Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
received two pings for customer pick up Saturday night. Both were 20 minute eta. So I called them to let them know that it would be at least 20 minutes to pick them up. Both said that would be ok. While I had them on the phone I asked them politely if they would tell me their destination. Both agreed, 1 was going 2 miles, the other one about 5 miles. Both would have been less than $5.00 fare.

Now really customers, do you think it is fair for me to get you for $5.00, sorry get someone else. I would diffently be losing money if I did. I'm trying to make money not lose money.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
received two pings for customer pick up Saturday night. Both were 20 minute eta. So I called them to let them know that it would be at least 20 minutes to pick them up. Both said that would be ok. While I had them on the phone I asked them politely if they would tell me their destination. Both agreed, 1 was going 2 miles, the other one about 5 miles. Both would have been less than $5.00 fare.

Now really customers, do you think it is fair for me to get you for $5.00, sorry get someone else. I would diffently be losing money if I did. I'm trying to make money not lose money.
A 5 mile trip is less than $5 fare? Have you thought about whether Ubering where you are is worth your time and effort?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 5 mile trip is less than $5 fare? Have you thought about whether Ubering where you are is worth your time and effort?
Yep, it has gotten worse in the last few months. Was making decent money last year and earlier this year. For the last 2 - 3 months it has been less calls, less money, more miles driven. I got to believe that Uber has hired way to many drivers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
about $5 @ .75 a mile. It would take me longer to pick them up than to delivery them. do you get my point? Oh, by the way would you drive 20 mins for a $5 fare, it's just not smart business to lose money

·
Registered
457 Posts
about $5 @ .75 a mile. It would take me longer to pick them up than to delivery them. do you get my point? Oh, by the way would you drive 20 mins for a $5 fare, it's just not smart business to lose money
Damn. I would make those calls standard. I don't know how else anyone could ever make any profit otherwise.

Btw. I believe the return for you would actually be 3 bucks net.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts

I don;t cherry pick In fear of getting deactivated, I ignore all fares that come to me from that far away.
Some of them might be legitimate long distance trips.
Still, in fear of retribution in case I pick up rider or Uber deactivating me if I cherry pick, I completely ignore far away pings.
And, in Tampa, where I live, there are large stretches of uninhabited areas. I typically get requests from far away but some are ridiculously far.

I wish Uber had a solution to this. There should be a surcharge for a long distance pick up.
If I am the only driver in 10 miles, and I respond to a 10 mile away request, I need to get compansated for the pickup as soon as I accept the request.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don;t cherry pick In fear of getting deactivated, I ignore all fares that come to me from that far away.
Some of them might be legitimate long distance trips.
Still, in fear of retribution in case I pick up rider or Uber deactivating me if I cherry pick, I completely ignore far away pings.
And, in Tampa, where I live, there are large stretches of uninhabited areas. I typically get requests from far away but some are ridiculously far.

I wish Uber had a solution to this. There should be a surcharge for a long distance pick up.
If I am the only driver in 10 miles, and I respond to a 10 mile away request, I need to get compansated for the pickup as soon as I accept the request.
Yeah, 20 min is a no brainer. Too many dead miles.

Add in no p/u's at bus/train stations, grocery stores, restaurants, schools, etc.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Accept everything regardless of the distance. Most of the time I'm far away from my house anyways. In the loop the pigs are always close by. But farther west from Chicago pings can be 20 minutes away.

Thats right pigs, i said pigs you should see the place during bacon fest

Sometimes he's 20 minute trips to pick up someone and then drop him off a few miles away gets me closer to the expressway which easily saves gas and money in time over driving home on surface streets

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
make it even easier. anything over 8 min let go right away.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Accept everything regardless of the distance. Most of the time I'm far away from my house anyways. In the loop the pigs are always close by. But farther west from Chicago pings can be 20 minutes away.

Thats right pigs, i said pigs you should see the place during bacon fest

Sometimes he's 20 minute trips to pick up someone and then drop him off a few miles away gets me closer to the expressway which easily saves gas and money in time over driving home on surface streets
Horriblet advice. That is not a winning formula.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
This is how it should work, can work and if I work towards it, would make the entire show.

I got a call the other night from a rider I had given a ride to. He had to know if I was in the area. He needs a ride to the blue line.
I was so far away and turned him down.

I'm binge watching Magnum PI on OnDemand.
The entire series is free to watch, but you have to search for it.
The Soprano's was an awesome 4 week binge.

The phone rings. It's the same rider.
I agree to pick him up 10 miles away for a ride to the train station.
These are all highway miles at 45+mph and 35mpg,
I live a few blocks from the train station. The fare is 11.85.

So we have an agreement and I will be picking them up all weekend.
This is a great trip to end the day on as it takes me home.
I usually don't start on the weekends until 1130pm anyway.
Monday and Tuesday I can make it my last run.

Everything was done through the Uber App.
Now if I could only get 7-8 more of this type of trip.
80-90 bucks a day all planned out in advance.
I would be this close to nirvana.

Not much to many people, but it has so much going for it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yep, it has gotten worse in the last few months. Was making decent money last year and earlier this year. For the last 2 - 3 months it has been less calls, less money, more miles driven. I got to believe that Uber has hired way to many drivers.
I agree same in Jersey, in the beginning decent money first cut 10% what was it Dec /Jan Lyft comes knocking with cuts Uber says take another 20%, 30% in 14 months now that's not fair

1 - 14 of 14 Posts