Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep anyone using this will be taking rating hits
It's definitely possible but the thing to keep in mind is there is no financial benefit to being at a 4.9 vs a 4.7. So if you're already in the 4.8-4.9 range and this drops your score by .1, you're still safe and you just put more money (or at least the potential of more money) in your pocket. This seems like kind of a no-brainer to people who are complaining about low rates and not getting enough tips but it's also a lot easier to just complain about it instead of actually doing anything.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Any driver could accomplish the same thing Vugo is doing by simply getting the customers email address before they leave and asking how much they want to tip. Then use your paypal account to send the email address a request for the money. That's exactly what Vugo is doing except they are probably taking a percentage off the top to cover their paypal fees (given they are using their paypal account to collect it and then forward it to you) plus a little extra for the effort. Or they are covering those Paypal costs from the Vugo advertising revenue they are doing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think Vugo takes anything from the tips, only the standard paypal fees. They are clearly using this feature to get people to sign up so they can then deliver ads. The tipping feature is just a nice byproduct for drivers.

A screen with a tip option is SO much more frictionless, it's not even a good argument. I bet I could get 3-5x the tips with this screen up compared to someone who is taking down people's e-mails and then sending them an invoice through paypal. Sorry just thinking about doing it your way makes it sound more and more ludicrous. Even the square reader is clumsy since it requires pax to really be motivated/want to leave a tip when the ride is over.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
My way doesn't require the investment of a tablet, and the risk of pax destroying it with their disgusting hands, or worse yet stealing it. The only way the tablet investment is justified is by Vugo's ad revenue, when it finally matures in the drivers market. Tips alone wouldn't justify the tablet investment and risk.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It sounds more like you're just unwilling to overcome inertia, which seems to be a common problem for many, not just you. Hopefully other drivers will actually be willing to take some action.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
It sounds more like you're just unwilling to overcome inertia
No. I just don't do things until the math shows a return on investment that is worth it. I know that makes me very different than most Uber drivers who do things based on the assumption that it's worth it, some of which don't even have the math skills to measure worth.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's definitely possible but the thing to keep in mind is there is no financial benefit to being at a 4.9 vs a 4.7. So if you're already in the 4.8-4.9 range and this drops your score by .1, you're still safe and you just put more money (or at least the potential of more money) in your pocket. This seems like kind of a no-brainer to people who are complaining about low rates and not getting enough tips but it's also a lot easier to just complain about it instead of actually doing anything.
There is no financial benefit, but on the flip side, a 4.9 gives you a lot more wiggle room if you have a bad night.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The big hits that drivers are getting day after day are the rates CUT.
PayPal has an app just like square reader - I have both, but honestly can't say that I've had anyone use either. You can post the stickers in your car. Mine is behind the center console on the ac outlet cover. If I know I'm going to use someone in the service business I will make sure I have cash, as I rarely carry cash especially if I think there won't be an option to use a card. That's just me, so these people either are or are not interested in tipping. I do get tips in cash only, thus far.
image.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Using the tablet can be a viable tool. I need to figure how to mount it in the vehicle. Since many carriers now give you a tablet with the purchase of a new cell phone (also because it's an upsell on services), there is no cost in many cases except the added bandwidth.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think Vugo takes anything from the tips, only the standard paypal fees. They are clearly using this feature to get people to sign up so they can then deliver ads. The tipping feature is just a nice byproduct for drivers.

A screen with a tip option is SO much more frictionless, it's not even a good argument. I bet I could get 3-5x the tips with this screen up compared to someone who is taking down people's e-mails and then sending them an invoice through paypal. Sorry just thinking about doing it your way makes it sound more and more ludicrous. Even the square reader is clumsy since it requires pax to really be motivated/want to leave a tip when the ride is over.
I am thinking of the ad revenue portion. If some of the ad buy comes to the driver then it would be an additional revenue stream.
Thanks Harry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just so you know, at the moment we are covering the transaction fees for drivers to receive tips. We are hoping that this will be worth it for drivers, more importantly we hope that we can put some pressure on Uber to directly allow their passengers to tip drivers electronically. Which would be the best outcome for us.

We are offering this tipping feature to drivers at our own cost, so build rapport, and help drivers understand that we are a driver focused company.

Thanks for the support guys. We appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
so you will count on Uber to support you advertising things other than Uber and them supporting you and getting tips via a way around their proclaimed "no tips are necessary" guidelines?
Uber cancels drivers for mentioning lyft during rides.
I mean name any situation where Uber would have your back by trying to make a lil extra money because of their low pay???????????????????????

1 - 20 of 29 Posts