Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's a cheap pay as you go data plan for iPad that's out there? I'm trying to use both Uber and Lyft at the same time but one of it will quite on me if I don't have it on the Top once every few mins. This is a pain! I'm thinking about using an iPad mini for this so I can just have a data plan on it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Welcome to the iPad mini club . That's exactly what I use. Well an IPad mini 2 that is. I pay a little over $30 from T-Mobile for my data plan. It's a little over 6 gigs but I never seem to run out even if I stream videos. Works perfectly. Are you ubering or doing Lyft full time? I'd suggest T-Mobile. No issues ever since I signed up for my data plan.

I have my iPad mini 2 rigged on my vents right below my dashboard right where radio is and I can still see my rear view back up camera

Check out my old post about my iPad mini 2

https://uberpeople.net/threads/using-a-tablet-for-uber-lyft.113942/#post-1642148

·
Registered
989 Posts
View attachment 143098 The ultimate gps for your car... 12.9" iPad Pro
I'll admit it's cool but I don't like the idea of looking down and taking my eyes completely off the road haha. I rather keep it small and simple. Mini 2 had really good battery life and easy to carry. Pro has big ass nice screen with nice loud speakers and crystal clear video and camera for taking pics. Bad thing is battery life is really bad.

I keep my iPad mini 2 where I can still be keeping an eye on traffic. I can also put an iPad Pro there lol but I won't be able to see my rear view mirror unless I hook up my video dash cam when I am switching to reverse .

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'll admit it's cool but I don't like the idea of looking down and taking my eyes completely off the road haha. I rather keep it small and simple. Mini 2 had really good battery life and easy to carry. Pro has big ass nice screen with nice loud speakers and crystal clear video and camera for taking pics. Bad thing is battery life is really bad.

I keep my iPad mini 2 where I can still be keeping an eye on traffic. I can also put an iPad Pro there lol but I won't be able to see my rear view mirror unless I hook up my video dash cam when I am switching to reverse .
That's why it's connected to a high output usb charge from the Sony radio right behind the iPad. And it's not really as low as you might think...lol. It's fully built into the dash. Oh and it's synced thru the stereo system. AND there is a wireless Bluetooth back up cam that syncs to ipads .. Phone calls?? Just use facetime hands free lol

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes you better have high output USB charge and hope it doesn't go out. I had bought the 9.7 version of iPad Pro and literally charged it at max and it was drained less than 70 or 50% when using cellular data connection after an hour or 2. I took that sucker back and asked for a refund hah.
Dude, I thought you ripped out all your heater AC / heat controls and put your iPad Pro to fill the missing space . Lol jk.
Wait, if your iPad is sitting in that spot, how do you turn on AC or radio ? o_O

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes you better have high output USB charge and hope it doesn't go out. I had bought the 9.7 version of iPad Pro and literally charged it at max and it was drained less than 70 or 50% when using cellular data connection after an hour or 2. I took that sucker back and asked for a refund hah.
Dude, I thought you ripped out all your heater AC / heat controls and put your iPad Pro to fill the missing space . Lol jk.
Wait, if your iPad is sitting in that spot, how do you turn on AC or radio ? o_O
A/Controls were moved to the center console in front of the armrest. Radio had an app that's let's you control everything from the iPad. Those were taken while it was being worked on.. wasn't t finished yet

·
Registered
989 Posts
A/Controls were moved to the center console in front of the armrest. Radio had an app that's let's you control everything from the iPad. Those were taken while it was being worked on.. want finished yet
Well it's nice if you did it for yourself. But in honesty, these PAX don't deserve so much. That's why I rigged mines with 2 zip ties and 2 binder clips. Cheapest and most affordable way lol. Plus when I go on long road trips with the family, I can navigate easily while keeping eyes on the road. At least if I glance, it's still in front of the view of the windshield rather than glancing downwards. Online, I saw a bunch of different mounts for IPADS. I didn't like any of them even for the price. So, I got this idea to attach the IPAD to the vents without making any costly enhancements

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well it's nice if you did it for yourself. But in honesty, these PAX don't deserve so much. That's why I rigged mines with 2 zip ties and 2 binder clips. Cheapest and most affordable way lol. Plus when I go on long road trips with the family, I can navigate easily while keeping eyes on the road. At least if I glance, it's still in front of the view of the windshield rather than glancing downwards. Online, I saw a bunch of different mounts for IPADS. I didn't like any of them even for the price. So, I got this idea to attach the IPAD to the vents without making any costly enhancements
Didn't do it for the pax.... Lol. This is actually in my ex-gf's car and was done last summer....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the iPad mini club . That's exactly what I use. Well an IPad mini 2 that is. I pay a little over $30 from T-Mobile for my data plan. It's a little over 6 gigs but I never seem to run out even if I stream videos. Works perfectly. Are you ubering or doing Lyft full time? I'd suggest T-Mobile. No issues ever since I signed up for my data plan.

I have my iPad mini 2 rigged on my vents right below my dashboard right where radio is and I can still see my rear view back up camera

Check out my old post about my iPad mini 2

https://uberpeople.net/threads/using-a-tablet-for-uber-lyft.113942/#post-1642148
Wow! You are rocking it! How did you get it rigged to your vents? Are there any recommended iPad Mini mounts for the dashboard? Thanks.

View attachment 143098 The ultimate gps for your car... 12.9" iPad Pro
I understand that the iPad Pro supports multi-tasking and allows playing windows at the same time. Do you take advantage of this feature to keep both Uber and Lyft on Top of the screen? What has been your experience on this.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wow! You are rocking it! How did you get it rigged to your vents? Are there any recommended iPad Mini mounts for the dashboard? Thanks.

I understand that the iPad Pro supports multi-tasking and allows playing windows at the same time. Do you take advantage of this feature to keep both Uber and Lyft on Top of the screen? What has been your experience on this.
2 Zip ties and 2 binder clips. I basically took a zip to tie around the inside of the clip and then tightened it to the vents in a loop. Once secured, I just fully tightened the zip tie and used the binder clip on a IPAD mini 2 case holder. Waaala .

Pretty easy and very inexpensive way of mounting the IPAD. I can't say you might find a lot of mounts out there that you may like. But again, depending on what type of vehicle you drive, it might differ. Most sedans are hard to mount a Ipad mini 2 being that there is little space. Some cars have a special drawer to put electronics like a tablet in. But most sedans are basically SOL. That's why rather than pay for the mount, I'd rather make something that will be far more useful than the junk they sell online.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Communication Device
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive mirror
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle White

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I like free data plan. I found MIFI service 500mb free per month. I got 5 MIFI access points so I can rotate everyday. If I need more data every month, I just make one time investment to buy additional access point ($19) and add a free line.

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 Zip ties and 2 binder clips. I basically took a zip to tie around the inside of the clip and then tightened it to the vents in a loop. Once secured, I just fully tightened the zip tie and used the binder clip on a IPAD mini 2 case holder. Waaala .

Pretty easy and very inexpensive way of mounting the IPAD. I can't say you might find a lot of mounts out there that you may like. But again, depending on what type of vehicle you drive, it might differ. Most sedans are hard to mount a Ipad mini 2 being that there is little space. Some cars have a special drawer to put electronics like a tablet in. But most sedans are basically SOL. That's why rather than pay for the mount, I'd rather make something that will be far more useful than the junk they sell online.

View attachment 143314 View attachment 143315 View attachment 143316
Wow! That's very creative. I have no idea this can be securely done w zip ties n binder clips. Maybe when you get a chance you should put a lil YouTube video on that. Lot of folks will thank you :)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Just looked up. Very cool. Is the basic Netgear modem good enough? Also, do they retail locally? Their shipping charge is like $13.
Search Internet for their promotion link. You should just pay $19 for the MIFI modem/access point. No shipping, activation. The cheap one work fine with me. They will give you 3 or 6GB data free for the first month. Before the renew date, 1-downgrade to free 500MB plan, 2-remove a service (I don't remember the name, junk anyway) on the line. The downgrade and remove links are a little hard to find and see. 500MB is not a lot. So my approach is to buy a new line/access point every month for 5 months. Label them 1-5. Then you can designate 1 to Monday, 2 to Tuesday... They are using Sprint network, fine with me at ORD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.