Uber Drivers Forum banner

Would a CEL worry you as a passenger?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here and also a new driver.
As a rider, how do you think seeing a check engine light affects your rating/experience?

I have a CEL but it's for a part that isn't essential to the overall performance of the car. It however makes it sound a little louder but not any worse than your standard base model.

It's my purge valve for a 2013 Ford Focus SE, was told it only affects gas mileage a little. Replacement could be anywhere from 400 to 1k so I'm not going to stress it.

I can't clear the code ofc but I wanted to see if anyone has clear thoughts on this. I'm not going to bring it up unless they ask and all I will say is that it's a faulty censor I can't clear. Which isn't exactly lying.

For the gearheads, the code is a
P144A
EVAPORATE EMISSION system PURGE VAPOR RESTRICTED/blocked

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
As a passenger, my concern would not be for safety, but for the health and maintenance of the vehicle. Regardless of it being something not essential (it was essential enough to include an error code for...). Your passenger won't know the details you mentioned, and for all they know you've been ignoring a severe problem for months.

With that said, I have been in many taxi's that have had the CEL on.

Just thinking that any passengers that notice it very likely may lower your rating (if those even matter any more).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback so far. I do understand the concern for the maintenance and health of the vehicle though. Pretty important to keep on top of as a driver which can reef left on how the passenger feels about the drivers knowledge and overall attention to detail.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Thank you for the feedback so far. I do understand the concern for the maintenance and health of the vehicle though. Pretty important to keep on top of as a driver which can reef left on how the passenger feels about the drivers knowledge and overall attention to detail.
A little square of black electrical tape over the light on the dash makes it go away. Then get whatever it is you need fixed fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping that a car guy will see this and help me find a super cheap way to fix the evap system.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Seems a classic, pay me now or pay me later sitch. Whatever the issue is with your car, bet you wont pass a smog check due to it. Then you'll have repair cost on top of your registration fees at the same time. I'd put some dough aside and fix sooner than later. Good luck!

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
As a rider, how do you think seeing a check engine light affects your rating/experience?

I have a CEL but it's for a part that isn't essential to the overall performance of the car. It however makes it sound a little louder but not any worse than your standard base model.

It's my purge valve for a 2013 Ford Focus SE, was told it only affects gas mileage a little. Replacement could be anywhere from 400 to 1k so I'm not going to stress it.

I can't clear the code ofc but I wanted to see if anyone has clear thoughts on this. I'm not going to bring it up unless they ask and all I will say is that it's a faulty censor I can't clear. Which isn't exactly lying.

P144A
16 years in this business I will say that is a very common thing. Most of the time the sensor that monitors the part is more expensive then the part. BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE can be your friend.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
As a passenger, my concern would not be for safety, but for the health and maintenance of the vehicle. Regardless of it being something not essential (it was essential enough to include an error code for...). Your passenger won't know the details you mentioned, and for all they know you've been ignoring a severe problem for months.

With that said, I have been in many taxi's that have had the CEL on.

Just thinking that any passengers that notice it very likely may lower your rating (if those even matter any more).
Most CEL's you see on a cab is in a well worn ex Crown Vic cop car. Usually a cat converter throws the code.

For 5 bucks there's a neat Android app called "Torque." That app and a $25 Bluetooth OBDII/CAN interface will let you clear most codes temporarily.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I had my Check Engine light illuminated because of a malfunctioning sending unit in my fuel tank on my previous Uber vehicle. Basically, it would tell me my fuel was empty regardless of the actual contents of the fuel tank. Unfortunately, the fix was nearly $1000, so I just kept track of my fuel level and never went more than 250 miles on a full tank.

A couple riders did notice either the low-fuel light or the check engine light, and they pointed it out. I always defused the situation by guaranteeing that I had enough fuel to complete their trip, and offering to refund their money and pay for their next Uber if I ran out of fuel. :) Nobody ever seemed concerned after that explanation, although people might have kept their concerns to themselves.

I would recommend occasionally having Autozone check for any additional issues now and then. In most places, Autozone will check your engine codes for no charge.

·
Registered
653 Posts

P144A
Try checking out YouTube to see if it's a difficult fix. My guess is that if it's just the purge valve it should be a pretty simple and cheap fix. I replaced one in my GMC last year and it took a whole 5 min.
YouTube has been my best friend for quite some time when it comes to car repairs. GM was gonna charge me over $500 for a basic tune up. They made it seem like it was something super difficult. I looked up some videos and dug in. It took about 3 hrs and the cost of plugs and 1 coil pack.
If your gonna be doing a lot of Ubering, it's a good idea to get familiar with your vehicle under the hood.
DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER, if you don't know the difference between a Phillips and flat head.... Disregard everything I just said and take your car to the shop asap. :)

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I had a couple people ask me about my CE light and I have always been honest with them. It's an EGR valve that went bad and I deleted (removed) it.
Now I just put business cards over the light until I get my handheld tuner.

·
Premium Member
65,778 Posts

P144A

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts