Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number of trips with stops has gotten out of hand. So have trips with changed destinations.

Uber's alleged "notifications" of trip changes are a bad joke. So is the additional pay they offer. More than once I didn't find out about it until the pax were in the car and I had to throw them out.

The reason for the changed destinations is obvious... more and more drivers are refusing to do longer trips. The pax then resort to bait and switch trickery to hopefully get newbies to do the longer trips.

Some of these pax are very proficient with the app and can make rapid-fire trip changes before you arrive to pick them up. Some can do them quickly from the back seat.

I tested a couple of stops and I won't do them any more. Uber pays NOTHING for the extra time and mileage driving to the stop. They only pay for the time AFTER you arrive at the stop. **** that.

· Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I have zero problem telling a pax that I cannot take them to their changed destination, unless of course it's where I want to go.
As for added stops, I only had one since UFF started. I actually helped the pax set up a round trip after they got into my car. I had no problem with that round trip.
I know one thing, though. I used to stop at convenience stores for pax without having them add a stop in the app if it was DIRECTLY on the way to their destination. Even though I'd typically only got an extra dollar for those stops, I will not do those any longer as my up front fare will no longer change.

· Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have zero problem telling a pax that I cannot take them to their changed destination, unless of course it's where I want to go.
As for added stops, I only had one since UFF started. I actually helped the pax set up a round trip after they got into my car. I had no problem with that round trip.
I know one thing, though. I used to stop at convenience stores for pax without having them add a stop in the app if it was DIRECTLY on the way to their destination. Even though I'd typically only got an extra dollar for those stops, I will not do those any longer as my up front fare will no longer change.
Under the old system doing a round trip meant the meter was always running. With Upfront Fares you're totally at the mercy of how much extra Uber decides to pay if anything. Last week Uber offered an extra $2 for 4 additional miles after the pax changed the destination. No thanks.

Because most pax aren't toes to the curb I'm already giving most pax two minutes on the house.

· Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for added stops, I only had one since UFF started.
I had 4 trips with added stops on Saturday. I did two of them as a test to see how much extra I'd be paid and when it turned out to be less than 30 cents for each of them I decided that was enough.

A catalyst for my decision not to do any more stops was that the second one was a pickup from a supermarket (business was very slow at the time) and I helped load the groceries in the trunk. After the car was loaded she informed me that there was a stop I needed to make before taking her to her destination. Suffice to say I was not pleased. For the time spent loading and unloading the groceries and going to her stop Uber paid me a whopping 30 cents extra.

· Registered
3 Posts
When I pickup at a grocery store, I verify if it is the right person first. Then I start the clock, get out of my car, open the trunk of my car and watch the person load items. When all items are loaded i close the trunk, Get back into the drivers seat. Rider should be getting in car at the same time as you do. drive rider to desitination. Then get out and open trunk for rider to remove items from trunk. When they are done I close the trunk and get back into my drivers seat. I then end the trip.

· Premium Member
2019 Toyota Corolla
8,419 Posts
They actually do pay you the wait time after 2 minutes
i don’t like it but sometimes put up with it
as far as changing the destination I’ve taken to telling them
i am an independent contractor and that trip is not what I agreed to
unless of course it’s shorter LOL

· Premium Member
11,261 Posts
When I pickup at a grocery store, I verify if it is the right person first. Then I start the clock, get out of my car, open the trunk of my car and watch the person load items. When all items are loaded i close the trunk, Get back into the drivers seat. Rider should be getting in car at the same time as you do. drive rider to desitination. Then get out and open trunk for rider to remove items from trunk. When they are done I close the trunk and get back into my drivers seat. I then end the trip.
So, while it's just pennies, with upfront pricing you are better off waiting till everyone is in the car before you start the trip. You get no extra money for time on trip BUT you do get extra money for waiting time after 2 minutes (and it gives you an opportunity to say hell no if you need to).

As far as OP is concerned, if they add a stop or change the destination before I arrive, I usually cancel or in rare cases when I traveled a distance to get them (so the cancel fee is higher) I will shuffle them. If they do it while in the car I explain the lack of compensation and then listen. If they look at me with the blank cheap stare I tell them no and accept the 1 star, remind them I have a dash cam that recorded them.

· Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If they do it while in the car I explain the lack of compensation and then listen. If they look at me with the blank cheap stare I tell them no and accept the 1 star,
Why take a 1-star for little to no pay? Try to get them to cancel or do it yourself.

Last week 2 pax changed the destination a couple of blocks from where I picked them up. I told them I didn't want to do that trip and I was gonna cancel the ride. Fortunately they cancelled it so I got the fee.

· Premium Member
11,261 Posts
Why take a 1-star for little to no pay? Try to get them to cancel or do it yourself.

Last week I had 2 pax change the destination shortly after I picked them up. I told them I didn't want to do that trip and I was gonna cancel the ride. Fortunately they cancelled it so I got the fee.
I probably wasn't clear enough, I meant if the trip was already under way. Sure, if you can get them to cancel, great! Removes most of the avenues for vindictive behavior. But, if they ask for a stop at the drive through along the way home, I'm kind of stuck with telling them no and taking them home. At that point I am going to take the hit on the ratings.

· Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I probably wasn't clear enough, I meant if the trip was already under way. Sure, if you can get them to cancel, great! Removes most of the avenues for vindictive behavior. But, if they ask for a stop at the drive through along the way home, I'm kind of stuck with telling them no and taking them home. At that point I am going to take the hit on the ratings.
My trip was already underway but only a couple of blocks from where I picked them up. If I had marked the ride as complete I would have gotten 1 star from the pax and probably zero from Uber because I only drove them a couple of blocks.

The possibility of added stops and/or changed destinations is one of the main reasons I avoid long distance pickups. Short pickups minimize the loss of time and gas if I need to cancel and although it doesn't prevent pax from making false complaints to Uber it does prevent them from giving me 1 star ratings.

· Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to take the hit on the ratings.
I realize most posters on this website say ratings don't matter but I think they probably do to some extent.

I suspect that when drivers are plentiful some pax, particularly women, may try to hold out for high-rated drivers.

It's also likely that Uber's algo may also use ratings as some sort of "tiebreaker".

· Premium Member
11,261 Posts
I realize most posters on this website say ratings don't matter but I think they probably do to some extent.

I suspect that when drivers are plentiful some pax, particularly women, may try to hold out for high-rated drivers.

It's also likely that Uber's algo may also use ratings as some sort of "tiebreaker".
There's lots of things in the Uber algorithm black box that we don't understand and so we see people making educated guesses based on their data. Bottom line, only the programmers know for sure. I fall into the camp of not worrying about ratings. Sure, I'll dodge trips where it looks like it's going to be bad news even before the trip starts but once underway I don't give it too much thought. That doesn't mean I haven't told someone who was mad about not getting their drive thru stop that I have a dash cam recording this and if you give me a 1 star and write false information I will show Uber the video and request they close your account. People may hear that "and" as a if you give me a 1 star and so not do it, I don't know. I typically run between 4.93 and 4.95, right now I'm at 4.94 and since I drive mostly at night with stacked pings, I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

· Registered
12 Posts
I had 4 trips with added stops on Saturday. I did two of them as a test to see how much extra I'd be paid and when it turned out to be less than 30 cents for each of them I decided that was enough.

A catalyst for my decision not to do any more stops was that the second one was a pickup from a supermarket (business was very slow at the time) and I helped load the groceries in the trunk. After the car was loaded she informed me that there was a stop I needed to make before taking her to her destination. Suffice to say I was not pleased. For the time spent loading and unloading the groceries and going to her stop Uber paid me a whopping 30 cents extra.
Contact Uber when this happens... do not take another trip... same thing happened yo me with UFF... customer mistakenly put wrong destination in... told me ... then changed it. I KNEW I WAS NOT GOING TO BE PAID ADDITIONALLY... at the end of the trip... I looked at the fair... it showed pickup and new drop off locations... did not show extra miles and time... contacted Uber about specific trip... they reviewed it... showed clearly what happened... Uber paid me an additional $20!!! Report any destination changes or stops otherwise you are losing money.

· Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
10,787 Posts
They actually do pay you the wait time after 2 minutes
i don’t like it but sometimes put up with it
as far as changing the destination I’ve taken to telling them
i am an independent contractor and that trip is not what I agreed to
unless of course it’s shorter LOL
WOOO..

24c... totally game changing money in my maket. That's not per minute that's for 3.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts