Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone has probably heard of Amazon's announcement that they intend to establish a 2d corporate HQ. Chicago is one of the top 3 cities in consideration. The Chicago Tribune compares this to bidding for an Olympic Games. The requirements are just as daunting. Minimum of 8 million sq ft of office space, 50,000 jobs, transportation hub, tax breaks.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...w-headquarters-contenders-20170908-story.html

Not mentioned but is definitely something that will necessary is the housing infrastructure for all those folks. All those high-rises going up all over the city might actually have folks available to fill them. Great suburbs for families within commuting distance----commute times are a problem

Most of the jobs will require a highly educated work force.We have world-class universities right in the city for recruiting an educated workforcce-----Northwestern, U of Chicago, Depaul, Loyola, and UIC. Top notch MBA programs. Plus Chicago is a magnet for the other nationally ranked schools in the regions (Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Iowa).

No other city has transportation hub infrastructure that Chicago has----air, rail and hi-ways. Traffic is a problem but please don't tell me LA or any other contending city has it any better.

And most importantly, a city political culture that is willing to sell it's soul to the devil to make it happen.

What does this mean for Uber/Lyft? Just think what and additional 50,000 well-paid riders would mean to us in terms of riding needs. How many more folks going to work, entertainment hot spots and ORD/Midway runs. Could be a good thing but with some unanticipated negative consequences as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Everyone has probably heard of Amazon's announcement that they intend to establish a 2d corporate HQ. Chicago is one of the top 3 cities in consideration. The Chicago Tribune compares this to bidding for an Olympic Games. The requirements are just as daunting. Minimum of 8 million sq ft of office space, 50,000 jobs, transportation hub, tax breaks,----most of them will require a highly educated work force.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...w-headquarters-contenders-20170908-story.html

Not mentioned but is definitely something that will necessary is the housing infrastructure for all those folks. All those high-rises going up all over the city might actually have folks available to fill them. Great suburbs for families within commuting distance----commute times are a problem

We have world-class universities right in the city for recruiting an educated workforcce-----Northwestern, U of Chicago, Depaul, Loyola, and UIC. Top notch MBA programs. Plus Chicago is a magnet for the other nationally ranked schools in the regions (Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Iowa).

No other city has transportation hub infrastructure that Chicago has----air, rail and hi-ways. Traffic is a problem but please don't tell me LA or any other contending city has it any better.

And most importantly, a city political culture that is willing to sell it's soul to the devil to make it happen.

What does this mean for Uber/Lyft? Just think what and additional 50,000 well-paid riders would mean to the city in terms of riding needs.
I can just see Uber/Lyft finding a way to overcharge those potential new riders and the drivers will get nothing..

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Everyone has probably heard of Amazon's announcement that they intend to establish a 2d corporate HQ. Chicago is one of the top 3 cities in consideration. ...
Chicago has it ALL - that's why I live here. If people realized that the weather is not any worse than anywhere in the north (except Minneapolis, which is way worse), this place would be much more of a destination than it already is. That's why I get annoyed when people from elsewhere talk about "that wind tho"... dude, it's not called the Windy City because of atmospheric conditions, at least not in the physical sense.... yes, you have a huge lake, but it's not as if we're out here on the Great Plains and there are tractor trailers blowing over on the highway...

Reactions: Maddhouse

·
Registered
413 Posts
Chicago has it ALL - that's why I live here. If people realized that the weather is not any worse than anywhere in the north (except Minneapolis, which is way worse), this place would be much more of a destination than it already is. That's why I get annoyed when people from elsewhere talk about "that wind tho"... dude, it's not called the Windy City because of atmospheric conditions, at least not in the physical sense.... yes, you have a huge lake, but it's not as if we're out here on the Great Plains and there are tractor trailers blowing over on the highway...
Native Chicagoans know that it's called the "Windy City" because all of the hot air that blows out of the mouths of Chicago politicians.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Let's just hope that Chicago isn't as stupid as Wisconsin. Let's see how long it takes for Wisconsin to get its $5,ooo,ooo, ooo (that's BILLION) back. They're giving away a lot of bucks to FoxComm for a promise. I thought the private sector was supposed to be private.. Oh wait, now I get it. Don't burden us with any public accountability but bribe us to operate in your jurisdiction. What a country! (Sorry, Yakov.)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Let's just hope that Chicago isn't as stupid as Wisconsin. Let's see how long it takes for Wisconsin to get its $5,ooo,ooo, ooo (that's BILLION) back.
No time at all -- those tens of thousands of employees are all going to be earning and spending their money right in Cheeseland, and the state will gets its fair share and then some out of that... year after year after year.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can just see Uber/Lyft finding a way to overcharge those potential new riders and the drivers will get nothing..
Don't be so negative----we'll all get an additional $10 on our weekend quests while Uber will add another $1 to their per ride "service fee".

Of course, no pings for two hours when you are 2 rides short and only 20 minutes to go on the deadline. So good luck trying to earn that incentive.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
---Minimum of 8 million sq ft of office space, 50,000 jobs, transportation hub, tax breaks.

this is the upper limit set by Amazon, not a guaranteed minimum.

It's an attention grabbing headline to get all the politicians jizzing over themselves to throw subsidies for one of the richest people/biggest companies in the world.

100% chance that any final subsidies contract will not include any guarantee by amazon.

taxpayer money will line the shareholders'/owners' pockets. See the subsidies for baseball/football stadiums or the subsidies given to Motorola's cell phone/flip phone factory in Harvard, Illinois. Bonus points to anyone who remembers that.

That bet on motorola sure paid off!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quinn the quitter don't like Rahm da bomb, and vice versa. Will The Quitter give Amazon the tax breaks to move here? Can he give those breaks with Illinois being the 49th state in the nation in the poorest financial shape? I like being called Paul Positive. But on this deal. I feel like Nelly Negative. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Don't be so negative----we'll all get an additional $10 on our weekend quests while Uber will add another $1 to their per ride "service fee".

Of course, no pings for two hours when you are 2 rides short and only 20 minutes to go on the deadline. So good luck trying to earn that incentive.
Try 3 rides in 2 hours :mad:. Yeah didn't get my quest a couple months ago. Lol I was half tempted to bribe my pax $20 to end trip and reorder. I was 1 ride short at 3:55 a.m.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
There is supposed to be a huge warehouse opening in Kenosha Wisconsin. The company is Foxcon is building a 4 Billion dollar plant. Not that it helps any of us, but is quite interesting for those nearby Kenosha

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Let's just hope that Chicago isn't as stupid as Wisconsin. Let's see how long it takes for Wisconsin to get its $5,ooo,ooo, ooo (that's BILLION) back. They're giving away a lot of bucks to QualComm for a promise. I thought the private sector was supposed to be private.. Oh wait, now I get it. Don't burden us with any public accountability but bribe us to operate in your jurisdiction. What a country! (Sorry, Yakov.)
Wisconsin is paying at least $250k per job, and possibly about $1MM per job... the highest price tag ever to buy jobs...
So that means the bar is set at $12-50 billion dollars in subsidies... if they can get AmazonHQ for less than $50B, then it's a bargain.
Why not? just make a promise that you can't possibly keep - when the inevitable Chapter 9 happens, they can just **** over Bezos right along with all the pensioners.

Reactions: veblenrules

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wisconsin is paying at least $250k per job, and possibly about $1MM per job... the highest price tag ever to buy jobs...
So that means the bar is set at $12-50 billion dollars in subsidies... if they can get AmazonHQ for less than $50B, then it's a bargain.
Why not? just make a promise that you can't possibly keep - when the inevitable Chapter 9 happens, they can just &%[email protected]!* over Bezos right along with all the pensioners.
I see you were able to get your signature up and running....

·
Banned
305 Posts
Too many shootings and murders will kill any chance of amazon coming here!! Stop dreaming!! Just like the 16 Olympics. They aren't stupid enough to put their people in a war zone with protests going on every day of the week!! Be realistic! !

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...amazon-ryan-ori-0913-biz-20170912-column.html

Didn't think Chicago had much chance until I read this.
Transportation options would include 2 Metra lines, water taxi on the river, a 606 trail extension, shuttle to the L, and easy expressway access. Don't think many cities can compete with that.
The firms signed up to develop the property have a very impressive resume to get something like this done.
Amazon is essentially becoming a logistics company focused on getting products to the consumer. When you consider how Chicago is a hub for rail, road, air, and water transportation what first appeared to be a pipe dream for Chicago start to make it just a common sense choice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts