Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a situation today where the pax requested to be taken to the daycare centre, collect the child, then return back home. I was thinking maybe the child was school age, but when i arrived and they came back out i reckon the kid was maybe 4 yo. so here is my quandry, i have seen posts on here saying its a NO NO situation, illegal etc. but I thought i had seen something on the Queensland transport website that relates to ridesharing saying its exempt.
I have folled this up at home tonight.. below is the quote from QLD transport and the link. I will get further clarification in regard this in person i think.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/children/exemptions/

"Personalised transport services, such as taxi, limousine and ride-booking services, aren't required to supply child restraints to their customers. However, given enough notice, you may be able to pre-book one of these services with a child restraint. Alternatively you can supply and use your own child restraint."

another link from QLD Transport:

http://personalisedtransport.tmr.qld.gov.au/updates

WEDNESDAY 7 SEPTEMBER 2016

When are personalised transport drivers responsible for ensuring their customers wear seatbelts/are appropriately restrained?

Personalised transport (taxi, limousine and ride-booking) drivers are responsible for ensuring customers are wearing seatbelts/restrained if they are:

• aged between seven (7) and 15 years
  • aged less than seven (7) years, if a suitable child restraint is available.

When are personalised transport drivers not responsible for ensuring their customers wear seatbelts/are appropriately restrained?

Personalised transport (taxi, limousine and ride-booking) drivers are not responsible for ensuring customers are wearing seatbelts/restrained if they are:

• aged 16 years or older (and not wearing their seatbelt)
  • aged less than seven (7) years and no suitable child restraint is available - and the child is not in the front seat (if the vehicle has two or more rows of seats).
Are the rules about wearing seatbelts/being appropriately restrained in personalised transport vehicles new?

No, these rules are not new and were already in place for taxi and limousine drivers. Now that ride-booking services are legal, the rules have been extended to include ride-booking drivers.

Why aren't personalised transport service providers required to provide child restraints for customers who need them?

It is not practical to require personalised transport service providers (taxi, limousine and ride-booking) to supply approved child restraints due to the range and number of child restraints that would need to be carried.

If a customer provides their own child restraint, is the personalised transport driver responsible for ensuring the child is properly restrained?

Yes, if a child restraint is available, the personalised transport driver is responsible for ensuring the child is properly restrained.

·
Registered
92 Posts
had a situation today where the pax requested to be taken to the daycare centre, collect the child, then return back home. I was thinking maybe the child was school age, but when i arrived and they came back out i reckon the kid was maybe 4 yo. so here is my quandry, i have seen posts on here saying its a NO NO situation, illegal etc. but I thought i had seen something on the Queensland transport website that relates to ridesharing saying its exempt.
I have folled this up at home tonight.. below is the quote from QLD transport and the link. I will get further clarification in regard this in person i think.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/children/exemptions/

"Personalised transport services, such as taxi, limousine and ride-booking services, aren't required to supply child restraints to their customers. However, given enough notice, you may be able to pre-book one of these services with a child restraint. Alternatively you can supply and use your own child restraint."

another link from QLD Transport:

http://personalisedtransport.tmr.qld.gov.au/updates

WEDNESDAY 7 SEPTEMBER 2016

When are personalised transport drivers responsible for ensuring their customers wear seatbelts/are appropriately restrained?

Personalised transport (taxi, limousine and ride-booking) drivers are responsible for ensuring customers are wearing seatbelts/restrained if they are:

• aged between seven (7) and 15 years
  • aged less than seven (7) years, if a suitable child restraint is available.

When are personalised transport drivers not responsible for ensuring their customers wear seatbelts/are appropriately restrained?

Personalised transport (taxi, limousine and ride-booking) drivers are not responsible for ensuring customers are wearing seatbelts/restrained if they are:

• aged 16 years or older (and not wearing their seatbelt)
  • aged less than seven (7) years and no suitable child restraint is available - and the child is not in the front seat (if the vehicle has two or more rows of seats).
Are the rules about wearing seatbelts/being appropriately restrained in personalised transport vehicles new?

No, these rules are not new and were already in place for taxi and limousine drivers. Now that ride-booking services are legal, the rules have been extended to include ride-booking drivers.

Why aren't personalised transport service providers required to provide child restraints for customers who need them?

It is not practical to require personalised transport service providers (taxi, limousine and ride-booking) to supply approved child restraints due to the range and number of child restraints that would need to be carried.

If a customer provides their own child restraint, is the personalised transport driver responsible for ensuring the child is properly restrained?

Yes, if a child restraint is available, the personalised transport driver is responsible for ensuring the child is properly restrained.
Very interesting, i have access to seats for younguns ( 2 and 1 year olds, but need to know beforehand and it needs to be either worthwhile or a short emergency trip, because i need to drop them off at home again

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting, i have access to seats for younguns ( 2 and 1 year olds, but need to know beforehand and it needs to be either worthwhile or a short emergency trip, because i need to drop them off at home again
I have booster and a child seat to 4yrs old too. But they would take up alot of boot space. So what happens then if you get an airport trip with lots of luggage?

Rohypnol mints takes care of everything...
Tax deduction?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Response from qld tramaport:
Dear ....

Thank you for your online enquiry of 15 March 2017 about child restraint laws for drivers and passengers of paid passenger services. Your Online Enquiry Contact Confirmation Number (CCN) is EN201703151114103893.

Please find attached a copy of your enquiry.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) advise there is an exemption from having to use a child restraint if travelling in a paid passenger service vehicle, however it is recommended that child restraints should be used where possible.

Parents and carers are encouraged to supply their own child restraint if travelling in a paid passenger vehicle or make prior arrangements with the taxi/Uber company to see if they have a suitable restraints available. If no child restraint is available a child should be restrained, as far as is practicable, in a properly adjusted and fastened adult seatbelt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dear ....

Thank you for your online enquiry of 15 March 2017 about child restraint laws for drivers and passengers of paid passenger services. Your Online Enquiry Contact Confirmation Number (CCN) is EN201703151114103893.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) advise there is an exemption from having to use a child restraint if travelling in a paid passenger service vehicle, however it is recommended that child restraints should be used where possible.

Parents and carers are encouraged to supply their own child restraint if travelling in a paid passenger vehicle or make prior arrangements with the taxi/Uber company to see if they have a suitable restraints available. If no child restraint is available a child should be restrained, as far as is practicable, in a properly adjusted and fastened adult seatbelt.
Well that clears that up

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Dear ....

wow...

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Without commercial grade CTP insurance to cover passenger injury, I wouldn't risk it. An accident with a youngster too small for a standard seat belt and through the window they go.

Even having a child seat onboard is a risk as TMR & Police can inspect to ensure it is installed corrected.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
"Even having a child seat onboard is a risk as TMR & Police can inspect to ensure it is installed corrected."

Even worse...........
I dread to think what would happen to an Uber driver supplying a less than 100% functioning child restraint and an accident occurred.
My advice.. DO NOT SUPPLY A CHILD RESTRAINT.....EVER.....NEVER.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts