Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys any good cdl schools around north side of Chicago or the burbs. Or is any of you guys going to school now please let me know which one thank u.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I went to Progressive in Cicero but that was in 2004. To me it was a great school, but then again what helped me with the backing up was that I went there while working at the airport. What does airport have to do with CDL you might ask? Well at the airport many times you have to back up luggage/cargo carts or dollys. Same concept, only difference obviously is the size. I know they have a progressive near Belmont and central. I paid $2,400 back then. Don't know how much now. I do recall but I might be mistaking that they let you pay in like 3-4 payments. Practically before taking the test

·
Registered
50 Posts
guys any good cdl schools around north side of Chicago or the burbs. Or is any of you guys going to school now please let me know which one thank u.
Star truck driving school in Hickory Hills. 95th st and I294.
They have both week day and weekend classes. Good instructors although can be a little rough around the edges but make it fun sometimes. They give you everything you need to succeed plenty of opportunities to drive their trucks towards the end they even give you a bit of a cheat sheet so you know how to pass your pre-trip at the secretary state's office. Plus the location at Hickory Hills after you pass the pre-trip the secretary States employees will come out to the school property so you can do your road trip there instead of going to a secretary state facility all in all not bad and I think tuition was 2500 bucks plus they have job placement not anything special but if you want to go work for one of the big freight companies doing over the road they always have jobs available. I've heard of some students to looking out and getting Regional jobs and even driving fuel tankers one month out of school as long as you have your Hazmat and tanker endorsement. Took me 2 months to get my CDL it was pretty fun

Good luck

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thanx guys
Also don't know what your situation is but if your collecting unemployment, then unemployment will pay for it. Again this was in 2004. When I got my license, a few guys that were theee before me were not even close to passing and come to find out that they were in no hurry. They get their license then they get cut off that unemployment check and they would have to work lol. Oh and by the way, at progressive, the instructors would come to the yard for ALL test.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Star in Bennsenville

You can also apply to many companies these days and go through training with them while working the dock.
The driver shortage in the trucking industry right now has made it possible that even out of trucking school you can get a job with the bigger companies where before you had to cut your teeth OTR or the mom and pops locally.
Larger companies such as OD, XPO, Holland(yes even union companies) are accepting new drivers straight out of school. Some such as Holland are accepting those with a B class endorsement starting at $18 + bennies but you will be required to get an A with all endorsements within 6 months.

·
Registered
176 Posts
they are paying 80k a year or more to drive for the oil & gas companies in North Dakota. Just FYI. I'd be doing that if I didn't have to raise my son.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
they are paying 80k a year or more to drive for the oil & gas companies in North Dakota. Just FYI. I'd be doing that if I didn't have to raise my son.
Doing linehaul OTR for some of the company's I mentioned ou can bring in close to that even on open boards

City you can do something between $47k- $63+ if you are willing to put in the hours, averaging around mid $50k range easily. Mom and pop's and many of your air freights pay lower of course but they are not the corporate monsters. Don't get me wrong they come with their own set of problems as well..

I went to blue horizon by Harlem and archer. Great school and very flexible.
Try to get a local gig. Even if you have to cut your teeth doing so. And take your time!
Don't worry about what the four wheelers or other drivers think about you!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try to get a local gig. Even if you have to cut your teeth doing so. And take your time!
Don't worry about what the four wheelers or other drivers think about you!
I'm doing OTR right now. Nothing too far, Georgia, Arkansas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Tennessee, etc., I'm usually out for 3-4 days a week and home for 3-4. It's not too bad but I'd rather do it local since I'm married and have a 2 year old and another on the way. I take home between 900-1200 a week so it's pretty good pay, I just hate being away from my family, but almost all the local gigs that pay anything worthwhile want experience.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I hear Star Truck driving in Hickory is pretty affordable and accelerated. I just graduated from college in December, during my final semester I wanted to get my CDL and become a garbage man simply because you get paid so much with Overtime and I would always have my degree to fall back on.... but...I guess ill just work my 8-5 job and Uber on the side now..lol

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I'm doing OTR right now. Nothing too far, Georgia, Arkansas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Tennessee, etc., I'm usually out for 3-4 days a week and home for 3-4. It's not too bad but I'd rather do it local since I'm married and have a 2 year old and another on the way. I take home between 900-1200 a week so it's pretty good pay, I just hate being away from my family, but almost all the local gigs that pay anything worthwhile want experience.
Start putting your apps in online with the local company's like Holland, XPO, Dayton, R & L, OD, etc... they are all starting to ramp up hiring for local P&D and line haul.

OTR is hard on a family. In many ways it's like the military with the separation between spouses and children and that is why many do not survive doing it for long. Those runs are not to bad. Line haul for the company's I mentioned will have you out during the week as well, but if you get a steady bid run you are home every day.

I know an XPO driver when he ran linehaul Ch-Toledo pulling Trip's made in the high $80's and I know many Holland and Dayton drivers making from the mid $60's -mid $70's.

They are all looking for drivers so on your bunk time and wait time fill out the apps online.

I was told that a pilot for major airlines can make $150k/year. If you are still 20+years old, you may try.
You compete with the veterans coming out of the military there. Most pilots are former military with major airlines. You can start young and work your way up though.. just like anything else you are hauling freight be it people or products. Goes for pilots, truck drivers, bus drivers, taxi, uber it's all freight in the end.

I hear Star Truck driving in Hickory is pretty affordable and accelerated. I just graduated from college in December, during my final semester I wanted to get my CDL and become a garbage man simply because you get paid so much with Overtime and I would always have my degree to fall back on.... but...I guess ill just work my 8-5 job and Uber on the side now..lol
Pursue the field that your degree is in first if it was a degree in more than the social sciences. Many people get trapped outside of what they went to school for and for many coming out of college today didn't major in something that was actually applicable in the real world.

When the emphasis went away from vocational to everyone having to have a degree in society we watered down the ability for younger people to actually succeed at an earlier age, while leaving them in more and more debt.

If you have a degree that you can find something in persue that first otherwise you will never go back to it. Remember if you have a Bachelors you can always pick up work subbing as well and many districts are short on sub's right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts