Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, Friday, I went online for a couple hours. There was barely any surge showing in Cleveland or the eastern suburbs on Uber when during the morning snowstorm and extreme cold temperatures. I picked up a woman with Lyft in Wickliffe and she said that the wait for a driver was so long for Uber that she actually downloaded Lyft to get a ride.

Does Uber really think that drivers are going to pick up people with non-surge during a snowstorm? Apparently yes. I went to Euclid where all of the apartments are and where there is a usual very high surge all morning long. Nothing. No surge just the app saying I am in a high demand area. LMAO. So straight from a passengers mouth it is obvious that Uber is not allowing for surge to occur but also making Uber riders wait extremely long times (+30 minutes). I explained to the woman that as an Uber driver I would never consider driving during rush hour in a snowstorm with extreme temperatures without a surge. I showed her the map of which the vast majority of Cleveland at 8am was white except for a couple of spots where it was 1.2 and 1.4.

Uber is going to obviously lose pax due to this but it is what it is. At first I wondered why so many drviers would be out in this weather picking up people for non-surge during morning rush hour so when the Lyft passenger told me the wait was so bad for Uber that she had to download Lyft, I understood.

Uber engineers in California/India may not be in-tune with extreme winter conditions in Cleveland but I sure as heck won't be on the road without a major surge. It is now 8:30am and I am looking at the Cleveland map. there are three spots throughout Cleveland showing surge, at a maximum of 1.4x. So the University Circle area that normally surges during rush hour suddenly has no surge. The Euclid apartment corridor on Lakeshore that is ALWAYS surging above a 2.0 is not showing any surge, etc..

Uber is obviously seeing if drivers are willing to brave the icy roads, blowing/drifting snow, temps well below freezing, for 3.00 rides. Surreal. Lastly, you know that those rides that ARE getting picked up are being charged a princely sum in these weather conditions so Uber is just trying to find ants who are willing to do it at a loss (which is what we drive at when we don't drive surge).

·
Registered
487 Posts
They do give an incentive......surge
Unfortunately last year I was out during a storm and no surge! I probably won't do that again without some sort of inclement weather rates! Slower and more danger, not worth it for regular rates. I'm just saying if Uber/Lyft wants drivers for their customers during those times, then.......

·
Registered
689 Posts
They do give an incentive......surge
What do you know about surge? You only drive Lyft now. And you've told us so many times how great they are. Maybe Lyft will show us where primetime is. There pathetic little blocks have me turning them off every weekend. Uber shows all their surges.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree the blocks are not real informative. But to me I drive don’t chase them anyway.....no one should. Experience you should know where the most likely occur. Saturday I had 5.0 lux. 10 minutes 75.00$

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Perhaps Uber is trying to discourage drivers from going out in the cold but even they’re amazed at how many are still desperate for base fares. More seriously I think they just want to avoid bad PR for surging in a snowstorm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts