Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in tonight at 11:00pm for my 8 hour taxi shift and around 2:00am the taxi broke down and needed to be towed back to the yard. Supervisor offered me to switch cabs for the remaining part of my shift or call it a day and go home. I decided to go home.

As I usually do after my taxi shift on my way home, I logged onto Uber/Lyft/Postmates and about 10 minutes from home I get a ping to pick up at Rampart on Uber.

Drive the guy to terminal 1 and while I was getting his luggage out of my trunk the passenger said "wish I had cash so I could tip you"
I replied "I use an app called Square and I can accept a credit card tip".

He looks at me, looks at his luggage, looks at the Delta signage, looks at me then said "oh"

He opens his wallet and what do you know - he has numerious bills in there. He says "oh, I forgot I had this cash" and hands me a $10. I thank-him and wished him a safe flight.

Zero chance he forget he had cash as I'm guessing maybe at least 30 bills were in his wallet.

The $10 tip was nice but to catch a passenger who says - if I had cash I would tip is priceless.

Tired of these cheap people trying to make it look like they would tip if they had cash.

·
Banned
3,985 Posts
I went in tonight at 11:00pm for my 8 hour taxi shift and around 2:00am the taxi broke down and needed to be towed back to the yard. Supervisor offered me to switch cabs for the remaining part of my shift or call it a day and go home. I decided to go home.

As I usually do after my taxi shift on my way home, I logged onto Uber/Lyft/Postmates and about 10 minutes from home I get a ping to pick up at Rampart on Uber.

Drive the guy to terminal 1 and while I was getting his luggage out of my trunk the passenger said "wish I had cash so I could tip you"

He looks at me, looks at his luggage, looks at the Delta signage, looks at me then said "oh"

He opens his wallet and what do you know - he has numerious bills in there. He says "oh, I forgot I had this cash" and hands me a $10. I thank-him and wished him a safe flight.

Zero chance he forget he had cash as I'm guessing maybe at least 30 bills were in his wallet.

The $10 tip was nice but to catch a passenger who says - if I had cash I would tip is priceless.

Tired of these cheap people trying to make it look like they would tip if they had cash.
Cheap and a liar. Those are uber customers

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Cheap and a liar. Those are uber customers
Nearly the same on Lyft. I picked up a pax around 2am. Asked me to stop at a supermarket so he could buy some milk. "I'll tip you well", he said. Obviously this was bullshit, but it was 2am in a quiet, ping-free area so I decided to allow him five minutes. When we got to his house he did the usual "Thanks, man, I really appreciate it, I'm going to shoot you a big tip now" spiel. He was sitting next to me up front, and started tapping at his phone. He suddenly looks over at me to check if I am looking at what is on his phone screen, and then quickly looks back at his phone. "Ok, done!" he says. I checked later; of course no tip, so I didn't feel too guilty about one starring him. Not that that matters, anyway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nearly the same on Lyft. I picked up a pax around 2am. Asked me to stop at a supermarket so he could buy some milk. "I'll tip you well", he said. Obviously this was bullshit, but it was 2am in a quiet, ping-free area so I decided to allow him five minutes. When we got to his house he did the usual "Thanks, man, I really appreciate it, I'm going to shoot you a big tip now" spiel. He was sitting next to me up front, and started tapping at his phone. He suddenly looks over at me to check if I am looking at what is on his phone screen, and then quickly looks back at his phone. "Ok, done!" he says. I checked later; of course no tip, so I didn't feel too guilty about one starring him. Not that that matters, anyway.
IMO, this is why the fight to make Uber put a tip option in the app is dumb at this point. The ship has sailed as Uber has tainted 90% of pax not to tip. Having a tip option in Lyft has proven one thing to me and that is that people can avoid tipping you guilt free without having to be face-to-face and say "I have no cash on me." I have notice that I get tipped with about the same frequency on cash tips with Uber versus cashless with Lyft which tells me plainly that the people who are going to tip will tip and the cheapskates won't and that all that a tip option in an app does is spare them the embarrassment that your pax recently had.

Also, I think if Uber were smart they would put in a tip option because most over the drivers will think they won and Uber can basically say you got what you wanted so shut up where in the end I bet you will find it not to have changed your tipping situation much except for the fact that maybe you will receive less cash in hand tips ... again, not such a good thing.

What all should be fighting for Uber to do is to make it 100% clear that tips are appreciated and welcomed by drivers. they should also make the rating system more clear to pax and let them know that if they are not giving me a 5 star then I would prefer they just didn't rate at all unless they are giving me a 1 or 2 star because I deserved it. Those 4 star ratings which most pax think are good are just a slow death for me.

·
Banned
3,985 Posts
IMO, this is why the fight to make Uber put a tip option in the app is dumb at this point. The ship has sailed as Uber has tainted 90% of pax not to tip. Having a tip option in Lyft has proven one thing to me and that is that people can avoid tipping you guilt free without having to be face-to-face and say "I have no cash on me." I have notice that I get tipped with about the same frequency on cash tips with Uber versus cashless with Lyft which tells me plainly that the people who are going to tip will tip and the cheapskates won't and that all that a tip option in an app does is spare them the embarrassment that your pax recently had.

Also, I think if Uber were smart they would put in a tip option because most over the drivers will think they won and Uber can basically say you got what you wanted so shut up where in the end I bet you will find it not to have changed your tipping situation much except for the fact that maybe you will receive less cash in hand tips ... again, not such a good thing.

What all should be fighting for Uber to do is to make it 100% clear that tips are appreciated and welcomed by drivers. they should also make the rating system more clear to pax and let them know that if they are not giving me a 5 star then I would prefer they just didn't rate at all unless they are giving me a 1 or 2 star because I deserved it. Those 4 star ratings which most pax think are good are just a slow death for me.
I can careless about the tip. All I want is the rates to be fair so drivers can actually make dollars and not pennies

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
IMO, this is why the fight to make Uber put a tip option in the app is dumb at this point. The ship has sailed as Uber has tainted 90% of pax not to tip.
Exactly. I only gross around $300 per week on Lyft, and the 2-3% of gross that Lyfters consistently tip is not a material amount. The 5 or 6 bucks in tips per week is enough to buy a coffee at Starbucks every 3 or 4 days, but in terms of making any difference to income... clearly not.

I can careless about the tip.
Then why take the time to comment on tipping?o_O

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Had a Lyft customer leave a really nice 5* comment but ended it with "I feel bad about not leaving a tip as I had no cash". REALLY!!! A Lyft customer says they feel bad about not leaving a tip when they can leave a tip in the app. WTH!!!

·
Banned
3,985 Posts
Exactly. I only gross around $300 per week on Lyft, and the 2-3% of gross that Lyfters consistently tip is not a material amount. The 5 or 6 bucks in tips per week is enough to buy a coffee at Starbucks every 3 or 4 days, but in terms of making any difference to income... clearly not.

Then why take the time to comment on tipping?o_O
So you don't want the rates to be higher as long as you get tip. Come dude wake up smell the roses

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
So you don't want the rates to be higher as long as you get tip. Come dude wake up smell the roses
So you think that all car tires should be painted purple.

Wow, it's so much fun posting nonsense nonsense that other posters never said, and then telling them to smell roses!

Lol, these kerrrrazzy Millenials :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,985 Posts
So you think that all car tires should be painted purple.

Wow, it's so much fun posting nonsense nonsense that other posters never said, and then telling them to smell roses!

Lol, these kerrrrazzy Millenials :rolleyes:
I guess you love making pennies and cry about the tip. Why would you care so much about having a tip feature when no one tip on lyft anyways.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Had a Lyft customer leave a really nice 5* comment but ended it with "I feel bad about not leaving a tip as I had no cash". REALLY!!! A Lyft customer says they feel bad about not leaving a tip when they can leave a tip in the app. WTH!!!
As a rider, it took me a couple times to remember to add the tip when closing out the ride. Once I went running after the driver to give him $5 after I realized it, and the other I stiffed the poor driver. Still feel bad about that, even though most riders in BOTH systems don't tip.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I guess you love making pennies and cry about the tip. Why would you care so much about having a tip feature when no one tip on lyft anyways.
You should know by now that you've got to offer higher quality bait than that. My advice - have a think and then come back when you've come up with something a bit better.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
As a rider, it took me a couple times to remember to add the tip when closing out the ride. Once I went running after the driver to give him $5 after I realized it, and the other I stiffed the poor driver. Still feel bad about that, even though most riders in BOTH systems don't tip.
There is also an option in the Lyft app to go back and add a tip even after the ride has been closed by both driver and passenger. I've had several passengers on Lyft go back and add a tip later.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
There is also an option in the Lyft app to go back and add a tip even after the ride has been closed by both driver and passenger. I've had several passengers on Lyft go back and add a tip later.
I had no idea about this. That's why magic tips appear. I'll figure that out next time I forget (which, since I'm driving, is unlikely to happen).

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I had no idea about this. That's why magic tips appear. I'll figure that out next time I forget (which, since I'm driving, is unlikely to happen).
I think there is a time limit on it too, not sure how long. I just looked over some of my trips I took as a Lyft pax, last one was Super Bowl Sunday, and the option isn't there. But I know I've seen the option to tip later on rides I've taken as a passenger. I've also seen the magic tips appear later as a driver.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts

Uber execs in SF are high fiving each other & laughing at you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts