Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 Child Seat Laws. Go here (source) and hover over your state to get the details.

Reactions: CityGirl and LadyDi

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just had some bozo with 3 kids under 8; and he said that he didn't have child seats for the trip. Showed him the map and hit cancel. Now just waiting for Uber to pay the pathetic cancel fee. Seriously, they should educate the pax; but they just want to collect the money and shift all the responsibility to the driver

Reactions: LadyDi

·
25,011 Posts
Uber, they just want to collect the money and shift all the responsibility to the driver
For years, the cab companies did this. "The drivers are not our employees, they are here by contract, we are not responsible for them. Around here, most cab companies are little more than glorified leasing companies. As the lawyers assumed that the companies were the "deep pockets", they "made arrangements" with the judges, politicians and regulators to hold the cab companies responsible for the drivers. Too bad for these lawyers that they learned very quickly that the balance sheet of a Colorado Short Line in the 1930s looked better than that of a D.C. cab company in the last quarter of the twentieth century.

As Uber has deep pockets, on paper, at least, the lawyers will be looking to void out Uber's disclaimer, as well.

Reactions: Ziggy

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uber's outsourced Philippines CSR refused to give me a cancellation fee when I cancelled on a pax that had 3 infant children today and no car seats ... stating some "you cancelled less than 5 minutes after you arrived to pickup pax" jibberish. *Hey CSR, it doesn't take the pax more than 30 seconds to tell me that they don't have child seats for their kids ... or did you want me to stay parked in the street blocking traffic for the full 5 minutes to get a measly $3.20 from you. Sheesh ... hopefully one of these CSR idiots will actually tell me in writing that they do not care what federal or Texas law says about child seats. *but looks like I got [F]ubered again. **guess I'm going to have to start calling pax again to ask if they are traveling with kids before I p/u

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
2016 Child Seat Laws (source)
That map is definitely incomplete and on top of that it doesn't mention when you need a booster seat. The best source is your state law, maybe AAA has something listed or ask a cop, just don't mention Super.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just went to my state's page on this and printed it to place in my car for future reference. The page did not address booster seats but it helps to have this much info

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
My understanding is booster seats are based on age, weight and height. There should be a federal guideline for both. It's hard to believe the laws are not the same across the United States, that's for another forum though.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
This is from the federal government the NHTSA, no not the airport security people. This provides the guidelines on which to use, not the laws of each state. If you figure out the law in your market then you can use this so you know what your pax needs before you get screwed in an accident.

http://www.safercar.gov/parents/CarSeats/Car-Seat-Safety.htm

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
I'm not a very good judge of kids' ages. Not too long ago I picked up two women with a couple of young boys. They could have been young-looking 11-y/o's or old-looking 7-y/o's. Are we expected to ask ages and weights and pull out our chart?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'm not a very good judge of kids' ages. Not too long ago I picked up two women with a couple of young boys. They could have been young-looking 11-y/o's or old-looking 7-y/o's. Are we expected to ask ages and weights and pull out our chart?
Yes, after you ask for their name with the doors locked and the window down. Do you have car seats or booster seats, what is their age and weight? Parents know their kids' age and weight, they might not know the law though. You're the one who will be screwed, you're not a taxi company.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went to my state's page on this and printed it to place in my car for future reference. The page did not address booster seats but it helps to have this much info
Actually, the source map shows the booster seat details. Go here (source) and hover over your state to get the details.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to say I was shocked at how low the fines are.
bear in mind, in Texas ... the driver will also get 1-2 points added to the license too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts