Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I'm going to work the guarantee zones. I've never tried it before because I think uber will always find a loophole to stiff me.

But I really need to make about $300 over today and tomorrow so I'm desperate. Lately I have been making about $100 a day, but it requires about 6-8 hours unless I get long trips or surges.

If anyone has experience in guarantee chasing, I'd appreciate any advice. Im thinking about starting at Lenox mall but I'm not even sure if that area counts.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Today I'm going to work the guarantee zones. I've never tried it before because I think uber will always find a loophole to stiff me.

But I really need to make about $300 over today and tomorrow so I'm desperate. Lately I have been making about $100 a day, but it requires about 6-8 hours unless I get long trips or surges.

If anyone has experience in guarantee chasing, I'd appreciate any advice. Im thinking about starting at Lenox mall but I'm not even sure if that area counts.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Know your numbers and keep a log of the numbers.

# trips needed
# targets needed
# nonaccepted allowed

1. Save your nonaccepted to the end.
2. If you are taken out of the zone, it is better to go off the clock to get back to the zone than nonaccept or take a ride outside of the zone.
3. Lenox is in the zone but it is at the top end of the zone so it is easy to be taken out of the zone.
4. Try to stay in the lower half of the zone. Easier to stay in the zone that way.
5. Stay away from working VA. Highlands. To easy to be taken to Decatur and you could get stuck out there.
6. Pool rides are your friend during guarantees, especially matched as that counts as 2 rides. Also pools are usually short rides.
7. Stay away from surges if at all possible as they dilute Uber's payout to you. The goal is to get Uber to pay the most possible for as little work as possible.

Just a few pointers from someone who smacks Uber when they let me play, which isn't very often anymore!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Know your numbers and keep a log of the numbers.

# trips needed
# targets needed
# nonaccepted allowed

1. Save your nonaccepted to the end.
2. If you are taken out of the zone, it is better to go off the clock to get back to the zone than nonaccept or take a ride outside of the zone.
3. Lenox is in the zone but it is at the top end of the zone so it is easy to be taken out of the zone.
4. Try to stay in the lower half of the zone. Easier to stay in the zone that way.
5. Stay away from working VA. Highlands. To easy to be taken to Decatur and you could get stuck out there.
6. Pool rides are your friend during guarantees, especially matched as that counts as 2 rides. Also usually short rides.
7. Stay away from surges if at all possible as they dilute Uber's payout to you. The goal is to get Uber to pay the most possible for as little work as possible.

Just a few pointers from someone who smacks Uber when they let me play, which isn't very often anymore!
Thanks for all the good info. Very helpful.

So is it worth the effort in your opinion?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My first suggestion is don't trust information about specific areas to drive when that information is provided by other drivers. They are not your friends when you're competing for the same rides. However I am your friend. You can trust me. Sarcasm. Seriously I wish there was more camraderie among drivers but until we form associations and work together against the low wages UBER foists upon us (strikes, etc.) (which by the way ain't gonna happen) my advice is take all information from other drivers with a grain of salt. Experiment and draw your own conclusions. Use the passenger app to see whether a guarantee is oversubscribed and is worth pursuing...it may not be worth pursuing AT ALL even if its offered to you. Yes I know some of us wait around for the guarantees as the holy grail for actually making some money. Sometimes in my opinion the Peachtree corridor guarantees are not worth pursuing and you'll make more money in the suburban hotspots. OH NO, I've given away a secret (or not so secret secret). More money can also mean the same amount of money but less driving your car into the ground (i.e. more surge) which, on balance, means more REAL money (after expenses and depreciation) for you. Engage analytical brain. Sometimes doing the opposite of what Uber wants you to do is the most profitable route. Here endeth the lesson.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My first suggestion is don't trust information about specific areas to drive when that information is provided by other drivers. They are not your friends when you're competing for the same rides. However I am your friend. You can trust me. Sarcasm. Seriously I wish there was more camraderie among drivers but until we form associations and work together against the low wages UBER foists upon us (strikes, etc.) (which by the way ain't gonna happen) my advice is take all information from other drivers with a grain of salt. Experiment and draw your own conclusions. Use the passenger app to see whether a guarantee is oversubscribed and is worth pursuing...it may not be worth pursuing AT ALL even if its offered to you. Yes I know some of us wait around for the guarantees as the holy grail for actually making some money. Sometimes in my opinion the Peachtree corridor guarantees are not worth pursuing and you'll make more money in the suburban hotspots. OH NO, I've given away a secret (or not so secret secret). More money can also mean the same amount of money but less driving your car into the ground (i.e. more surge) which, on balance, means more REAL money (after expenses and depreciation) for you. Engage analytical brain. Sometimes doing the opposite of what Uber wants you to do is the most profitable route. Here endeth the lesson.
Written like someone who has been smitted by the guarantee game.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree that a lot of drivers are out to sabatoge their peers, but PTC aka Willy Wonka is a straightforward guy so I actually trust his advice.
I've been driving for 7 months so I pretty much know how to be profitable. I just figured I would give this a shot since I've always shunned the guarantees.
It's kind of like food...how do you know if you like or dislike something if you've never tried it?

We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please do... I have also never tried it for the same reasons you mention.
I will report back this evening. Hopefully I have some decent screenshots of earnings.

Though, I'm not sure if the promotional earnings show up automatically.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Thanks for all the good info. Very helpful.

So is it worth the effort in your opinion?
I call minimum, no surge fares minnows. Last night, I needed 8 rides in 5 hours for $100 to me. I got 9 minnows that paid 30, Uber owes me 70.... That is 11.11 per minnow. Highest earnings for lowest effort. Uber builds brand loyalty with those 9 rides, hopefully they will soon pay a surge fare to me when it is not an incentive moment.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
One more thing, rider no show cancellations do not count against you but it is better to wait within reason in order to get your ride count. I always call as soon as I arrive during guarantees to expedite the process.
This.... and rider cancels are our friend, as they pad the acceptance rate in our favor to ward off mysterious inabilities to accept a ping from time to time that does harm acceptance rating while on the guarantee clock.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts