Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I like this, but I can see problems when you arrive at an apartment complex and the app shows you have arrived at the complex. I usually don't run the gate because I've had pax complain about me 'getting in,' so I wait at the leasing office, however, if the lax is going to the airport, they'll want you to go to their front door (or if they're making a Washateria run).

·
Registered
17 Posts
So is this automatic after you've sat there two mins? And logically following, is there a sort of cancel fee since the trip begins, i.e., minimum fare if they cancel after two mins?

·
Registered
23 Posts
They should have done this a long time ago. Will some people dispute the actual arrival, maybe but most will not because Uber per minute rate is laughable. I have always started once I make contact anyway but this would save me the phone call. Based on 10 rides a day I could see it adding $1-2 to daily earnings. Considering it takes me on average 8-10 hours to make $100 it would be an almost "testable" crumb.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
  1. Ride is started so the minimum fare applies ($5.00 in Dallas)
  2. Ride is started so rider can rate you
  3. Driver get's $2.5 or $2.64 and Uber takes about 50%
  4. When cancellations were in play, the booking fee didn't apply. Driver would get $4
This is all smoke and mirrors and Uber's way of making more money. Riders will realize it only costs $6.00 per hour to have your driver wait.

For me, I will wait up to 2 minutes. After that, I am cancelling and moving on.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
  1. Ride is started so the minimum fare applies ($5.00 in Dallas)
  2. Ride is started so rider can rate you
  3. Driver get's $2.5 or $2.64 and Uber takes about 50%
  4. When cancellations were in play, the booking fee didn't apply. Driver would get $4
This is all smoke and mirrors and Uber's way of making more money. Riders will realize it only costs $6.00 per hour to have your driver wait.

For me, I will wait up to 2 minutes. After that, I am cancelling and moving on.
I'm not sure how that's gonna work out in Houston as we don't get cancellation fees (or guarantees except for a few, or the 'metal' program).

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not sure how that's gonna work out in Houston as we don't get cancellation fees (or guarantees except for a few, or the 'metal' program).
yeah if the ride "starts" at 2 minutes and I cancel at 5 does that mean I get 33 cents minus the 20% and the rider can rate me? What garbage. No I can't cancel at all after two minutes? I have to wait forever for these idiots? Great job Uber Houston, you found a new way to screw the driver! I didn't think you had it in you!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
yeah if the ride "starts" at 2 minutes and I cancel at 5 does that mean I get 33 cents minus the 20% and the rider can rate me? What garbage. No I can't cancel at all after two minutes? I have to wait forever for these idiots? Great job Uber Houston, you found a new way to screw the driver! I didn't think you had it in you!
Yeah, I think it means we have to hang around even if the rider takes ten minutes. Plus, if they dropped the pin wrong, and we 'arrive' at the 'wrong' address, we're at risk for lower rankings.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'll just have to see how this works out before rushing to a judgment, although it seems to have 'unintended consequences' written all over it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We don't get cancellation fees as well here in Dallas. Until I see exactly how this works, I am going to stick with my 2 - 5 minute wait/cancel time. If Uber tries to pin me in the corner where the rider can rate me because I don't wait, my wait time will decrease to 1 minute 59 seconds.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I like this, but I can see problems when you arrive at an apartment complex and the app shows you have arrived at the complex. I usually don't run the gate because I've had pax complain about me 'getting in,' so I wait at the leasing office, however, if the lax is going to the airport, they'll want you to go to their front door (or if they're making a Washateria run).
freakin washateria run. . I did this once as a beginner because I was amused about where they would take their laundry at 1am.. I checked back there later and saw some dirty panties. Hey, at least I found a 24 hour washeteria.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Yeah, I think it means we have to hang around even if the rider takes ten minutes. Plus, if they dropped the pin wrong, and we 'arrive' at the 'wrong' address, we're at risk for lower rankings.
This one lady called me asking where I was and that I should be on another street and going the wrong way to her. (back of the complex) I told her, the front is here and I am on the street/address you put. She was sounding really upset.. She said I need to come back. I said ok. *click* cancel trip - "too much luggage" She had emotional luggage.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Riders will think its more, and that's what counts. We should see an increase in riders waiting for us to pull up.
Then they be griping that we are costing them money. Oh, the sweet irony. But anyhow, I'll reserve further comment until I see it in action.

I also noticed that Uber no longer posts the rates on their website. All they have is the trip estimator. If anyone can find the posted rates, please post the link.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
This one lady called me asking where I was and that I should be on another street and going the wrong way to her. (back of the complex) I told her, the front is here and I am on the street/address you put. She was sounding really upset.. She said I need to come back. I said ok. *click* cancel trip - "too much luggage" She had emotional luggage.
I like the ones that show an address something like 6000-6800 on a street.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Then they be griping that we are costing them money. Oh, the sweet irony. But anyhow, I'll reserve further comment until I see it in action.

I also noticed that Uber no longer posts the rates on their website. All they have is the trip estimator. If anyone can find the posted rates, please post the link.
Interesting. I know they have started to do basically flat rates in other cities. Probably to hide how much we are making per min/mile so the public is kept in the dark from how much we don't make and therefore can't compare it to 1981 taxi cab rates.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts