Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"area Uber drivers hoping for a boost in their business from the influx of out-of-towners have expressed disappointment in the lack of surge pricing and the glut of fellow drivers on the road, posting their gripes on forums and on social media."

"The long trips that drivers also like because they pay more have been largely absent as well. Many attendees are going to and from hotels close to the convention center. One driver said he’d only managed to get four rides in eight and a half hours."

·
Registered
1 Posts
"area Uber drivers hoping for a boost in their business from the influx of out-of-towners have expressed disappointment in the lack of surge pricing and the glut of fellow drivers on the road, posting their gripes on forums and on social media."

"The long trips that drivers also like because they pay more have been largely absent as well. Many attendees are going to and from hotels close to the convention center. One driver said he'd only managed to get four rides in eight and a half hours."
Plus, I haven't received one single tip from either the delegates or the media!! Was "no tipping " part of the Uber/RNC agreement??!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hamric1 they are awful they don't tip not only that they feel very entitled. I drove during the first debate that was in Cleveland. I worked that night for 8 hours for $60. I drove a couple of reporters to the airport and than after debate the rest of the Republican sponsors not a single tip from this rich [email protected] and extremely rude. So I sat this one out.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It was nice of Uber to sponsor free refreshments for the drivers at the greenlight center. Not so nice that everything was broken down and packed up 10 minutes before the event was to end. Those out driving and hoping to grab something near the end got nothing. I was able to get an iced coffee from the Dunkin Donuts station. They were the only ones left. Thanks Dunkin!

·
Registered
2 Posts

"The long trips that drivers also like because they pay more have been largely absent as well. Many attendees are going to and from hotels close to the convention center. One driver said he'd only managed to get four rides in eight and a half hours."
Absolutely pitiful earnings this week. Uber did great things for us drivers, so thank you for that, but barely any demand or surge pricing... Just a really bad week.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Absolutely pitiful earnings this week. Uber did great things for us drivers, so thank you for that, but barely any demand or surge pricing... Just a really bad week.
It surged every night between 1:30A and 2:30 AM as the concerts at Nautica and Playhouse Sq let out.
That was about it. But it was enough that once we (the local drivers) drivers figured out to avoid the downtown Uber pick-up lot and work the odd busy hours of the convention - and work the suburban hotels, we were able to maintain or exceed our regular weekly averages.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
That kind of driver simply doesn't understand how to devise a driving strategy. If you worked the areas close to the downtown events and hotels, you were far more likely to get short trips from one event/hotel to another. If you worked the areas by the outlying suburban hotels (Bagley Rd - west, Fairlawn - south, Mentor - east) it was easy to get $20+ trips to downtown and the airports). Anyone who sat in the downtown lot or the airport lot in a queue for hours on end doesn't understand how to maximize opportunity.

It was hard work and required some thinking and planning to be able to just keep even with a normal week - but it was possible. Most drivers (thankfully) were like lemmings just following each other and Uber's marketing texts/emails.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I scoped out Uber's downtown parking lot and decided that it wouldn't be worth it so instead I tested my luck elsewhere. Did any drivers here use that lot and if so, how long did you wait for pings?

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
I scoped out Uber's downtown parking lot and decided that it wouldn't be worth it so instead I tested my luck elsewhere. Did any drivers here use that lot and if so, how long did you wait for pings?
I used the lot the first day it opened and got ride requests within minutes each time. After that, the lot was nearly always full - and even if you could get into it (security was waving drivers off to keep circling) it would not have been worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Most of the drivers I know and communicate with here in CLE had a very tough week...
though several of us were able to hit our goal numbers - or even exceed them during the RNC week.
From what I've heard from my friends - and understand from the posts here - it was typically not a good week.
That being said, by driving about 10% more than I usually do (hours) I did 35% (dollars) more than my typical week of driving.
A little luck on a trip or two along with one well-planned pre-arranged ride on FRI with a RNC pax from earlier in the week made all the difference.

(I was told that SELECT drivers did very well - but I didn't drive my SELECT vehicle during the week because I felt it would be too small to meet expectations. I did however drive my XL vehicle and about 20% of my rides were XL)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts