their policies (as they are want to do) and barred Lyft from the lot on 52nd & Madison. I verified this with other drivers at the time and wrote about it in more detail in this forum if you want to go back and read the posts.

I've been keeping an eye on the Coachella website to see if they were going to put anything in writing and for quite awhile it basically said "stay tuned." I just looked again and unless you're an Uber, taxi or have an official "VIP Limo Drop-off" you're essentially on your own "near" 49th & Monroe. Even if there is some sort of lot, it means everyone is now traveling to the exact same corner with an even bigger festival and traffic is likely to be even worse than previous years when they allowed the lot on 52nd/Madison to be a catch-all for non-Uber/taxi drop offs/pick ups.

It's not very detailed but you can read what they've written at this link. https://www.coachella.com/guidebook/getting-here/

"This includes limousines, party busses, SUVs, rogue or non-sanctioned shuttles and all other vehicles making multiple trips to pick up and drop off clients. These vehicles will only be permitted to pick up and drop off near the corner of Avenue 49 and Monroe Street. This will be strictly enforced."

While there might be ways to work around this, better to know now to make a plan before you head to the festival and be prepared for the consequences should you be caught violating their policies.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Doesn't say nothing about using the parent drop off for Lyft. That paragraph is for VIP parking area and just indicates you can only use 49 and monroe as a drop off place. Most people drive both Uber and Lyft anyways, so just leave you Uber sticker on and don't put Lyft and you are good to go, or else just go to parent drop off

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're coming out here to drive during the concerts you better to be stopping new requests when you accept a ping or we'll never see a sustained surge.

Stacked pings are Uber's way of keeping surge away.

"As with viewers and binge-watching, many drivers appear to enjoy the forward-dispatch feature (stacked pings), which can increase earnings by keeping them busier. But it can also work against their interests by increasing the number of drivers on the road and DEFUSING FARE SURGES."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

1 - 20 of 28 Posts